Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2012 5:40:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2012 5:41:43 AM EDT by mjohn3006]
My pumpkin, orange and jalapeno meads tasted pretty darn good at racking and should be fantastic finished products using basic everyday grocery store clover honey.

I went to the hippy organic froo froo grocery store yesterday because they actually have the best price on honey around here, and I picked up 15 lbs of Gunters Clover for my big batch of pumpkin mead I am getting ready to do for a fall party.

While tasting my batches I got the itch to just make a basic mead. No fruit, just honey, maybe a touch of spices but mostly just honey. But wow are there some options.

Clover, tulipo, orange blossom, wildflower, buckwheat. and several others.

Clover is the basic go with all base.
I love wildflower honey on toast or cereal or just about anything. It is my favorite "eating" honey. So it makes my think I would love a mead with it.
Orange tastes great, but I guess for a normal mead, why use orange if I'm not putting oranges in it.
Tulipo??????? Never tried it.
Buckwheat. Well I like it sometimes on toast, but I think for mead it would be to strong.

What other honey have you tried that made a great mead?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:47:55 AM EDT
My sister had some leatherwood honey from Australia that she said made the best mead she ever put in her mouth but I've only managed to find a 5 ounce can of it here in the states and it was WAY too pricy to buy the quantity you'd need for a mead.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:22:41 AM EDT
Originally Posted By walt_l:
My sister had some leatherwood honey from Australia that she said made the best mead she ever put in her mouth but I've only managed to find a 5 ounce can of it here in the states and it was WAY too pricy to buy the quantity you'd need for a mead.

hmmm.... $40 for a tad over 2 lbs. I could do a half gallon batch.
I paid $40 yesterday for 15 lbs of clover to do 5 gallons of mead.

http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Nectar-Real-Leatherwood-Honey/dp/B0008IUV5I

But if it is that good, it might be a fun. It would be like spending $20 per 750 ml bottle. I know I and many people have spent more than $20 on a good bottle of wine. This is no different except I have to do a little work with it.
Since I am new to this I will wait until I have a few more successful batches of mead under my belt before I chance throwing away $40 on a small batch.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:40:06 AM EDT
mjohn, if you haven't, the site gotmead.com seems to be the hardcore place for that stuff, give it a look.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:26:32 AM EDT
The only thing I can add is that things taste differently when all the sugar is gone. I would think wild flower honey would get kind of weedy in flavor after fermenting. I know one reason folks pick orange blossom is it tends to keep its "orangy" flavor after it ferments. Clover is mild in flavor and that is probably why it is a basic honey for mead.

Just thinking out loud here.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:13:16 PM EDT
Show meads come down to the honey and age.

I would go with what you like the taste of best. Tupelo is known for good mead. With Buckwheat, some folks put a bit in with other honeys that are a bit milder for a more flavorful mead. The best mead I ever tasted was simple Polish "forest" honey that was extensivley aged. The quality of the honey is more important than the type. So, by local and forget the fancy stuff.

Also, Orange Blossom makes a good show mead. Here's a recipe from Schramm

15 Lbs orange blossom
4 gallons water
2 teaspoon nutrient
1 teaspoon energizer
2 packets Lavlin71B - 1122 (or try D47 - it's slow,though)

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:10:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/5/2012 4:49:46 AM EDT by mjohn3006]
Well a friend at work just gave me two small bottles of 3 year old mead he made. One with killer bee honey and the other with wildflower.

So I'll get to taste a wildflower mead. This is the third time at work I have had someone bring me homemade alcohol in my first 6 months being here. I love this place.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:19:11 PM EDT
I had some old Joe's Ancient Orange I found laying around, and took it to the family Christmas party. It must have been about 3 years old. It was as smooth as chilled plum wine.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:56:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mjohn3006:
Well a friend at work just gave me two small bottles of 3 year old mead he made. One with killer bee honey and the other with wildflower.

So I'll get to taste a wildflower mead. This is the third time at work I have had someone bring me homemade alcohol in my first 6 months being here. I love this place.

Are they hiring? I work hard, learn fast and can relocate .

Top Top