Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2014 7:46:05 AM EST
They are genius spots - I love the simplicity of them and they nailed the writing. It is perfect.

My ONLY criticism is they should have been doing these spots sooner!

Did they hire a new agency?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:48:43 AM EST
Better late than never.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:52:32 AM EST
I just saw one. Shocked it was NRA.

Should have thrown in "Fuck the 99%"...
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:57:19 AM EST
Where's my "NRA Good Guys" car sticker? Come on already.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:58:46 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2014 7:59:38 AM EST by chadh52]
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:01:07 AM EST
About time they started taking marketing seriously. Angry letters with bold, underlined buzz words aren't going to cut it anymore. Not with the younger generation.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:04:39 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By xerxes2695:
About time they started taking marketing seriously. Angry letters with bold, underlined buzz words aren't going to cut it anymore. Not with the younger generation.
View Quote

Yeah, that's why these work so well. At least for me (early 40s). These ads work because for the first time, the NRA makes you feel.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:06:28 AM EST
Originally Posted By eeshooter45:
Where's my "NRA Good Guys" car sticker? Come on already.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:39:34 PM EST
Originally Posted By chadh52:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj3xsX9XMMY

I'll help
View Quote

Much obliged!
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:43:06 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2014 4:44:02 PM EST by tigerx]
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 5:47:09 PM EST
Just saw another couple on Cam&Co. ... Excellent stuff, well conceived, written and performed.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:50:56 PM EST
I love the ads!!!
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:55:17 PM EST
I've seen them posted online here, but I have yet to see one on tv. Are these being run during prime time shows in your area?
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:06:39 PM EST
There is an Ad running in NY against a Cumstain opponent saying how he wants to introduce gun safety programs in school.
Can you imagine the horror of wanting to teach children about gun safety instead of just letting them pick one up and blow themselves or a friend
away by accident. The horror of wanting to teach kids who will most likely will never be afforded the opportunity to learn some basic gun safety lessons outside of the "do not touch it and run away and tell an adult" BS.

These NRA are good.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:12:10 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/23/2014 10:12:58 PM EST by david05111]
Originally Posted By tigerx:
http://youtu.be/sflb0PRviDw
View Quote

I mean, I like the ad. But why are the NRA the good guys, at least according to the ad? To me, it doesn't really offer any substance.

Whereas the Everytown ads with the kids holding guns in weird places and stuff make a quick to understand and powerful point.

At least the NRA is getting its feet wet again though

EDIT: I did see a good anti-Bloomberg NRA ad during the Yankee game tonight on espn...
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:45:06 PM EST
Good ads. Are the haters here yet?
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:03:17 PM EST
Originally Posted By david05111:

I mean, I like the ad. But why are the NRA the good guys, at least according to the ad? To me, it doesn't really offer any substance.

Whereas the Everytown ads with the kids holding guns in weird places and stuff make a quick to understand and powerful point.

EDIT: I did see a good anti-Bloomberg NRA ad during the Yankee game tonight on espn...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I agree...while a step in the right direction, these have a LONG way to go to compete with some of the anti-gun marketing.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:13:56 PM EST

View All Quotes

Wait, are you the same guy shitting in the BATFE / MG / Form 1 thread?
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:30:03 PM EST

View All Quotes

I'm glad if these make a good impression, but I agree they don't actually say much. They sound earnest and heartfelt though.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:07:53 AM EST
These ads are remarkably hollow; I thought they'd be more elaborations on things like what this woman is saying in the RH corner of the picture

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:24:12 AM EST
Originally Posted By lufthansa:
These ads are remarkably hollow; I thought they'd be more elaborations on things like what this woman is saying in the RH lower LH corner of the picture

http://i61.tinypic.com/11j3cld.jpg
View Quote

Fixed
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:28:05 AM EST
The answer to the OP question is simple:

this is fantastic. Acknowledge it, by committing to a life membership.

Doesn't matter what they should have been doing 5 years ago. Doesn'tmatter if you haven't figured out how to turn off their mass mailing.

Just join us.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:37:52 AM EST
Originally Posted By ricomock:

Fixed
View All Quotes
These ads are remarkably hollow; I thought they'd be more elaborations on things like what this woman is saying in the RH lower LH corner of the picture

Fixed

Well done.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:56:24 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/24/2014 1:01:12 AM EST by david05111]
Originally Posted By D_J:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By D_J:

Yep. Whats your point? I think I'm right in both cases. That probably isn't going anywhere long term (at least attacking it that way) and these need work. I'm not here to blow sunshine up anyone's ass, especially when I think group think has taken over. Progress on both fronts is good though.

Read: Am a NRA Life Member and an owner of two machine guns and multiple NFA items on a trust.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 2:55:17 AM EST
They're ok, but they really don't sell the message to anyone not already inclined towards the message. They need to vary the ads, make some with some humor and/or cynicism, and ones that aren't as heavy handed with the drama. Some of Niors rants would already work, give him some help and he could prolly come up with some stuff that would have a broader appeal and be effective.

What are they doing with these anyway? Do they buy ad time on stations?
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 4:55:21 AM EST
Originally Posted By xerxes2695:
View Quote

Sucks, but the NRA blows online.

I like the new spots and they seem to translate well to a semi-captive audience, but they are a dud on the web (The first 11 vids in the series are averaging 17,500 views after being up a month).
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:05:42 AM EST
Originally Posted By Lucifer_Sam:
They're ok, but they really don't sell the message to anyone not already inclined towards the message. They need to vary the ads, make some with some humor and/or cynicism, and ones that aren't as heavy handed with the drama. Some of Niors rants would already work, give him some help and he could prolly come up with some stuff that would have a broader appeal and be effective.

What are they doing with these anyway? Do they buy ad time on stations?
View Quote

A cheap way to "buy" ad time is for us to share the ads on social media - particularly Facebook, Twitter, etc. Even reposting it in gun forums helps a bit...
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:08:00 AM EST

Fixed
View All Quotes

Fixed

You've learned well, Padawan...
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:09:27 AM EST

Good!
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:10:07 AM EST
Originally Posted By Geohans:

Doesn't matter what they should have been doing 5 years ago. Doesn'tmatter if you haven't figured out how to turn off their mass mailing.

Just join us.
View Quote

You've submitted your Lifer paperwork to staff here, right? All NRA Life Members need to have the NRA icon under their avatar.

I know mine took about a year to appear after I first submitted a copy of my card. Got to keep on them about it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 10:14:02 AM EST

Just join us.
View Quote

Oh I'm in. Just not a lifer yet.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 10:19:43 AM EST
Chump bait for the already converted. They will do little other than convince everyone else that the NRA is still firmly planted in la-la land.

But they do make me want to masturbate to the self-defense fantasy stories in American Rifleman.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 11:39:31 AM EST
Originally Posted By eracer:

You've submitted your Lifer paperwork to staff here, right? All NRA Life Members need to have the NRA icon under their avatar.

I know mine took about a year to appear after I first submitted a copy of my card. Got to keep on them about it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By eracer:

Just join us.

How does one do that?
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 11:41:21 AM EST
Originally Posted By 2minkey:
Chump bait for the already converted. They will do little other than convince everyone else that the NRA is still firmly planted in la-la land.

But they do make me want to masturbate to the self-defense fantasy stories in American Rifleman.
View Quote

You've completely misread it. These are clearly acquisition spots.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 11:47:56 AM EST
Great ads/spots! I like all of them. I give the NRA two thumbs up!.......
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 11:55:50 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/24/2014 11:56:13 AM EST by 2minkey]
Originally Posted By macman37:

View All Quotes

Pretend I'm someone who thinks the NRA are a bunch of simple-minded weenies whose sense of romantic violent far outweighs their sense of reality.

How, exactly, do the ads change that impression?
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:15:08 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/24/2014 12:19:42 PM EST by ThunderStick]

View Quote

Yes, these ads preach to the choir. I disagree with your contention that these ads "will convince everyone else that the NRA is still firmly planted in la-la land."

If an individual were to see a new NRA ad for the first time, I am of the opinion he or she would be surprised that it was an NRA ad. The ads address issues

and sentiments that virtually any person, whether liberal or conservative consider relevant and important. I have seen ALL the ads and I think most of the ads would

appeal to the vast majority of America. The ads speak to government corruption, freedom, honesty, family, responsibility, hard work and other values most Americans

cherish. The ads are not about "romanticising violence" as you state in a later post.

I will not speak to your masturbation fantasies.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:20:13 PM EST

View Quote

well thanks for another worthless opinion.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:20:26 PM EST

Pretend I'm someone who thinks the NRA are a bunch of simple-minded weenies whose sense of romantic violent far outweighs their sense of reality.

View All Quotes

You're (in this scenario) too far gone then. Part of advertising is knowing the audience you are advertising to. They are focusing these spots wisely on the middle, who are swayable with a good, inclusive, non threatening, non masturbatory series of ads. Which these deliver, very well.

The people you describe are too far down the rabbit hole to be marketed to - and that's fine, it would be wasted money.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:25:10 PM EST

View All Quotes

It doesn't matter. Trying to convert antis is a waste of time. We want to convert fence sitters, or people who are only mildly pro-gun!
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:26:10 PM EST
One of the issues that the NRA has had in the past was that large newspapers, and mainstream tv wouldn't air or print their ads.

I also think that the price of producing these ads, and broadcasting them has come down.

now someone can post a reply that I am full of crap, but we have had a tough time in the past getting the message out.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:41:09 PM EST
Need more women in the sport.

With that said, spots of female victims, a quick audio blurb of the crime and then showing the ladies running a competition course with a big grin.

" I was raped/burgled/carjacked/robbed but I'm not going to be a victim again, ladies lets put an end to violence (PEWPEWPEW)"
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 4:56:44 PM EST
Originally Posted By dex357:
One of the issues that the NRA has had in the past was that large newspapers, and mainstream tv wouldn't air or print their ads.

I also think that the price of producing these ads, and broadcasting them has come down.

now someone can post a reply that I am full of crap, but we have had a tough time in the past getting the message out.
View Quote

Nope you hit it on the head.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 5:00:13 PM EST
Originally Posted By CROQ:

With that said, spots of female victims, a quick audio blurb of the crime and then showing the ladies running a competition course with a big grin.

" I was raped/burgled/carjacked/robbed but I'm not going to be a victim again, ladies lets put an end to violence (PEWPEWPEW)"
View Quote

I do think that we need more women in to shooting.

However, I don't think running ads making women victims or vengeful is the right move. Capitalizing on fear is not a good motivator.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 5:19:48 PM EST

However, I don't think running ads making women victims or vengeful is the right move. Capitalizing on fear is not a good motivator.
View All Quotes

Sad fact is 50-75% of women are victims. This would be an example of empowerment and conquering fear. "It happened once, I've learned I do not have to submit, I will not submit again." It's all in how it's presented. Victimized women see Jessie Duff and think they could never do that. Victimized women watching another victim doing what Jessie Duff does is another ballgame. IMHO
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:21:47 PM EST

Sad fact is 50-75% of women are victims. This would be an example of empowerment and conquering fear. "It happened once, I've learned I do not have to submit, I will not submit again." It's all in how it's presented. Victimized women see Jessie Duff and think they could never do that. Victimized women watching another victim doing what Jessie Duff does is another ballgame. IMHO
View All Quotes

I get it. Perhaps that could be another "prong" in the media plan. Get women to come to the NRA site via these ads > show them other ads depicting strong women holding their own as an equal, unafraid.

I just like that they're not using stark fear as their marketing. It's low hanging fruit. Because not all women are victimized.
Top Top