Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2002 9:21:36 AM EDT
Hello, I just purhcased a new liberty safe, 60X30X20, and can't figure out what would be the best way to fit my guns into it, I only have about 6 rifles and shotguns total, a handful of handguns, and would like to use the rest for ammo/valuables.  Does anyone have a picture of the inside of thier safe that I can see? If I put my carbines in they don't reach the rack area, and if I put a shelf in below them so they do reach then my long guns take all the above area space.  Just trying to get an idea here what would be best.

I've been wanting a safe forever, and finally broke down and got one- I feel much better now that these will be locked up in a safe which is anchored down to make it hell for someone to break/take off with.  Money well spent.

Thanks in advance for your pictures or advice on how to get the most room out of it....

Link Posted: 6/22/2002 10:30:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm trying to figure out how to lay out my safe too, but I plan on using it for credit cards and valuable papers as well as guns. When you post your pics of your safe and valuables here on the internet, could you please be sure to show your credit cards as well?

I understand your intent, but most people are going to find the idea of posting picks of both their valuables and the security arrangements on line to be less than a good idea.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 11:06:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 11:22:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Me too, Me too!

I've achived the point of, figure out a new layout for the safe or purchase a bigger safe.

I'll have to take a look at Pauls idea of mounting by the Delta ring, in case I ever own a AR15. [;)]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 11:25:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Suggestion, don't store your ammo in your safe.  Put it in 50 cal ammo cans with dessicant.  That should give you more room.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 12:16:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 2:10:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Well at least you bought a nice size from the git go! Sorry to say, mines always a mess. I really should have bought a bigger one originally. Sad fact of the matter is 99 percent of my mags are left unlocked because there is no room in the safe. Yeah, I think I have more money out in mags than guns!!!
[img]http://pages.prodigy.net/labradorx3/public_html/safe.jpg[/img]
[img]http://pages.prodigy.net/labradorx3/public_html/safemess.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 2:24:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm trying to figure out how to lay out my safe too, but I plan on using it for credit cards and valuable papers as well as guns. When you post your pics of your safe and valuables here on the internet, could you please be sure to show your credit cards as well?

I understand your intent, but most people are going to find the idea of posting picks of both their valuables and the security arrangements on line to be less than a good idea.
View Quote

I did think of that, but let's be honest- Most of us remain 100% anonymous here on the internet.  I would also assume that most of us own a few AR's, pistols, rifles, and shotguns, as most "normal" people do.  Showing a general layout doesn't compromise anything, and if you think it does then don't post it.  Besides, I've seen a lot of people post their entire collection in a picture- Why not show 'em in a safe?  Hell, have you seen the thread where people have pics of their wife holding guns?  

I own several AR's, and they are bulky compared to most rifles, and lining them up while maintaining room for other stuff can be a challenge.  For example, one of my AR's has a Aimpoint attached, and from that to the end of the pistol grip is a long ways when dealing with limited space.  Throw a couple of those, a few shotguns, etc., and it adds up quick.  I'm glad I got the size I did, though, any less and I don't think I would have been happy.

Glad everyone told me to get one bigger than I thought I needed, a 20X20 would have been too small!

thanks for your help....

Link Posted: 6/22/2002 5:37:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Suggestion, don't store your ammo in your safe.  Put it in 50 cal ammo cans with dessicant.  That should give you more room.  
View Quote

I wonder if someone were to store their ammo in cans, what you could store all those ammo cans on?[:D]
View Quote

Why ammocan shelves of course.  An older pic, but this is 1 of my 4 shelves.  The other 3 have one less shelf.

[img]www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid23/pf01e0b8491372e19c65ec202438dc43f/fd9e7f5c.jpg[/img]

And here is my layout of my safe.  I plan on changing this soon.  The left side will be open for big guns and the right side as it currently is layed out for small 'normal' guns.  The middle shelf will have a larger hole for the long 'big' guns.  I'll take photos when Liberty sends me the new shelves.

[img]www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid15/pe23ac7045f7fa058fc9784c1713589d5/fdea7fc0.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 5:47:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 5:47:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Some old pictures. I've managed to cram lots more into em since these were taken...

[img]http://album.gunsnet.net/data/slag/full_123_p561.jpg[/img]

[img]http://album.gunsnet.net/data/slag/122_p567.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 5:54:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
7, a guy could live comfortably in there with his family. [:D]
View Quote

No doubt.  I'm almost 6'2 and I can fit in there with lots of space left over. [:)]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 6:53:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 8:27:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 8:33:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 8:46:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 8:51:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:07:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Safe pictures I will not do.  However, I will describe how I layed it out.  Mine is an old, HEAVY hospital drug safe (bet the dogs would LOVE that!!)  I cut a sheet of 3/4" plywood to just fit inside.  Used hole saw to place holes where needed then cut away half of holes leaving a rectangular space between two rows of holes.  Cut a few lengths of 1/2" EMT conduit to support it,  Used lags from bottom that just came almost to top edge of plywood and slid tube over these.  Works great.  Upper shelves are for other valuables and pistols.

AMMO is HEAVY!!  I bought a few 4' sections of grocery store gondola shelving.  If old, this stuff can be had CHEAP.  Will safely hold more ammo than you can get on it.  I cut off back side of the legs and placed against wall.  Shelves are movable and I placed them just far enough above each other for an ammo can.  Results in eight shelves that can accomodate 8 - .50 cal cans or 12 - .30 cal cans.  That would be up to 96 cans!!  For .308, say 24000 rounds per 4 foot section!!!!  More like 90000 of .223 which exceeds my wildest imagination.  I have 8 feet pretty full of various calibers and all seems stable.  Investment is $20 in shelves.  Cans are marked by caliber on color coded labels.  Additional ino on white labels.  Ain't perfect but works good for me.  

Pop shelves work too but are not as good.  However, they are often free from the dumpster!
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 11:49:48 PM EDT
[#18]
The rifle half of my safe didn't hold that many rifles. I took that rack out and put all of the long guns in gunsocks and stack them in. One of each are "unsocked". FAL, AR15, M1A, 11-87.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 8:27:02 PM EDT
[#19]
[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/GeneStoner%2FMVC%2D788F%2EJPG[/img]

I BET you'd like to see my layout. :)
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 10:37:44 PM EDT
[#20]
[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/Imbroglio%2Fsafe%2Ejpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 10:39:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 1:36:09 PM EDT
[#22]
How nice it is to know that I'm not the only one with a full safe!

[:D]
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 1:44:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Imbroglio -

I LOVE YOU, MAN!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL!!!! Funniest thing I seen all day!!!!!!!

[:D]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top