Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
12/6/2019 7:27:02 PM
Posted: 2/26/2007 3:55:07 PM EST
Dear Mr. Roundbelly,(edited to protect the guilty...me)

Thank you for contacting me to express your views about H.R. 1022, the "Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2007." I appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts with me.

In 1993, Congress enacted a statutory ban on manufacturing and purchasing certain semi-automatic firearms in the United States. The prohibition on semi-automatic firearms, however, expired on September 13, 2004. You should know that I opposeed the assault weapons ban in 1993.

Introduced by Representative Carolyn McCarthy (D-NY), H.R. 1022 would re-authorize the 1993 assault weapons ban for another ten years. While numerous legislative proposals have been introduced to either re-authorize a 10-year ban or make permanent the ban on purchasing and manufacturing certain semi-automatic firearms, I will not support any of them if they come to the floor of the U.S. House of Representatives. America is already overburdened by thousands of gun laws in this country, most of which are ineffective or loosely enforced. In fact, according to a study conducted by the U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics, while legislatures, including Congress, had enacted these laws under the guise of "preventing" the illegal distribution of firearms, 80 percent of criminals who possessed a firearm stated that they obtained that firearm through family, friends, a street buy, or an illegal source. In other words, gun control laws don't work very well at all.

Quite frankly, the assault weapons ban did little to prevent criminals from illegally obtaining firearms. As such, rather than encroaching on the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding American citizens, we should be looking to enact laws that effectively deal with crime in the United States.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please do not hesitate to call on me if I may be of assistance in the future.

Sincerely,

John Linder
Member of Congress
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 3:58:01 PM EST
What a guy!

Why can't they all be like that?
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 3:59:33 PM EST

Originally Posted By OFFSHORE:
What a guy!

popularity.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:00:12 PM EST
Rep. John Linder....I like your style.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:22:20 PM EST
Nice.

My initial impression is that we need a bunch more like this guy.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:28:31 PM EST
awesome finally someone who thinks realistically
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:37:05 PM EST
John Linder kicks ass.

He's the author of the FairTax bill that went nowhere while the Rs had all of Congress.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:38:54 PM EST
John Linder is awsome. One of the best R's on the Hill. He is spot on with the FairTax......
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:40:35 PM EST

Originally Posted By OFFSHORE:
What a guy!

+1
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:40:44 PM EST
this Bud's for you, Rep. John Linder!

--VT
Top Top