Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2010 5:24:31 AM EDT
Just picked up a new 2009 700cc Yamaha Grizzly.  I wanted the camo but this was a hold over and the price was $2k cheaper.

What do you guys have and what have you done to them?

This Grizzly has a 5.3 gallon tank, as of now I've gone 36 miles on 1/4 tank, about 50/50 road and ditch riding.
If my math doesn't fail me that's ~ 27mpg.

Color me impressed!

Its got some good power to it.  But I found myself already looking at clutch kits and fuel controllers.

I've got this Moose Utility trunk on order.

Here's the blue bullet.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:55:13 AM EDT
[#1]

Mid 80's Hustler.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:45:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I just sold my YFM Raptor 600R... Bored out to 686, new cam, valve job, bigger injectors, exhaust... Long travel suspension, skid plates. 'twas fun
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:22:00 PM EDT
[#3]
my 08 Grizzly 700 with 120 miles on it, no mods. yet other than Alum. control arm skid plates front and rear  but im planing on getting a warn winch and a yamaha front bumper.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:25:51 PM EDT
[#4]
03, bought pretty cheap, 750CC, took the plow off and put the full skid plate on for summer. Low miles but the last owner put some coin into it.

[/img]
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:11:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Pretty nice Yamaha Girly picts. Now it's time for a man's quad.

Can Am Outlander 800. It's got Maxxis Bighorns, skid plates, revised suspension with HPG shocks, Flexx bars with racks and winch removed. Nothing more needs done to it. The motor is already strong enough that it doesn't need a pipe. I had a flat once on one of the Bighorns, the tires kept the rim from any serious damage while I rode an entire poker run on a flat. Bighorns are some tough tires.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:22:20 AM EDT
[#6]

No, the boy didnt come with it.

03 suzuki vinson 500 4x4. This thing will go anywhere Ive got the balls to take it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:55:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n119/MCBallpeen/CIMG0528a.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n119/MCBallpeen/CIMG0527a.jpg

Can Am Outlander 800. It's got Maxxis Bighorns, skid plates, revised suspension with HPG shocks, Flexx bars with racks and winch removed. Nothing more needs done to it. The motor is already strong enough that it doesn't need a pipe. I had a flat once on one of the Bighorns, the tires kept the rim from any serious damage while I rode an entire poker run on a flat. Bighorns are some tough tires.

How is the Can Am holding up?  A good friend of mine had on and said it would go like a raped ape but just didn't seem to be holding up like his Cat did or the Honda he has.  I've heard of guys having issues with bent frames also.  Any truth to that?

I raced my father on his 04 Arctic Cat 650 twin.  He was talking it up saying he whooped an 07 Polaris 700.  Lets just say I walked him from the line all the way to the end of the driveway.  About 200 yard race.
Then I let him drive it and he wants to trade in his Cat now. hahahahahaha

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:09:08 PM EDT
[#8]
It has held up pretty well. I ride hard and fast and don't like to just putt along. Of the things I replaced were the rear plastic (it cracked) and that's about it. I did submerge it once. It's nice to know that your ATV will float even with you on it, but that was more my fault than the quads. I replaced the oil filter and the oil (six times before it came out non milky).

I know about Honda relability as I've had Honda quads and trikes in the past. So I know what I'm talking about. This quad has been at least as relable as the Hondas I've owned.

The bent frames are from the owners not putting skid plates on the machines and running into boulders. Putting skid plates was the first thing I did to the machine.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:54:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n119/MCBallpeen/CIMG0528a.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n119/MCBallpeen/CIMG0527a.jpg

How is the Can Am holding up?  A good friend of mine had on and said it would go like a raped ape but just didn't seem to be holding up like his Cat did or the Honda he has.  I've heard of guys having issues with bent frames also.  Any truth to that?

I raced my father on his 04 Arctic Cat 650 twin.  He was talking it up saying he whooped an 07 Polaris 700.  Lets just say I walked him from the line all the way to the end of the driveway.  About 200 yard race.
Then I let him drive it and he wants to trade in his Cat now. hahahahahaha

The issues with bent frames is true.  I almost bought one, but the frame issue scared me away.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:37:45 AM EDT
[#10]
If you're going to invest in a $10,000 quad, you might as well invest in a $300 set of skid plates. Now is not the time to get cheap. There is no frame cracking / bending on a properly set up Outlander / Renegade. Now some people may say that it "should have come from the factory that way", but look at all of the people who never take their machines off their own property. There are a metric shit ton of people on this board who only use these quads for doing chores around the house.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:45:43 AM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:43:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you're going to invest in a $10,000 quad, you might as well invest in a $300 set of skid plates. Now is not the time to get cheap. There is no frame cracking / bending on a properly set up Outlander / Renegade. Now some people may say that it "should have come from the factory that way", but look at all of the people who never take their machines off their own property. There are a metric shit ton of people on this board who only use these quads for doing chores around the house.

I agree to a certain extent, but you might want to re-think calling a Yamaha quad "girly".  It can hit a pothole at high speed or a larger object at low speed without bending the frame.  Many Outlander and Renegade owners found out the hard way that their $10,000 Can Am cannot do the same.  If Can Am wants to sell these quads as is, they should include a waiver stating that their quads are designed to be used by old men who never leave their own property.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:30:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Does this count?

+2 a-arms
450r shocks
lonestar carrier, steering stem
flex bars
AC nerf bars
450r carb
stage2 cam
416 kit 11:1 comp
Lots of powdercoat
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:18:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree to a certain extent, but you might want to re-think calling a Yamaha quad "girly".  It can hit a pothole at high speed or a larger object at low speed without bending the frame.  Many Outlander and Renegade owners found out the hard way that their $10,000 Can Am cannot do the same.  If Can Am wants to sell these quads as is, they should include a waiver stating that their quads are designed to be used by old men who never leave their own property.

It was never about hitting potholes, it was about bashing the frame on rocks. That's what causes the frames to crack and bend. When the Outlander / Renegade came out the whole idea was for the frame to "ski" over the obstacle. It was like this on the 400s and worked out pretty well. However, when you add more horsepower (and more speed) from a larger displacement motor that theory didn't hold up. People began bashing their frames really hard against rocks with the resulting frame cracking / bending. The newer Outlanders now have a center skid plate that should alievate the problem.

I like to call the Grizzlys "Girlys" because they have no power. It would be a good girl's quad because you don't have to worry about the power (or lack there of) intimidating them. Compare their whole 50 horsepower to a Can Am and they seriously come up short. The Outlander 650 makes over 60 and the 800 makes 71. To be fair to Yamaha (or Kawasaki, or Honda or Suzuki) they do have a self imposed limit as to how much a quad can weigh. No more than 600 lbs. This severly limits the amount of horsepower they can make. While the American manufacturers have no limit (Polaris, Arctic Cat and Can Am) and can generally be heavier and have more powerful engines.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:05:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Lets not turn this into a my cock is bigger then yours thread.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:25:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Lets not turn this into a my cock is bigger then yours thread.

Well, it is............

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:31:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Well, since you asked.......

2003 Z400

Engine:
Millennium Technologies 94mm cylinder
CP 12.5:1 Piston
DRZe valve springs
DID cam chain
Ferrea stainless valves with 3 angle job by Eddie Sisneros
Oldstyle Hotcams Stage 2 Intake & Exhaust
YFZ FCR 39mm
ESR Airbox Eliminator with ESR outerwares and Zip'n'Z splash guard
Yoshimura TRC titanium full system
Barnett carbon fiber clutch
Dyna NP CDI
Thumper Talk manual tensioner
Trail Tech -16oz flywheel
Yoshimura billet timing inspection bolt
CV4 silicone radiator hoses

Dynoed 47.32 HP / 32.84 TQ @ LS Sandsports

Suspension:
Elka Recreational piggyback triple-rate shocks with Elka shock covers
LTR 450 rear hubs

Controls:
Elka System 3 steering damper
Pro Taper 1 1/8" bars with Pro Taper/Rockstar pad
Moose billet fat bar adapters
ODI Rogue lock-on grips
Black blob removed
YZ kill switch for starter
Dr.D reverse lever
ModQuad extended billet throttle lever
MSR AOF clutch perch
Moose shift lever

Drivetrain:
JT Steel 13 front / 40 rear
EK Quadra X-ring gold chain
Moose billet case saver

Body/Chassis:
Race cut front plastics
Factory FX graphics
KFX 400 black tank cover
Relocated dummy lights and key
UM polished radiator grille and scoops
Yoshimura/Team Suzuki front bumper
PRM Desert wide grab bar
AC Racing nerf bars
Works Connection frame guards
HEP Products LED taillight kit
PRM Z-plate .250" swinger skid
Armadillo A-Arm skids
Armadillo frame skid

Brakes/Misc:
EBC sintered metal pads front and rear
Tusk parking brake block-off
Hardline hour meter
Raptor 660R petcock
Yuasa Raptor 660 200CCA battery

Tires/Wheels:
22x7x10 Maxxis Razr 2 on ITP Baja - Dirt
20x11x9 Maxxis Razr 2 on ITP Baja - Dirt

21x7x10 ITP Sand Star on Douglas .190s - Sand
20x10x10 Skat Trak Hauler 7 paddle on Douglas .190s - Sand

Over the past 4.5 years I've put waaaaaay too much money in it

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:42:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Holy shit Batman! Thats a lot of modding on a 4 wheeler.

Any videos of it in action?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:46:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Well, since you asked.......

2003 Z400

Engine:
Millennium Technologies 94mm cylinder
CP 12.5:1 Piston
DRZe valve springs
DID cam chain
Ferrea stainless valves with 3 angle job by Eddie Sisneros
Oldstyle Hotcams Stage 2 Intake & Exhaust
YFZ FCR 39mm
ESR Airbox Eliminator with ESR outerwares and Zip'n'Z splash guard
Yoshimura TRC titanium full system
Barnett carbon fiber clutch
Dyna NP CDI
Thumper Talk manual tensioner
Trail Tech -16oz flywheel
Yoshimura billet timing inspection bolt
CV4 silicone radiator hoses

Dynoed 47.32 HP / 32.84 TQ @ LS Sandsports

Suspension:
Elka Recreational piggyback triple-rate shocks with Elka shock covers
LTR 450 rear hubs

Controls:
Elka System 3 steering damper
Pro Taper 1 1/8" bars with Pro Taper/Rockstar pad
Moose billet fat bar adapters
ODI Rogue lock-on grips
Black blob removed
YZ kill switch for starter
Dr.D reverse lever
ModQuad extended billet throttle lever
MSR AOF clutch perch
Moose shift lever

Drivetrain:
JT Steel 13 front / 40 rear
EK Quadra X-ring gold chain
Moose billet case saver

Body/Chassis:
Race cut front plastics
Factory FX graphics
KFX 400 black tank cover
Relocated dummy lights and key
UM polished radiator grille and scoops
Yoshimura/Team Suzuki front bumper
PRM Desert wide grab bar
AC Racing nerf bars
Works Connection frame guards
HEP Products LED taillight kit
PRM Z-plate .250" swinger skid
Armadillo A-Arm skids
Armadillo frame skid

Brakes/Misc:
EBC sintered metal pads front and rear
Tusk parking brake block-off
Hardline hour meter
Raptor 660R petcock
Yuasa Raptor 660 200CCA battery

Tires/Wheels:
22x7x10 Maxxis Razr 2 on ITP Baja - Dirt
20x11x9 Maxxis Razr 2 on ITP Baja - Dirt

21x7x10 ITP Sand Star on Douglas .190s - Sand
20x10x10 Skat Trak Hauler 7 paddle on Douglas .190s - Sand

Over the past 4.5 years I've put waaaaaay too much money in it

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/awcrooks/DSC04700.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/awcrooks/DSC04429.jpg

Pretty nice, how does it do hauling deer out of the woods?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:51:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Pretty nice, how does it do hauling deer out of the woods?

It doesn't. A Polaris Ranger XP 700 is responsible for that.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:12:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:36:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I got rid of this thing a while back....there are days I sure do miss blazing around on the thing.  

I'm currently looking for a good deal on a used utility 4x4 to use deer hunting/around the farm.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4/buckfever34/IMG_5675.jpg

I'll never forget my first time on a banshee. Scared the shit out of me
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:10:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Does this count?  Sucky picture but it's all I have on this computer.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:32:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:11:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I got rid of this thing a while back....there are days I sure do miss blazing around on the thing.  

I'm currently looking for a good deal on a used utility 4x4 to use deer hunting/around the farm.

I remember when Banshees were the ONLY sport quad on the market. Honda had discontinued the TRX 250R and Suzuki had folded the LT 250R. There was only the Polaris Sport (which took a lot of modding to get up to speed) and the Banshee. I went with the Polaris Sport and went the whole "lot of modding route". I had about $10,000 into my Sport, but it would rattle and hum with the best of them. Sorry, no pictures.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:31:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Does this count?  Sucky picture but it's all I have on this computer.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h137/k12lts/Ranger.jpg

Nice looking Ranger.

I want your shed!!

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:55:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll never forget my first time on a banshee. Scared the shit out of me

It was scary fast.  No low-end torque but when the powerband kicked in you better be holding on

Ya I went from a Blaster to the Banshee.  I was able to throw the Blaster around like it was a toy, run the hell out of it and be comfortable.  Not on the Banshee, got it up to speed in 4th and pinned it.  I was barely able to react in time to keep it from flipping back on me.  Sold it 4 months later.  I knew it was just a matter of time before I hurt myself bad.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:04:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Here's my 2004 Honda Rincon:

FMF Exhaust, Dynatek Ignition box, K&N filter, Mudbuster Hotcam, necessary jetting, Highlifter springs, ITP ATR tires, on ITP wheels, ATV-Guru front and rear bumpers and receiver hitch,  Warn #3000 winch, and yes that's a stereo.  Audioforms box, with Sony Marine deck.  Kicker speakers, with Pyle marine amp.  Also have a set on 27" Mudlites on ITP wheels for when it gets muddy.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:39:37 PM EDT
[#29]
just got this yesterday, 06 foreman 500.  not sure what the hell im going to do with it but i have it.  already have skidplates and a winch on order.  And yes I have new tires for it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top