Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2002 9:42:22 AM EDT
OK, you guys really helped on the first letter to the editor last month.  It was published a couple of weeks ago.  Suprisingly favorable responses from my co-workers.  So, here's the next in the series.

Has anyone else submitted the first one to their local paper?

[b]Airport Security[/b]

Is the US attempting to guard against something that is likely to happen again?  Maybe we should review our reactionary responses to tighter security due to the September 11th hijackings and terrorist actions.  After all how can anyone really guarantee our safety?  And, is guaranteeing our safety half way any better than what we had?  I don't think there is any way to absolutely ensure our safety.  Is the questionable attempt to minimize the risk worth the loss of our liberty?  One thing for sure, if I am on a flight that someone attempts to take-over I will do everything in my power to stop it, without hesitation.  I know I'm not alone in my thinking.

How will the increased security really help?  Has it helped?  One view is that disarming the honest people on the flight will make it easier for a hijacker to execute his plan.  Hijackers know this.  Perfect examples can be seen in Great Britain.  Since the firearm ban there has been an increase in firearm related crime.  British citizens are walking around with a sacrificial wallet filled with expired credit cards and a little money in the hopes that it will satisfy an attacker.  I prefer not to live that way. The more laws our politicians pass the closer we come to that state.  

If you agree, write or email your politicians and let them know that enough is enough. Why don't we enforce the laws we have?

Bill Wall
Greensboro NC

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top