Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2002 10:20:42 AM EDT
Congratulations to the newest members of the NRA.
Not wanting to hijack a thread or for the points to get lost in one, I started a new Topic.
I was prompted to write this based on the other thread about joining the NRA.
[b]I urge the vast number of participants on the AR15.com site to join and show what a strong voice WE are.[/b]

-------[url]http://www.mynra.com/[/url]-------

I'm writing to get a couple of ideas across to you.
I'm telling you that the NRA must increase its membership and that the current membership is a little disappointed and lacking some trust in the organization, from what I read on the Forums I visit on the internet.

It seems one of the major irritations is the amount of money spent on junk mail.  Save it for lobbying or recruiting new members, please.

Another peeve is the seemingly indifferent attitude towards the members who are mainly interested in the protection/right to keep and bear arms.  Your focus on hunting is ignoring the backbone of your membership.  Most of the die-hard gun owners are interested in keeping their guns and not having any more restrictions placed on them.
Hunting is fine for those that do it.  Keeping their guns is what most members see as most important.
Please don't ignore those of us that have a keen interest in the more modern military firearms and our wish to keep them unrestricted.

Yet another source of anguish is the public/members view of the NRA as being wishy-washy and giving in to politics.
Some of the members see the NRA as giving in too much.  The upcoming sunset of the Assault Weapon bill must be just that.  Please help ensure it.

If much of the funding for sending junk mail were redirected toward getting a larger number of members, the NRA would be that much stronger.
The constant barrage of mail asking for more money turns people off and away.
A one year membership at a substantially lowered cost would up the membership, I'm sure.

Get on the offensive NOW, way before the election year starts and get the public behind you.  9-11-2001 should be a major focal point in your program to get more members.
Not negative advertising, mind you.
Positive messages about our unique right as Americans to own firearms.  Stay strong.  Stay Free.  That sort of thing.
A strong membership and the sunset of the Assault Weapon ban in conjunction with the re-election of "W" would go a long way toward making America stronger.

That's enough ranting for now.
Thank you for your consideration.
---------------------------------

Link Posted: 7/6/2002 12:20:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 12:41:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Really.   I must have 5 pounds of their junk that has come in over the last year.

My membership is lapsed, and I doubt if it's going to be renewed -- because of this.

And also because they seem to adopt the stance that in PRK it's either "really bad new firearms laws", or "even worse ones" -- their lobbyist isn't doing shit for us.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 12:46:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 1:03:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 1:13:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
somone should print out this page once its 2-3 pages long and then send it to the nra:)
View Quote

Not someone, [b]EVERYONE[/b]...

And we should print it on the same day.....

Mail it on the same day......

Send it to the same high ranking person.....

My NRA junkmail would feed a starving child in Botsanesia for 873 years.......

Link Posted: 7/6/2002 1:24:53 PM EDT
[#6]
They probably do get a lot of money from the junk mail, so maybe what they should do is provider an opt-out at renewal time.

Oh yeah, over two years ago I sent them an e-mail asking for a copy of the bylaws.
They never answered. At all.  Not even to tell me that I could shove it.

Link Posted: 7/6/2002 1:42:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I let my membership lapse but it had nothing to do with the solicitation for donations.  I don't care about those, it's a piece of mail, throw it away.  The reason I let my membership lapse is that they do a horrid job of protecting our rights.  I am almost convinced that they don't want us to have more than enough rights left to justify their continued existence in the political realm so as to perpetuate the income of their board members and executives.

Ideally I'd like to see the NRA get out of the political arena all together and stick what they do really well, which is instruction, training, and shooting events.  The GOA is a much finer organization for the protection of our rights, unfortunately they do not have the membership, thus the power yet, to be very effective.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 3:21:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 3:42:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm a life member of GOA and NRA.
I'd like to see the NRA take a [b]firm[/b] stand behind the 2nd.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 3:54:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
while i was an nra member i sent several letters and email asking for their views on "assault" style weapons.
I never got so much as a form letter response. It's really funny how they want my money but when i asked about anything i was completely ignored.
Simply put the only thing the NRA wants is your money.
View Quote

They helped write the "Assault Weapons " ban, that's why you never got a response. I will NEVER join ANY organization that bargains with my G*D_GIVEN rights!!!!
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 6:31:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 6:41:48 PM EDT
[#12]
IIRC, my right to own firearms - which I sincerely believe in - comes from the United States Constitution, Second Amendment, which, I believe, was not written by God.
View Quote

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their [b]Creator[/b] with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

We don't have the rights listed in the Constitution because of the Constitution.  We have them, because every person does.  If the only reason we had them was because of the Constitution, then it could be amended to take them away.  That's a scary thought.z
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 6:53:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I will NEVER join ANY organization that bargains with my G*D_GIVEN rights!!!!
View Quote

God gave you the right to own a gun?  The Almighty?  The one from the Bible, with the fire and brimstone and all that?  Did he tell you this in a vision or something?  'Cuz I don't remember anything in my 12 years of Lutheran education that indicated that God gave me the right to own a pre-ban.  

IIRC, my right to own firearms - which I sincerely believe in - comes from the United States Constitution, Second Amendment, which, I believe, was not written by God.  
View Quote

As a matter of fact, YES! I have been given the right, (by G*d), to defend myself, my family, friends and Country by whatever means necessary....
[b]Luke 22:36  Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.[/b]
Rights don't come from Constitutions or governments. Our founders understood that. Lutheran school?? Guess they forgot the bible, or maybe you were "absent" that day....
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 7:13:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 7:28:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
[b]Luke 22:38:  And they said, "Look, Lord, here are two swords."  And He said to them, "It is enough".[/b]  

So I guess we can all have two guns, right?  After all, The Lord said two swords are enough.  

If you read that part of Luke in context, you'll see that Jesus is preparing His disciples for his death on the cross, and basically telling them that they'll have to take care of themselves after He's gone.  That's why, in Verse 35, He begins by saying that when I sent you out without purse or sandals, you didn't lack anything, but now (i.e., after the Crucifixion), you'll need a purse, and bag, and a sword.

I don't think it's really a Holy endorsement for packin' heat.

Liberty86, Zoom, please don't get me wrong, I'm all in favor of RKBA and everything.  I just get a little hinkey when people start quoting scripture, because you could support just about anything with some Bible verse.  The Devil can quote scripture for his own purposes.

I also feel that running around quoting scripture to support the RKBA can tend to make us look like a bunch of fundamentalist religious zealots, which ain't the way to mainstream the pro-gun crowd.  

My .02.  I know others have different opinions, and I respect them, their opinions, and their right to express them.    
View Quote

As you can see, he was preparing them for self defense. As for the "fundamentalist zealot" statement, would that be comparable to someone who is a "strict constructionist" of the Constitution?? If so,[b]I am both![/b]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 7:34:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 7:41:30 PM EDT
[#17]
the constitution doesnt GIVE rights, it was meant to protect god given rights.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 8:00:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 6:24:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
All the scripture aside, I will say that I don't like the junk mail anymore then the rest of you but I do still belong.

For all of you that say the NRA isn't doing what you want, tell me what you think your gun rights would be like at the moment without the NRA. Something makes me think that this country would be like England or Australia at the moment.

If that AssClown Clinton is willing to stand up and say the NRA was a major factor in Gore losing the election then that should be enough for everyone one of you to send a check.
View Quote

Here, here! [beer]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top