Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/22/2007 3:33:25 AM EDT
We're upset with Zumbo because he divided the shooting community, yet we're doing the same thing every time we denigrate hunters.

We don't want to alienate other rifle owners, we want to educate them if necessary, and stand together with them. Let's work to make converts, not enemies.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:36:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Agree 100%
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:37:32 AM EDT
[#2]
+ 1
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:37:53 AM EDT
[#3]
quite?
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:38:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I think we should "quit" doing it first... but I do agree.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:40:32 AM EDT
[#5]
You are right
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:44:33 AM EDT
[#6]
+1
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:44:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
quite?

Oops, fixed it.

Someone once said that to err is human. I just erred, and made without question, the biggest blunder in my thousands of posts on Arfcom...

...Let me explain the circumstances surrounding that typo. I was tired and exhausted from a night of self-love. At that point I wrote the post, and never thought it through.

Now then, you might not believe what I have to say, but I hope you do. How is it that Rodent, who has been writing for more than 50 years, is totally ignorant about these types of spelling errors? I don't know. I once wrote "your" instead of "you're", and thought it was cool, but I had absolutely no idea how vast the numbers of folks are who do that as a matter of course.

I never intended to be divisive...

...Believe it or not, I'm your best friend if you're a Grammar Nazi, though it might not seem that way. I simply screwed up...
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:45:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I agree...

-Fudd and EBRs owner
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:46:32 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
quite?

Oops, fixed it.

Someone once said that to err is human. I just erred, and made without question, the biggest blunder in my thousands of posts on Arfcom...

...Let me explain the circumstances surrounding that typo. I was tired and exhausted from a night of self-love. At that point I wrote the post, and never thought it through.

Now then, you might not believe what I have to say, but I hope you do. How is it that Rodent, who has been writing for more than 50 years, is totally ignorant about these types of spelling errors? I don't know. I once wrote "your" instead of "you're", and thought it was cool, but I had absolutely no idea how vast the numbers of folks are who do that as a matter of course.

...Believe it or not, I'm your best friend if you're a Grammar Nazi, though it might not seem that way. I simply screwed up...

We need allies in this fight.  Zumbo was made an example of, but we need to build bridges.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:50:51 AM EDT
[#10]
+1 I was thinking the same thing.

Let's call them "EBR-challenged"  
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:52:32 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
quite?

Oops, fixed it.

and +1!
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:53:36 AM EDT
[#12]
I agree.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:54:06 AM EDT
[#13]
That's a good first step to closing the perceived gap; the notion has pretty well been rejected in other threads.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:56:14 AM EDT
[#14]

I have no problem with hunters.

I have a problem with Fudds.

Just like I have no problem with EBR owners, but I have a problem with camoulflaged militia retards.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:01:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:05:40 AM EDT
[#16]
+1 for sure.

I like my rimfires, classic rifles, handguns and EBR's up to and especially my M60.

United we stand, divided we fall (read fail).
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:07:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:10:14 AM EDT
[#18]
As far as I know, the term "Fudd" is not for hunters... it's reserved for guys who think "assault weapons" should be banned as long as they get to keep their hunting rifle/shotgun.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:13:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Fudds they are and Fudds they will remain.

If the red-flannel hat with ear flaps fits. Wear it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:18:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Very interesting to note that the several fudds I have talked with are democrats and are not NRA members.  

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:20:29 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
As far as I know, the term "Fudd" is not for hunters... it's reserved for guys who think "assault weapons" should be banned as long as they get to keep their hunting rifle/shotgun.

Exactly.  Only the hunters who think a military styled, semi-auto variant is evil and would throw the owners of them under the bus are actually a "Fudd".  Fudd's are in need of education about the real purpose of the Second Amendment.  If you aren't one, don't be upset at the word.    
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:20:41 AM EDT
[#22]
I may be in the minority, but I disagree.

I never understood Fudds to be defined as hunters. Fudds were those people who payed $50 to the local gunsmith to have the gun cleaned at the end of the season because they were unwilling/unable to do it themselves. In short Fudds were ignorant tards who had a toehold in the world of firearms but had no understanding whatsoever of firearms or any desire to change that, hence the disdain for EBRs.

Given a broader definition, Fudds could also mean elitist skeet shooters or more aptly, hunters who would give people shitty looks at the range for the "anti aircraft" they just brought in with them. The term was never understood as a derrogatory remark aimed at hunters, however.

I feel the F-word should be retained and used, only it should be used properly. If you have the opportunity at the range to take 5 min out of your day to show this character how light your AR is and how fun it is to shoot than you did us all a service and should be commended for your work. It's good to start here. But there are those assholes set in their ways and if not willing to try it for themselves, they deserve ridicule and ill treatment. It seemed to do us all a service these past few days.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:22:23 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Yep, thats what I always thought. Those are people we don't want on our side.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:24:42 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

maybe you should have AR change your team member title to (stands alone)
it is sure going to be lonely on that roof top when they come for your guns.

If we all don't get our shit together we surely will be gunless and wondering why nobody came to help?
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:26:21 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Exactly.  A "Fudd" is someone who is in favor of banning any firearm with a higher ammunition capacity that his beloved $2000 O/U quail gun.  They are as much an enemy (if not more so) than Sarah Brady and her ilk.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:26:44 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Bingo. "If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands."
-- Douglas Adams
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:29:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:34:08 AM EDT
[#28]
UH, Fudd doesnt mean hunter. At least to me it never did. It meant you know that cartoon character ELmer. And what was Elmer? HE was a stupid jackass who got a dynamite hidden inside a carrot shoved up his ass every time. A fudd is someone who AUTOMATICALLY has an attitude about all non-"prefered" guns. ANd it goes beyond EBR's. He hates "saturday night specials", and "sniper rifles" in .50 cal. and it it was'nt for the fact that it is soo old, he probably hates the Gatling gun as well! "whut chew need dat dare injun killin old tyme rotatin gun fer??" Nothing to do with hunting, everything to do with arrogance, ignorance and stupidity. He actually doesnt even want a gun he needs a tool to hunt.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:41:32 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I agree...

-Fudd and EBRs owner

And here is the problem.  Defenderhome, you are not a "Fudd".  A hunter/skeet shooter/duckhunter that sees no reason for EBR-type rifles to be used the woods, or to be protected by the 2nd Amendment, but thinks their .30-30 and shotgun is fine, is a "Fudd".  

I also think it's a good idea to stop using this term because of all the misunderstanding.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:49:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Fudds are Fudds.  I am primarily a hunter.  I shoot to practice to hunt.  I hunt with EBRs.  When people say fudd, I know who they are talking about and it ain't me.  

What begs the question is why people are using the term to describe hunters in general.  That is the mistake.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:49:38 AM EDT
[#31]
height=8
Quoted:
UH, Fudd doesnt mean hunter. At least to me it never did. It meant you know that cartoon character ELmer. And what was Elmer? HE was a stupid jackass who got a dynamite hidden inside a carrot shoved up his ass every time. A fudd is someone who AUTOMATICALLY has an attitude about all non-"prefered" guns. ANd it goes beyond EBR's. He hates "saturday night specials", and "sniper rifles" in .50 cal. and it it was'nt for the fact that it is soo old, he probably hates the Gatling gun as well! "whut chew need dat dare injun killin old tyme rotatin gun fer??" hing

EXACTLY!  

The Fudd hunter, on the other hand, is the guy who buys a box of 20 rounds for his rifle (possibly a Weatherby) and uses that same box for a decade or more.

It's also that guy at the range who is a complete stickler for safety to the point of ridiculousness because deep-down, he distrusts even himself with a firearm.  Why these dipshits flock to gun clubs is beyond me since they should just stay the hell away and go play golf or something and stop tormenting me and giving me dirty looks because I shoot an AR or an AK.  

I grew up around skeet assholes and always thought the AR was not an accurate rifle.  Then again, my own dad was "afraid" of handguns having drank the near-complete NY State handgun ban kool-aid.  

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:02:38 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

maybe you should have AR change your team member title to (stands alone)
it is sure going to be lonely on that roof top when they come for your guns.

If we all don't get our shit together we surely will be gunless and wondering why nobody came to help?

Fudd doesn't mean "hunter." I've bought 7 or 8 Remingtons in the past few years. Fudds are those worthless pricks who ban rapidfire at gun clubs, ban shooting at silhouette targets, ban shooting and moving when the range is empty and say things like "You don't need one of those for hunting and they'll never take my shotgun."

I am not convinced pretending these dirty little John Kerry clones lurking around the skeet ranges of our gunclubs are our "brothers in arms" is very wise.

I agree with you there are those that only think about them self's. They will be the ones standing alone asking why didn't anybody help me!

I hunt and I shoot I own AR's hand guns so I live on both sides of the fence! There are assholes on both sides of the fence. I had bought a Remington 700 last year planning on building a sniper rifle. Well I could not stand it I had to shoot it. I had been at the range about 30 minutes when 3 guys show up all with AK's. They start dumping 30 round mags just as fast as they could. Never put any targets up hell never even tried to aim the things. I never said a word really did not care until they started raging me for shooting a bolt action. One of the asshats even said you think you will be able to defend your self from one of these Holding up his AK with that? I said sure I will just shoot you from 500 yards away with one shot while you are spraying bullets all the place with that POS!

What I am saying is yes there are assholes on both sides but the good guys on both side should be the adults here and should stop pissing on each other and start pissing on the anti's
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:08:40 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm going to replace the word "Fudd" in my vocabulary with "Stupid Fucktard".  That way nobody confuses my attack as being on all hunters.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:10:16 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
quite?

Oops, fixed it.

We need allies in this fight.  Zumbo was made an example of, but we need to build bridges.

Well put.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:12:54 AM EDT
[#35]
I think a lot of guys that use the term would rather call them something else. The problem seems to be that "Fudd" is easier to spell than "Hunter".
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:15:10 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I'm a hunter and am getting damn tired of the "fudd" crap around here. It's devisive BS that is HURTING the cause. At 41 years old, I've been shooting for 37 years. I've voted pro gun, supported the NRA, hunted (sometimes with an AR)and shot competitive events. Anyone that thinks I'm a "fudd" can kiss my a**. Many of my hunting friends have similar backgrounds.

Personally, I think Zumbo can come back and have a positive impact on the hunting community (huge numbers) for the 2nd Amendment. He's paid quite price for his thoughts. I have no doubt he's a good guy at heart, he's just wrong on this issue. It wouldn't suprise me if Nugent is right and this ends up being a positive for gun rights. Considering the challenges we're up against currently, I'll take all the help we can get.

I know the guys you're talking about Mike. I also know many here are slamming all hunters. I'm not sure where the image of hunters being ignorant rednecks came from, but for many, nothing could be further than the truth.

I still believe that even the "worst" stereotypical hunter has more potential to see the light and get on board for gun rights than many other groups in our society. We need to quit insulting them and start educating them...

My thoughts on the subject from another thread...
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:24:58 AM EDT
[#37]
True!

Im a hunter &  shooter!
We want to educate hunters.we don't want to alienate them.
My own father who used to hunt for years & was responsable for me hunting needs education!
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:31:35 AM EDT
[#38]

The Fudd hunter, on the other hand, is the guy who buys a box of 20 rounds for his rifle (possibly a Weatherby) and uses that same box for a decade or more.

It's also that guy at the range who is a complete stickler for safety

I wouldn't call this person a Fudd. I'd say safety should be a priority for all firearms users. Also, the guy that only brought one box of 20 rounds to the range, well he probably handloaded them and could drop you from about 500 yds out. And that's not mean as an insult, or attack. I'm simply trying to make a point. Not everyone who goes to the range is there to just dump as many rounds down range as possible.

Whenever I shoot with my father and uncle, it takes FOREVER! Why? Because all of their rounds are handloaded, they are there for accuracy, which translates into clean kills in the field when hunting. I think this is a GOOD thing! So what if it takes them an hour to shoot 10 bullets. They are logging everything from humidity, to wind, etc. They KNOW how to shoot, not just spray bullets downrange.

The first thing I teach my kids when shooting is safety and yes, we spend a lot of time on safety. Because we don't trust ourselves? No, because you should practice safety, at all times, no matter how long you've been shooting, etc. This of course is my opinion but I agree with the original post in that we need some unity, not division.

So what if they don't own an uber cool EBR? So what if they take a n hour to shoot 20 rounds of ammo. The fact of the matter is, they are a gun owner, who votes, and if their only experience with EBR's is the ass clown at the range that thinks he's better than they are, etc. How easy do you think it will be for them to vote against us?

This is the whole point. Why do you think the anti-gunners are trying to split gun owners? Think about it. Don't mean to rant, this is just my .02. Take it for what you paid for it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:32:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Like others have said.... it's not a word for hunter.  It's a word for a hunter who his fine with banning anything but the guns he uses.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:33:57 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, thats what I always thought. Those are people we don't want on our side.

That's that part that I don't understand.

Why in the world would we have folks that "we don't want on our side"?

I want everyone "on my side" regarding TRKBA.

These folks just need to be better educated.  And it's our task to educate them.  

We need to educate them and make them understand that we are all in this fight together and that any law that is aims at one type of firearm, will surely end up outlawing other types.  We can win most of these folks over, if we treat them with respect and explain the issues to them.

Calling them names, like "Fudds", isn't in our best interests.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:42:36 AM EDT
[#41]
I agree we should not alienate hunters. I hunt from time to time myself and support hunting groups and their activities.

I always considered a "Fudd" to be a Zumboeske hunter that would throw us black rifle folks to the wolves in a heartbeat......  the dumbass guys who show up at the range once a year and act like know it alls about all things firearm related and especially our evil "machine guns" with "banana clips" and "tumbling bullets" .

No offense ever meant towards any AR15.COM comrades.   Rick
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:49:13 AM EDT
[#42]
I have come to the understanding that some, given the opportunity to shoot so called EBRs, some will say they like it and gain interest.  I have seen some who do not own a single "EBR" who will fight adamantly against control of them.

I also know that there are some that, as much as I hate to say it, are truely "FUDDs" and look at our "EBRs" as unnecessary and a threat to their rights.  These are the ones that cause me the greatest concern.

Simple name calling though is childish and will get us nowhere.  While there are a minority of people who own guns who wouldn't care if our black rifles were banned, I was impressed to see a company such as Remington who, while not manufacturing what many would refer to as EBRs, did show that they at least believe in the 2nd amendment and that it doesn't mean hunting.  That showed me who our friends really are.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:51:35 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Fudd doesn't mean "hunter." I've bought 7 or 8 Remingtons in the past few years. Fudds are those worthless pricks who ban rapidfire at gun clubs, ban shooting at silhouette targets, ban shooting and moving when the range is empty and say things like "You don't need one of those for hunting and they'll never take my shotgun."

I am not convinced pretending these dirty little John Kerry clones lurking around the skeet ranges of our gunclubs are our "brothers in arms" is very wise.

Penguin man speakum heap big truth.....

Some I believe are just ignorant.

Others, however, will never be convinced. Not everyone with a gun supports the 2nd rights of individuals, and even if their sport was outlawed they would go along with the push.

Others just don't realize the full agenda and will respond if they feel directly threatened.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:55:28 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Agree 100%

Yep. It's time.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:58:30 AM EDT
[#45]
What should we call them then?

No seriously. Good point. However... are they going to extend us the same courtesy?
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 6:11:47 AM EDT
[#46]
The problem with this, as with all issues, is that when it comes time to lighten the boat you have people trying to figure out the best way to do it, and folks that start shoving people overboard hoping to save their own ass.

The Fudds that I've met aren't looking to talk about 2A rights, as far as they're concerned concealed carry is bad, and them big bad guns we like so much are bad.  When it comes ban time they are more than happy to throw us to the wolves as long as Wal-Mart keeps selling $40 rifles. Look at what Bill Ruger did to us with the first AWB if you don't believe me.  

Bottom line- most of the guns I see at the range aren't EBRs, most of the gunners I see out there are plinking away on bolt guns. The range I go to, most people don't support concealed carry.

The biggest problem is - for us to be successful in our fight, we have to support the rights of the Fudds. For the Fudds to be successful they don't have to give a puckered rat's ass about us.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 6:15:03 AM EDT
[#47]
I just want to know, when I was saying many of the things being said freely in this thread, why I was attacked, yet now that the furor is dying down, it's OK for more people to say the same thing?
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 6:16:10 AM EDT
[#48]

No seriously. Good point. However... are they going to extend us the same courtesy?

Probably not, but we'll just have to lead by example. It's really our duty to educate them. We need to take the initiative. Most of them will already have preconceived ideas, etc surrounding EBR's and their owners. They certainly aren't going to come up to us and say "Gee, I feel bad cuz I don't know anything about EBR's. Are they really evil? Can you help me understand?"

You get the point. What we have to do (and of course this is all based on my opinion) is extend courtesy, and take the time to show them that not all EBR owners are running around in camoflauge, and platting to take over the country, etc.

Think about it like this. When is the last time you've watched a movie or television program (outside of hunting, or shooting programs) and the main character was a EBR owner with a CCW and an all around normal guy? No, whenever we see EBR's on TV, in the hands of a citizen, he is wearing a flannel shirt and attending some ant-gov or KKK rally.

This is why most people are "afraid" of the EBR. We need to take the initiative and show them that this simply is not true.

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 6:27:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Clearly, the name fits, at times, just as the "N" word sometimes fits blacks and whites.  Similarly, it should be used less than it is now, but there are some occasions where it's a natural.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 6:37:48 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
True!

Im a hunter &  shooter!
We want to educate hunters.we don't want to alienate them.
My own father who used to hunt for years & was responsable for me hunting needs education!

FUDDS ARE NOT "HUNTERS".

They are morons with guns, who will gladly sell us down the river if it means they can keep their O/U shotgun.

Stop confusing the two.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top