Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/5/2015 9:58:14 PM EDT
Carhartt thread got me thinking.  I love my carhartt base layer/thermals.  Good price, great performance.

But I also own two full sets of Patagonia bottoms and tops.  Both were given to me by my parents 20+ years ago, still going strong and still my favorites.

I consider a "base layer" as long underwear - warmth above all.  I've owned all kinds of cheap shit that calls itself a "base layer" and I don't know why I keep trying that crap.  I'm used to the good shit via Carhartt and Patagonia.  So here's the two applications I'm used to and what folks think:

Cold as fuck, max warmth, stationary (think fishing in 30 degrees on the water with your but on a boat, same as hunting on a stand covered in ice)
Cold as fuck, active, max warmth but don't get wet

I actually got hot shoveling snow today and I'm happy that I did.  I can always cool down, but I didn't get wet.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:01:23 PM EDT
[#1]
The North Face makes some really good ones. I also have Carharts. I do really like the Nike Dryfit as well.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:03:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Pantyhose. Believe it or not.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:05:20 PM EDT
[#3]
No reason to buy cotton unless you are not leaving your house.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:05:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The North Face makes some really good ones. I also have Carharts. I do really like the Nike Dryfit as well.
View Quote

ok, now you're just fucking with me.  I can tell by the punctuation and my shilling for patigonia.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:06:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I use extreme cold rated polypropylene base layer with insulated jeans and striker ice bibs on top the polypropylene thick top with a sweatshirt and then a hoodie and a heavy jacket to top it off. Polypropylene socks under thick wool socks and Columbia thermal reflective boots.
I like the "sirus" gloves. Warm and maintain dexterity. Carhart hat.

Usually too warm for anything above 0 degrees.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:08:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Every time this comes up, I recommend the same place.

https://www.goathleticapparel.com/

Best base layers made, US-made and manufactured, and cheaper than almost any imported crap. Awesome stuff.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:09:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I use extreme cold rated polypropylene base layer with insulated jeans and striker ice bibs on top the polypropylene thick top with a sweatshirt and then a hoodie and a heavy jacket to top it off. Polypropylene socks under thick wool socks and Columbia thermal reflective boots.
I like the "sirus" gloves. Warm and maintain dexterity. Carhart hat.

Usually too warm for anything above 0 degrees.
View Quote

LOL!  Ok then.  Lay it on the newbie if y'all want.

I just wanted some good long johns.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:10:56 PM EDT
[#8]
patagonia's capilene baselayers are amazing.  probably the best warmth retention to weight ratio i've personally encountered.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:14:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

why is that?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:16:11 PM EDT
[#10]
smartwool, expensive but worth every penny
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:16:38 PM EDT
[#11]
patagonia keeps me warm.  But, they are costly and last a couple winters before they develop a crotch blowout.  They are still useful after that, but, you know.

I don't know what to recommend really, because if you do physical work, stuff wears out.  A farm store union suit is probably better cost/performance ratio, but you have to take it all down to take a shit.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:16:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm a wool fan.  My favorite base layer for (duck) hunting is merino wool tops and bottoms when it dips below 50.  Busting your ass getting through a mucky swamp and then sitting still for a couple of hours makes you learn how to layer really quick.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:17:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
patagonia's capilene baselayers are amazing.  probably the best warmth retention to weight ratio i've personally encountered.
View Quote

I run in this down to the mid 20's with nothing over it.  Works great as a base layer when being stationary as well.

I also like merino wool.  I've used it often and it has worked well.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:17:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

why is that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

why is that?

It's about the worst thing you can wear if you perspire at all.  

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:19:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Best base layers made, US-made and manufactured, and cheaper than almost any imported crap. Awesome stuff.
View Quote

I have plenty of their stuff thanks to this site. Made in USA, good stuff.  

But it's not what I reach for first as they're all in my closet.  My point is a "base layer" isn't the same as long undies.  "base layer" just keeps the chill off the skin, I want "long undies" meaning you can walk out in just the undies and be pretty comfortable in 30 degree weather.  For about 60 seconds.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:20:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:21:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

why is that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

why is that?
Cotton retains moisture and once it is wet, you easily become chilled.      

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:22:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

why is that?

Says the guy from the Cotton Belt.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:24:17 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

why is that?

It is what it is...

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:24:52 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

But it's not what I reach for first as they're all in my closet.  My point is a "base layer" isn't the same as long undies.  "base layer" just keeps the chill off the skin, I want "long undies" meaning you can walk out in just the undies and be pretty comfortable in 30 degree weather.  For about 60 seconds.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you have the sub-zero stuff? That's more akin to what you're wanting, but I'd say for myself that the normal cold layers they sell are warmer than any long johns I've ever owned.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:26:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I've owned all kinds of cheap shit that calls itself a "base layer" and I don't know why I keep trying that crap..
View Quote

I guess I kinda figured poly-blend skin tight shit was all about the same. I could be very wrong though. Then again, you're not in the frozen north so I'm not sure I entirely believe what you have to say either.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:27:16 PM EDT
[#22]
I have set of Cabela's version of the Polartec ECWCS that I'm happy with. The bottoms are thin enough to wear under jeans. The 1/4 zip top is a bit bulkier but still fits comfortably under a sweater. Keeps me toasty when outdoors during the winter months. Granted I haven't used it just sitting around in the outdoors and I'm not in the artic and the coldest it gets around here is single digits without wind chill.

I have a set of Helly Hanson wool thermals on order also  based on reviews on Amazon.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:29:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Layer 1

ETA: A base layer is just that, a base layer. Which is a moisture wicking layer
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:30:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd give it a try on your recomandtaion if they had a zip-neck. With almost everything active I do outside there are periods where I'm warm and then cold. Being able to open and close the neck is a major factor for me.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:33:32 PM EDT
[#25]
I use Cabela's ECWCS power dry polar weight. These things realy breathe but are very warm. If you really want warm for stationry conditions I use the Gen 3 Level 2 grid fleece issued by the military, made by miliken I believe. I also have merino base layer tops.

Most base layers are made to wick and breathe for the winter activities where you are active. Most of the descriptions are temp regulating. What most manufacturers consider heavyweight, I consider midweight.

-10 last night at work and I wore the Gen 3 Level 2 top and bottom with light weight wicking top and bottom underneath. Jeans and sweatshirt. Insulated carhartt bibs and Cat parka, which isn't heavily insulated but blocks the wind. I was warm when not real active and did not sweat bad when I was working hard.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:34:00 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote
Looks like decent stuff. Prices seem reasonable too. I'll have to check some out.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:37:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Smart wool
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:38:08 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I'd give it a try on your recomandtaion if they had a zip-neck. With almost everything active I do outside there are periods where I'm warm and then cold. Being able to open and close the neck is a major factor for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The Sub-Zero shirts have a zip neck. I'm the same way, prefer that greatly.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:41:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:41:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:44:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Smart wool
View Quote

+1

And Icebreaker and Ibex.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:49:17 PM EDT
[#32]
A good base layer lower should have a cut that makes it acceptable to wear by itself in public, and they shouldn't have zippers, at the ankles or anywhere else.  But, I haven't seen anything like that in years, though maybe I just haven't looked hard enough.

I had an awesome pair of Patagonia climbing tights that had an acceptably loose cut, but I lost them in the most ironic of places.  I miss those pants.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:49:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Under Armour Cold Gear Base layers

Use 2.0 mostly hunting standing for hours in teens and single digits with nothing but the base layer, insulated pants and jacket; no need for additional layering.

Use 2.0 & 3.0 snowboarding when it's in the negatives with again nothing but shell pants and shell jacket yet still plenty warm.

I don't get anything else but UA to keep light on layers and warm.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:05:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm a wool fan.  My favorite base layer for (duck) hunting is merino wool tops and bottoms when it dips below 50.  Busting your ass getting through a mucky swamp and then sitting still for a couple of hours makes you learn how to layer really quick.  
View Quote

Merino wool= the kind
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:12:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Merino wool= the kind
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Merino wool= the kind

Yes.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:19:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Merino wool for me

Stoic makes good stuff... Distributed in the US by backcountry.com

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:23:54 PM EDT
[#37]
I've been damn near living in the same pair of issued black base layer top and bottoms since all this snow starting happening a few weeks ago.

I really need another set so I can wash these
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:25:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I've been damn near living in the same pair of issued black base layer top and bottoms since all this snow starting happening a few weeks ago.

I really need another set so I can wash these
View Quote

You wash them?  
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:27:35 PM EDT
[#39]
I use the first 2 layers of the Army 7 layer system quite often.  The silk weights and grid fleece are great on their own, combined, or in conjunction with an outer layer depending on conditions or activity level.  

I love my grid fleece almost as much as my woobie.....almost.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:34:30 PM EDT
[#40]
I have two of the Patagonia series.  Although I haven't seen one pair of the legs for two years. I'm sure it's around here somewhere...

Anyway, those keep you warm. Period!
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:38:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Capilene and other thin stuff is great as a base layer.  But if you are doing something sedentary you need actual insulation.

http://www.hanksclothing.com/quilted-thermal-underpants-by-woolx.html

These are good.  If they were filled with prima-loft they would be even warmer, but the price isn't bad and is less than some of the much less warm brand name poly-pros.

I still wear Capilene under them.  Helps stop air movement.

They make an undershirt, but I don't bother since Prima-loft is much warmer for the bulk.

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:39:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Merino wool.

First Lite.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:49:41 AM EDT
[#43]
I have a Wintersilk top and long underwear.  They're very warm and tend to be pretty lightweight.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:49:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Hot Chillies are good.

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:03:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Use 2.0 mostly hunting standing for hours in teens and single digits with nothing but the base layer, insulated pants and jacket; no need for additional layering.

Use 2.0 & 3.0 snowboarding when it's in the negatives with again nothing but shell pants and shell jacket yet still plenty warm.

View Quote

I have 2.0 and 4.0 and I'm very happy with them. I'm wearing my 4.0 lower set now under my jeans.

They were a gift so I don't know what they cost, but most of my other Under Armor stuff was kind of expensive. Regardless, I'm quite happy with them.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:25:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I have 2.0 and 4.0 and I'm very happy with them. I'm wearing my 4.0 lower set now under my jeans.

They were a gift so I don't know what they cost, but most of my other Under Armor stuff was kind of expensive. Regardless, I'm quite happy with them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks everybody, lots to look at.  I like my under armor stuff for hot weather.  Their hot gear boxer briefs I've nicknamed "happy ball" underwear because playing golf in 90+ degrees with those on = happy balls.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:28:44 PM EDT
[#47]
I've been wearing some stuff called heat I got at costco.  Wear is under jeans and a dress shirt.  I spend a lot of time outside when I'm working and it has done well for this year.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:32:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I've been wearing some stuff called heat I got at costco.  Wear is under jeans and a dress shirt.  I spend a lot of time outside when I'm working and it has done well for this year.  
View Quote

I've got some of those as well.  For the price they work really well.  They're not going to perform with the higher end stuff, but again for the price it's a steal.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:33:11 PM EDT
[#49]
I use cheap polartec light base under military poly pros.  Hard to beat the performance for the money.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:34:22 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm too cheap to replace all of the old military poly pro, silkweights and waffles that I still have
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top