Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2013 12:30:26 AM EDT
What are your favorite meatball recipes?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:17:24 AM EDT
[#1]
4lb deer and 4lb or Italian sausage. Mix together, add 1-2 eggs and the crushed crackers until not slick anymore. Add Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning mix and run in the mixer again. I cook mine in the over 350 for 45 minutes, used to do it in a skillet, but that takes too long. A little tip, when rolling the balls put a thin layer of olive oil on your palms. It keeps the fat from the meat from sticking to your hands.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:35:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I use crushed corn flakes instead of breadcrumbs.  Gives them a firmer/less-mushy texture.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:03:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:34:37 PM EDT
[#4]
meat-1lb 80/20 ground chuck
adds-worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, mustard, chives, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and finely shredded cheddar cheese(all amounts to taste(think meatloaf w/o egg or breadcrumbs))
wrap-1 package thick cut bacon
seasoning-generic bbq rub of your choice
sauce-bbq sauce of your choice
toothpicks

mix beef and adds in a bowl and let sit(covered) in fridge overnight.
45min before cook time, take bowl out of fridge and set on counter/table.
15min before cook time, cut bacon package in half.
start portioning and rolling beef mix into balls. once the ball is formed, take a half-strip of bacon and wrap around, securing w/tooth picks and set onto a plate/tray.(repeat until done).
dust w/your seasoning
place on grill/smoker on/over medium heat
when bacon is almost crispy, glaze w/your sauce and leave them on for 10-15more min
remove from heat and place on platter/tray for serving

this is my personal method. for more variations on this idea, google....."moinks" or "moink balls"
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:43:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks everyone, looks like I'll be busy making meatballs this coming week...
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:21:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A little tip, when rolling the balls put a thin layer of olive oil on your palms. It keeps the fat from the meat from sticking to your hands.
View Quote

Better yet, use a #40 ice cream scoop to make the balls...

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:56:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't typically measure, I go by the smell of the meat mixture. None of these ingredients are extraordinaryin and of themselves, but the emphasis on fresh makes them world class., so here goes nothing:

Ingredients:
3lbs NY Strip + 1lb ribeye ground together
Fresh parsley, chopped fine
Fresh oregano, chopped fine
Fresh thyme, chopped fine
Fresh garlic, minced
Kosher Salt
Fresh, coarse ground tellicherry pepper
Bacon grease
2 Slices of wheat bread, soaked with water, then squeezed of as much water as possible.
Fresh grated parmesan
Fresh breadcrumbs, unseasoned (I ball up two or 3 slices of wheat bread and drop them in my Vitamix while running on high speed)

None of these ingredients are extraordinary, but the emphasis on fresh makes them world class.

Heat the bacon grease in a large piping hot cast iron skillet until the grease shimmers, reduce the heat to medium/hot. You want a slight amount of smoke to be coming off the grease.
Mix all ingredients by hand except bacon grease, and form the meatballs by hands coated in olive oil. I aim to smell a strong garlic and parmesan scent to the mix. I prefer to shape the meatballs to the size of a clenched female fist so that only one or two meatballs are served to a plate and become the visual piece of the dish.

Place as many meatballs as you can safely manage to keep rolling around without overcrowding the pan into the bacon grease at the size that I make them, I don't go any more than 2.. Let them sit for a moment on each side until you've seared a dark dark brown crust to many facets of the balls as possible. The objective is to sear, not cook.

Add to sauce mixture at a point where there are 4-5 hours remaining in the sauce cook time, and within 15 minutes of adding sugar to the sauce.

Force all indulging in the meatballs to sign powers of attorney in your favor, because they'll die once the meatballs melt in their mouths.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:08:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:12:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
NY strip and ribeye for meatballs? Too rich for my taste...
View Quote

I stopped using store bought ground beef a long time ago. Not because any of the "pink slime" crap in the media but just so I could know what was going into my food. I used to use chuck and blade steak for meatballs but found that using the blend I make now makes a much more flavorful ball. The only downside is there is a lot of extra fat to skim off the top of the sauce.

And the quantity I use is to feed a group of six or seven people. Adjust quantities accordingly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top