Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/9/2002 2:19:45 PM EDT
I am thinking about Bowflaging a paintball gun that I have (I'm too chicken to paint a real gun).  I would like to what some final results look like before I actually start the project.

If you have any advice after doing it yourself please share.  Thanks.

Link Posted: 6/10/2002 4:21:09 AM EDT
[#1]
btt
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 4:33:30 AM EDT
[#2]
It's been a while since I gave it a fresh coat, so it's looking a bit bad now.

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/HKocher%2Faimpoint2%2Ejpg[/img]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/HKocher%2Fgunpics004new%2Ejpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 1:32:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyway, heres the process I used:

1: Search for bowflage throughout all of local hunting/gun/bow/surplus stores and internet.  Finally stumble across some several months later at a surplus store.  Seriously, if you find a source, stock up, you'll never know when you'll find it again.  I bought out my location and barely had enough to do the M4.  Buy twice as much as you think you will need.  It requires a fairly heavy coat in order to look good.  Plus extra for touch up work from rubbing off of high traffic areas as well as from cleaning.

2. Tape up anything you don't want to be painted, ejection port, internals (remove bolt) optics, irons, top rail, inside magwell, etc...

3. Start with lightest color, apply over entire rifle.  Using something to cover up areas of the rifle (I used cardboard cut into irregular shapes) apply darker colors over to get a pattern.  Repeat with other colors as necessary.  Wait to dry, and touch up work as needed.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 1:41:29 PM EDT
[#4]
What kind of Paintball Gun?
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 5:12:39 PM EDT
[#5]
In the words of Clint Eastwood in the movie The Rookie..."Anybody who'd deface a work of art by painting it that color outta have his ass removed."

Hey I'm just teasing yah. Seriously though I can see doing that too a turkey gun, but an AR...geeeezzz!
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 6:57:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Interesting!  Couple of quick questions:
1.  Do they not make Bowflage any more?  (Wonder why it is so hard to find?)

2.  I know Bowflage makes (made?) a remover for it.  Has anyone used it to remove the paint from a rifle?  If so, how hard was it to get completely off the gun, and did it damage any plastic, such as AR stock, etc?

Inquiring minds want to know! [:)]
John
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 8:50:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In the words of Clint Eastwood in the movie The Rookie..."Anybody who'd deface a work of art by painting it that color outta have his ass removed."

Hey I'm just teasing yah. Seriously though I can see doing that too a turkey gun, but an AR...geeeezzz!
View Quote

Call it too much time on my hands.  Besides, it is easily removable so it's not a big deal.  Normally I'd agree with you, but I had a good time with the experiment, so I'm happy with it.

JohnF
1. I think they still make it, it's just hard to find anyone that stocks it.

2. I couldn't find the remover in the store, but I tested it on plastic (KAC rail) and on the receiver, and I came off fairly easily with cleaning solvent and a little elbow grease.  When I finally take it all off, I guess I will know for sure the long term effects, but I don't expect any problems, as people have been using this for years, and I have yet to hear any horror stories.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 3:37:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What kind of Paintball Gun?
View Quote

Tippmann 98 Custom.  I am going to pick up the flatline barrel and *hopefully* bowflage it soon after.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 5:10:53 AM EDT
[#9]
A 98 wouldnt look bad in bowflage, I've seen one done in desert camo and it looked good. Be careful about that flatline system, test fire it before you buy it...a couple of guys that I play on the weekends with both some, and they break balls like mad, no matter what adjustments we make.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 5:37:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I know a couple guys that have the flatline too, and everyone I talked to loves it.  Have they talked to Tippmann about it?  Thanks for the advice though.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 7:39:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Just dont use the flatline barrel in either extreme cold or heat.  The barrel has a tendency to break paint.  Get a autococker, you'll thank me later :)  

Quick question on the bowflage.  I just did my 700VS and was wondering about oiling.  Do I just apply oil over the paint?
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 7:50:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quick question on the bowflage.  I just did my 700VS and was wondering about oiling.  Do I just apply oil over the paint?
View Quote

I've had the same coat on my gun for about six months.  My experience is that the oil can remove the paint if allowed to set for a long period.  You might be able to see in my pic around the pins how the oil has seaped out and removed the paint.

So unless you lube up your entire rifle, you shouldn't have a big problem.[;)]  That's why I recommend buying extra paint for touch up work, although I haven't applied a new coat, and it still looks decent.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 7:56:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I've had the same coat on my gun for about six months.  My experience is that the oil can remove the paint if allowed to set for a long period.  You might be able to see in my pic around the pins how the oil has seaped out and removed the paint.

So unless you lube up your entire rifle, you shouldn't have a big problem.[;)]  That's why I recommend buying extra paint for touch up work, although I haven't applied a new coat, and it still looks decent.
View Quote

Hrmmm thats no good.  I like to leave a thin coat of oil on the rifle while it sits in the safe to prevent rust.  I may look into a permanent finish that can be oiled.  The bowflage does look great on the rifle and scope.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top