Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 9/27/2014 8:21:30 PM EST
I need to tow something heavier than what my truck "Should" tow.

Tow rating is 2450lbs

Loaded trailer is 3100lbs

Difference of about 650lbs.

What I need to do is mitigate the weight of an average arfcommer and safely tow the load.

TO BE CLEAR. BUYING/BORROWING A BIGGER TRUCK IS NOT AN OPTION.

What are the main factors in how a tow rating is decided?

Brakes? Engine? Trans? Weight?

Can I reasonably tow the extra 650 if I add trailer brakes and a controller?

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:37:32 PM EST
It depends. What is the pulling vehicle, what type of trailer, what type of trailer brakes?

Seems a stretch to call something a truck, that can only pull 2450.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:53:13 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jeremy223:
It depends. What is the pulling vehicle, what type of trailer, what type of trailer brakes?

View Quote

Not a bad point. Just what make/model are we talking about?

Hell, my forester can pull close to that. The shitty thing about Subaru's is their mounting. Reduced tongue weight to around 200lbs. Even a standard sedan can do 300lbs.

But things being what they are I'd look at how far your are traveling, how slow/easy you can take it, and how you can balance the load.

Looking to screw with max capacity is something you may consider paying a few bucks and renting a truck for the purpose if one is not just able to be handed to you.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:06:04 PM EST
Truck is a 98 ford ranger 3.0

Trailer is a Hunter 22 sailboat.

Renting really isnt an option for the couple weeks I'll be where I am. Very cost prohibitive.

Problem is I can't get a firm answer on tow rating on this truck. It can be as low as 1800lbs to as much as 5900.

Only issue I see is stopping power, hence considering putting on trailer brakes which would be fairly cheap (already have them) and easy.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:08:28 PM EST
Originally Posted By GeorgiaBII:

Renting really isnt an option for the couple weeks I'll be where I am. Very cost prohibitive.

Problem is I can't get a firm answer on tow rating on this truck. It can be as low as 1800lbs to as much as 5900.

Only issue I see is stopping power, hence considering putting on trailer brakes which would be fairly cheap (already have them) and easy.
View Quote

I'd be just as worried about burning out your trans as I would stopping.

Hopefully someone can help you with a more solid number on what your capacity is. A lot of times it's stamped into the car either in the door jam or on the bumper near the plate or tow hitch.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck!

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:29:44 PM EST
Since it's a sail boat and you list location as GA, I'll assume this will be for fairly short distances, minimal grades, at or near sea level. With surge brakes, you should fine.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:39:08 PM EST

View Quote

Stopping power may be a minor issue. How long is your truck vs the boat trailer?

A little caution and planning ahead goes a long ways in situations like this. Coming from someone who has towed a bass boat with a jeep wrangler
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 12:05:07 AM EST
Many vehicles are severely underrated by their manufacturer in terms of towing. I suspect this is because of liability and idiots

I usually look at what the European rating is on the vehicle. Ive towed 3000 pounds with my Camry. Hundreds of miles. Throw on a tranny cooler, keep it under 60, and out of Overdrive.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 1:50:34 AM EST

View Quote

Is there a hitch on the truck now or are you using a ball on a step bumper?
If just a ball on the step bumper I would not trust it to tow safely over the rating.
If you have a frame mounted hitch the truck itself can handle 3500lbs using a class 2 hitch, 4000lbs with a class3 and up to 6000lbs with class 3 weight distributing type hitch
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 7:07:29 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/28/2014 7:10:22 AM EST by GeorgiaBII]
Since it's a sail boat and you list location as GA, I'll assume this will be for fairly short distances, minimal grades, at or near sea level. With surge brakes, you should fine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I'm wanting to take the boat to the gulf and then at a later date to the florida keys. So distance will be fairly long.

Originally Posted By Krochus:

Stopping power may be a minor issue. How long is your truck vs the boat trailer?

A little caution and planning ahead goes a long ways in situations like this. Coming from someone who has towed a bass boat with a jeep wrangler

I've got a CDL and use it so I'm not worried about that particular issue. They are about the same length.

Originally Posted By gatkeper:

If just a ball on the step bumper I would not trust it to tow safely over the rating.
If you have a frame mounted hitch the truck itself can handle 3500lbs using a class 2 hitch, 4000lbs with a class3 and up to 6000lbs with class 3 weight distributing type hitch

Yes it has a quality class 3 hitch installed.

Also has an aftermarket large trans cooler installed, and an upgraded engine cooling system.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 7:12:06 AM EST

I'm wanting to take the boat to the gulf and then at a later date to the florida keys. So distance will be fairly long.

I've got a CDL and use it so I'm not worried about that particular issue. They are about the same length.

Also has an aftermarket large trans cooler installed, and an upgraded engine cooling system.
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By gatkeper:

If that is the case then I would say put some trailer brakes on it and go for it.

Just don't do any hard acceleration and you will be fine.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 7:25:55 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/28/2014 7:27:25 AM EST by Krochus]
On a side note this thread is why I rail against how fundamentally retarded v6 compact trucks are

This ranger is only rated for 18mpg combined by the EPA that's essentially no fuel savings over a v6 or base v8 full sized that would be completely at home towing a load such as this.

V6 compact trucks are just small for the sake of small with 0 benefits to offset the downsides over a full sized truck
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 7:59:07 AM EST
On a side note this thread is why I rail against how fundamentally retarded v6 compact trucks are

This ranger is only rated for 18mpg combined by the EPA that's essentially no fuel savings over a v6 or base v8 full sized that would be completely at home towing a load such as this.

V6 compact trucks are just small for the sake of small with 0 benefits to offset the downsides over a full sized truck
View Quote

Yes and no.

You are right it doesn't have the tow capacity of a larger truck and has similar fuel economy, or lack of.

But it's much easier to park in small area's, It fits where larger trucks can't when moving in tight area's, and for the price of a stripped fleet big truck I got a fully loaded all option ranger.

Truth is I very rarely want or need to tow anything more than a lawn trailer. This trip will be a rarity to say the least.

Small truck fits my needs to a T. 97% of the time.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:17:21 AM EST
You should give newer regular cab short bed full sized trucks a try.

With the popularity of long 4door models they had to redesign things to allow a modicum if maneuverability with these behemoths. As such a regular cab full sized is now amazingly maneuverable.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:28:28 AM EST
You should give newer regular cab short bed full sized trucks a try.

With the popularity of long 4door models they had to redesign things to allow a modicum if maneuverability with these behemoths. As such a regular cab full sized is now amazingly maneuverable.
View Quote

Maybe one day. But for now I have a paid for truck with extended cab. As I said in the OP buying another truck is not an option. I'm well on my way to being entirely debt free and want to keep it that way.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 1:10:50 PM EST
Throw on trailer brakes and you'll be fine. Keep OD off it is an auto, and smooth starts and stops.

Might want into a weight distributing hitch too, if the tongue weight get heavy it's gonna get scary for you real fast.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 1:31:03 PM EST
What's the GCWR on the door placard?
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 2:18:02 PM EST
Along with the other concerns posted, I would be concerned with how much that load is going to sag the rear end.
Get the front end too high, and you are going to have diminished steering control.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 2:21:14 PM EST
Originally Posted By TheRealSundance:
View Quote

Front GAWR: 2500
Rear GAWR: 2600

GVWR: 4760

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 2:26:40 PM EST
Originally Posted By MiniZ:
Along with the other concerns posted, I would be concerned with how much that load is going to sag the rear end.
Get the front end too high, and you are going to have diminished steering control.
View Quote

Actually not too worried about that. I'm pretty good at balancing my trailer tongue weight so it doesn't negatively impact tow vehicle performance parameters.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 2:28:40 PM EST
I'm gonna err on the side of NO

Simply because the psyical bulk of a big boat makes it tow a lot heavier than its weight would indicate on paper.

My 20" pontoon with a advertised package weight of 3500 lbs completely overwhelmed a 4door 4.7 v8 first gen tundras ability to handle it at highway speeds. It's not just weight but also how much wind they catch (head on and cross) they also tend to have much higher CG than something on a little low utility or car hauler trailer.

Your little ranger will be very overwhelmed by what the little thing can keep physically pointed in the right direction. If you must I would never exceed 40 mph during this trip
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:18:50 PM EST

Simply because the psyical bulk of a big boat makes it tow a lot heavier than its weight would indicate on paper.

My 20" pontoon with a advertised package weight of 3500 lbs completely overwhelmed a 4door 4.7 v8 first gen tundras ability to handle it at highway speeds. It's not just weight but also how much wind they catch (head on and cross) they also tend to have much higher CG than something on a little low utility or car hauler trailer.

Your little ranger will be very overwhelmed by what the little thing can keep physically pointed in the right direction. If you must I would never exceed 40 mph during this trip
View Quote

I've found that to be a factor of improper loading. Too much tongue weight will result in a light front end of the tow vehicle and less steering authority.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:39:49 PM EST
What size are the gears OP?
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 7:02:08 PM EST
What's the weight of all passengers and other load you are taking?

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 7:18:19 PM EST
What's the weight of all passengers and other load you are taking?

View Quote

That is the loaded trailer weight.

Weight of passenger is 220 plus another 30 in luggage.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 7:22:30 PM EST
Originally Posted By Waldo0506:
What size are the gears OP?
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:12:12 PM EST
If you have a frame mounted hitch and the trailer weight is balanced well, I would tow it without hesitation. You won't be getting anywhere fast.

Had a 97 3.0 manual for quite a while.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:21:39 PM EST
With further research factoring the 3.0 motor /
Auto trans 4x2 3.73 gears it looks like 7500lb gcwr with 3600-3800 lb trailer.
All this should've in the owners manual if you have one. Try the ranger forum for a downloadable copy
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:22:40 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/28/2014 8:26:56 PM EST by Krochus]

I've found that to be a factor of improper loading. Too much tongue weight will result in a light front end of the tow vehicle and less steering authority.
View All Quotes

No offense but you're the guy asking if a ford ranger can tow a 22" sailboat.

You'll find out soon enough.

ETA out if curiosity what are you basing your 3100 lb boat/trailer figure on?
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:27:47 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/28/2014 10:31:02 PM EST by TheRealSundance]

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b104/georgiab2/20140928_151615_zpsh6svrxsq.jpg
View All Quotes

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b104/georgiab2/20140928_151615_zpsh6svrxsq.jpg
If your truck and trailer weighs more than 4760 ford says no. Can you do it? Probably. Will you damage anything? You could, but might not.

Do not exceed the GVWR or the GAWR specified on the Safety

Do not exceed the GVWR or the GAWR specified on the Safety http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/98ranog1e.pdf

Pg 82
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:36:54 AM EST
F'it....hook it up and test it out...
See how your truck handles.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:01:58 PM EST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apBkr9gXvLI

Dude is doin' "just over 50 - we're cruisin!"
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:03:05 PM EST

View Quote
LOL, no shit. My blazer can do 5500#.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:13:57 PM EST
i might ease around town with it but no long distances.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:17:11 PM EST
Originally Posted By brdvictim:

View All Quotes

My '98 K1500 Z71 is only rated to 5500#. Yep - no shit. Per the owner's manual.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:02:21 PM EST
View All Quotes

I think mine can do 6K
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:20:34 PM EST
I'm running a 98 ford ranger splash with a 3.0 and a manual trans, I pull a 6x12 trailer with a dry weight of 900lbs. and have had a load of 1450 additional on it. Handled it fine. Truck and gearing is rated for 3250 and the trans is the limiting factor due to the clutch I believe. If there are any hills, your truck isn't going to be happy.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:22:07 PM EST
Originally Posted By 94TBlazer:

View All Quotes

Make sure you aren't confusing gvwr and gcwr. Gvwr is the max weight that can be supported by the two axles of the truck. Gcwr is the combined total weight of truck and loaded trailer.

5500 may be the gvwr of a 1500, it is not the gcwr.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:23:53 AM EST
Originally Posted By Detached:
I'm running a 98 ford ranger splash with a 3.0 and a manual trans, I pull a 6x12 trailer with a dry weight of 900lbs. and have had a load of 1450 additional on it. Handled it fine. Truck and gearing is rated for 3250 and the trans is the limiting factor due to the clutch I believe. If there are any hills, your truck isn't going to be happy.
View Quote

I'm seriously considering swapping in an explorer power train... 5.0 V8 and a 8.8 axle.

Then I'll be able to tow with the big boys!
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:09:28 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/4/2014 8:11:56 AM EST by Krochus]

I'm seriously considering swapping in an explorer power train... 5.0 V8 and a 8.8 axle.

View All Quotes

No you won't.

Your brakes won't get any bigger, your wheelbase won't get any longer and your additional weight must come off the GROSS COMBINED WEIGHT.

Just trade the stupid thing in for a similar year xl f-150 it's not like the "extended cab" part of a ranger actually carries anything. Preferably with the big six. I'm sure you could straight trade someone on Facebook or Craigslist who like you think they will be saving or gaining anything with a "little" pickup.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:47:59 AM EST

View All Quotes

Even if you could get a 01 or newer ranger with a 4.0 that would make a HUGE difference. They are rated up to 5500 with auto trans and rear end. Trade off is that the engine has timing chain issues. But I don't think it's worth the time and effort to do a swap on your current ranger.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:38:54 PM EST
Originally Posted By xd341:
Make sure you aren't confusing gvwr and gcwr. Gvwr is the max weight that can be supported by the two axles of the truck. Gcwr is the combined total weight of truck and loaded trailer.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By xd341:

5500 may be the gvwr of a 1500, it is not the gcwr.

He's not. You can look right in the owners manual and read your tow rating based on engine and axle ratio.
Top Top