Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2011 1:25:31 PM EDT
I want a .308.

I'm expecting a young'un, so right now I have a lot of time to plan this rifle - or, to put differently, I have a lot of crap I have to buy before I build this rifle....do you know how many diapers you can buy for what a Leupold MK4 M5 6.5-20x costs?

Anyway, moving on......

The cheapest way to get a .308 to use out to 1000 is to get a used heavy-barreled bolt gun. But if you want to get serious, you can have the action trued, get a new stock, spend $600 on a high-end barrel, ad nauseum.

At some point, there's no reason not to just go ahead and splurge and make this precision .308 a semi-auto.

To that end, I'm looking at upper/lower prices. It has occurred to me that uppers are probably all much the same.

Where my knowledge falls off, though, is with .308 lowers and the myriad of different magazines that .308 AR's have been made to take over the years.

Here's what I want:

-Reliability
-Availability of mags (I don't mind paying $20 or more for them, as long as I can get them)
-Last-round bolt-hold-open.

What is my best option?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:32:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I want a .308.

I'm expecting a young'un, so right now I have a lot of time to plan this rifle - or, to put differently, I have a lot of crap I have to buy before I build this rifle....do you know how many diapers you can buy for what a Leupold MK4 M5 6.5-20x costs?

Anyway, moving on......

The cheapest way to get a .308 to use out to 1000 is to get a used heavy-barreled bolt gun. But if you want to get serious, you can have the action trued, get a new stock, spend $600 on a high-end barrel, ad nauseum.

At some point, there's no reason not to just go ahead and splurge and make this precision .308 a semi-auto.

To that end, I'm looking at upper/lower prices. It has occurred to me that uppers are probably all much the same.

Where my knowledge falls off, though, is with .308 lowers and the myriad of different magazines that .308 AR's have been made to take over the years.

Here's what I want:

-Reliability
-Availability of mags (I don't mind paying $20 or more for them, as long as I can get them)
-Last-round bolt-hold-open.

What is my best option?

308 pmags can be had for around 25 bucks, sr25 pattern as far as lowers i really don't know.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:53:03 PM EDT
[#2]
There a lot of options out there now. In terms of lowest cost to get into .308, DPMS is the cheapest. ArmaLite on the other hand, comes well made for not much more. Has more expensive magazines though. I don`t hear many reliability issues with the ArmaLite. First, you really have to decide what you want  it to do, and how much you can budget to get here. ETA I have both ArmaLite and DPMS .308s, and the Armalite is the better value IMO.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:11:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Might have some better luck asking here:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=121
http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=62

There's a lot of knowledge floating around there.

Yeah, I wanted an AR10 till I bought an M14 stripped receiver
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:12:24 PM EDT
[#4]
You can spend all that money on a semi-auto, or just buy a bolt gun for half the price that will out shoot it anyway.

Unless you just want to look cool while shooting pretty accurately, then by all means get the semi.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:15:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Build your own, have fun doing it, and set it up the way you want.

The Mega MA-TEN is a good starting point...
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:17:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Go LaRue.

/thread.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:19:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I was originally going to go with DPMS but they just have that cheap look IMO.

I ended up going with the Armalite, they are not perfect however.

Colt stepping into the .308 game would liven things up a bit.

If you want DPMS because of price check into Armalite's Eagle Arms line, they can be had for about $1100.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:21:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Tag because this is of extreme interest to me as well.

On a somewhat related note... Are the lowers(CMMG, IIRC) that accept G3 mags any good? You can't beat $2 mags.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:25:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:26:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I was originally going to go with DPMS but they just have that cheap look IMO.

I ended up going with the Armalite, they are not perfect however.

Colt stepping into the .308 game would liven things up a bit.

If you are dead set on DPMS for price check out budsguns, they sell the Eagle AR10's for 11 bones (which are Armalite's with non chrome lined barrels)

Same here.  I looked for about six months, and finally found a used local Armalite AR10 for $799 out the door.  
The Armalite just seems like a solid platform.  Armalite usually puts their mags on sale for around $25/each around Christmas.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 3:36:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That was the whole point of the thread, and the reason I put the word LOWERS in the title.

I haven't bought a complete AR in ages. I love assembling them.

But I need to know which LOWER to start with.

Which ones take the PMAGS?

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 3:45:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Just get a LaRue OBR and don't look back!
18" FTW...
That is all back to your regularly scheduled Bull...
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 3:46:58 PM EDT
[#13]
DPMS takes Pmags

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 3:48:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was the whole point of the thread, and the reason I put the word LOWERS in the title.

DPMS, KAC, and Mega's MA-TEN

Quoted:
18" FTW...

Sure I'll earn the ire of the LaRue peoples, but paying $3,000 for $2,000 worth of gun is so much fun!
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 3:52:02 PM EDT
[#15]
The OBR is entirely machined.

That is very expensive.

I don't know how he does it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:16:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
18" FTW...

To each his own, but if I'm building something for really long range shooting, it'll have at least a 24" tube, maybe more.

I like LaRue stuff, really, I do, but I think I could build my own precision 308 cheaper than the OBR.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:22:30 PM EDT
[#17]
I see the Armalite stripped lower for AR10 for under $250 on Impact .

I also see Armalite is putting forward assist on the AR10's now , I would buy another one as long as it had assist on it, the AR10T I sold would hang up every now and then but would drive tacks !
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:33:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

DPMS, KAC, and Mega's MA-TEN

Quoted:
18" FTW...

Sure I'll earn the ire of the LaRue peoples, but paying $3,000 for $2,000 worth of gun is so much fun!

CMMG and Those folks in Montana SI Defense also make 308 AR lowers that use Knights/DPMS mags which includes the P-MAGs

I have a CMMG lower And pricing parts I believe I would be money ahead to just buy an OBR, Seriously...
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:49:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Here's the route Im going ...........

.......and I've got piles of the mags already

My upper will be shipped next week , I'll finish building it when I get home again .
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:50:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Come back down and you can shoot my mega machine 308. I'll do you a trust for free too so you can get a can as well.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:52:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Spikes is coming out with a 308 lOwer as well....
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:05:48 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y214/ultramagbrion/MY%20WEAPONS/G-3big-blocklower001.jpg

My upper will be shipped next week , I'll finish building it when I get home again .

Is that an HK mag, and if so, what upper will work with that lower/mag combo? Very interested as I already have a pile of those mags also.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:07:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
And pricing parts I believe I would be money ahead to just buy an OBR, Seriously...

Where on earth are you shopping for parts?

Even if you had some aversion to building a rifle yourself, you can get one built by G.A. Precision for $500 less.  Don't get me wrong, I love LaRue's rails and optics mounts.  If you got $3k to blow on a gun, its a good company to support, but you can do it (yourself or otherwise) cheaper.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:11:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y214/ultramagbrion/MY%20WEAPONS/G-3big-blocklower001.jpg

Is that an HK mag, and if so, what upper will work with that lower/mag combo? Very interested as I already have a pile of those mags also.

It's CMMG's .308 lower, takes G3 mags and DPMS uppers:

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/item/CMMG-MK-8-.308-Stripped-Lower-1306
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:13:15 PM EDT
[#25]
.308 built on Mega Lower and Upper receivers, FTW
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:14:14 PM EDT
[#26]
I own Armalite and I highly recommend them.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:16:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Here is another pic of the Mega MA-Ten...

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:17:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Did you forget the word "an" or do you really own Armalite ?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:27:06 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you forget the word "an" or do you really own Armalite ?

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:33:16 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It requires a modification to the upper receiver...

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:35:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

It requires a modification to the upper receiver...

Hasn't exactly taken the .308 AR market by storm
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:38:18 PM EDT
[#32]
My first tag......
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:44:33 PM EDT
[#33]
308 mega billet:

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:44:55 PM EDT
[#34]
arowneragain,

ARMALITE has been doing SALES on July4th, Thanksgiving and Christmas.

They usually have the UT10F for @ $799, last Christmas price and I grabbed it

and the U10A4BFR for @ $650, stole that one last 4th

762SASS has stripped lowers for $205
LPK w/o trigger for $59.95 on SALE now, get a Geissele SSA for $170
Stock of your choice.

Complete uppers and build lowers:
A) Cheapest @ $1040 plus S&H
B) The UT10F with UBR and G Trigger @ $1484 plus S&H,oops add $137 for
a Slash XH buffer and modified spring

GenII mags are $30ea when buying a 5 Pack.

Once you shoot the barrel out, have GAP put a Bartlein on it.

If there was a problem with ARMALITE quality, NOVESKE barrels wouldn't
be attached to them.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:06:22 PM EDT
[#35]
I have 2 carbines 2 20 inch armalite ar10s all work fine and are accurate.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:18:12 PM EDT
[#36]
I went the DPMS LR-308/CMMG Mk 8 route. Cheap mags, but there are better uppers than what DPMS makes and there is no bolt hold open. I used an 18" heavy barrel upper, but I dong like the handguard. Think I'll change it to a rail when I have the money.
It's an OK setup, but I would probably do something else if I were to build another one.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:57:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Personally, I would go with one that takes the SR25 pattern mags, simply because that its the way that the .mil went for their semi-autos. Which makes it the magazine that's more likely to be produced in larger (cheaper) quantities.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:49:30 AM EDT
[#38]

That's sharp.

I might have to take you up on that trust....I need to talk to my dad about it; he lives in TN and we're planning on moving back to TN one day, so it makes sense to set it up through him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top