Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/26/2006 7:28:29 AM EDT
Humor me, because I'm bored.

My dad is a truck driver, and has been for the last 25 years. In those years, he's hauled nearly everything imaginable. His longest gig was as a milk tanker in California. He was home every night, made around $15/hr (IIRC) and typically worked 14 hour days. All in all not too bad, but it seemed like an awful lot of work for the money. His primary complaint has always been that the only way to make more money was to simply work more hours. As a local driver, he always seemed to quickly hit a cap in hourly (or per mile as the case may be) pay.

That left over the road trucking. While he was always reasonably certain that he could pull down a respectable income, it came with a price. His family would never see him. I once had a neighbor who team drove with his wife for two years. Together, they pulled down $300,000 in those two years. They NEVER stopped. After two years, they took the money they had saved, bought a huge house in California, and found local jobs. Their child was now old enough to go to kindergarden, so having the child spend her time in the sleeper wasn't going to work anymore. Fine and dandy.

Then we have owner operators. This is the aspect of the industry that intrigues me. My dad is of the opinion that there simply isn't a way for a man with one truck to make a decent living. He quickly reminds me of his close friends who have tried this and failed. Things were great for a while, then the truck needed maintenance. Truck down? No money. No money? No repairs. It's kind of a catch-22, he says. He says "Sure, you'll get $1.00 a mile, but you've got fuel costs, huge truck payment, taxes, maintenance, unexpected emergencies, etc. You just can't come out ahead".

While all of that sounds reasonable, I keep coming back to the fact that there ARE owner operators who are doing very well. There ARE owner operators who see these challenges and have succesfully overcome them. I want to know what they know.

I'm a computer guy. I've been gainfully employed in information technology for 9 years - even during the dot com bust. When the consensus was "The market is saturated, and good paying IT jobs are hard to find", I proved them wrong time and time again. I still do. I never cared what the doom and gloom crowd thought,. I wanted to hear what the successful people were doing.

So that brings me to trucking. I want to hear stories from people who are doing well, and I want to know how they address common challenges. I want to know how they overcome obstacles that so many others consider insurmountable. Whether it's as a local/OTR company driver, or an owner operator, I want to hear what works.

Or, let's just talk about the trucking industry in general. It fascinates me.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:35:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/26/2006 7:35:26 AM EDT by raven]
Seems to me as a owner, your fortunes are tied to the price of oil, something beyond your control.

Unless you hedge in the derivatives markets, that would SEVERLY suck, IMO.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:38:26 AM EDT
I love this subject I'M not bragging but I have one of the best truckdriving jobs around We are teamsters I haul new car's and trucks from assembly plants to the dealer $1.06 a mile $20.68 an hour driving a company truck M-f I love it been here 8 years. It's been really good to my family enabled us to build a new house we have a pretty good life right now I'm on vation for 4 weeks we're taking the kids to Florida for a weeks stay at Disney World the week of Easter. Make no mistake I've been Driving for 18 years and I HAD TO PAY MY DUES TO GET WHERE I AM TODAY. If I had to do all over wouldn't change a thing
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:42:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By raven:
Seems to me as a owner, your fortunes are tied to the price of oil, something beyond your control.

Unless you hedge in the derivatives markets, that would SEVERLY suck, IMO.

Perhaps, but increases in fuel costs affect everybody. I'm sure the larger companies are better equipped to handle this, but there ARE successful owner operators who have figured out a way to overcome this. Higher prices maybe?

I'd like to know how successful owner operators actually find loads, and how price is determined. Further, I'd love to know how customers (like me or my company) actually find the drivers. I always wonder about this when I see some no-name truck driving down the interstate with a trailer full of whatever: I've never heard of this company. How did anybody else find out about him? He ain't exactly in the phone book.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:44:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Carhlr:
I love this subject I'M not bragging but I have one of the best truckdriving jobs around We are teamsters I haul new car's and trucks from assembly plants to the dealer $1.06 a mile $20.68 an hour driving a company truck M-f I love it been here 8 years. It's been really good to my family enabled us to build a new house we have a pretty good life right now I'm on vation for 4 weeks we're taking the kids to Florida for a weeks stay at Disney World the week of Easter. Make no mistake I've been Driving for 18 years and I HAD TO PAY MY DUES TO GET WHERE I AM TODAY. If I had to do all over wouldn't change a thing

Interesting, thanks! How many hours a day do you work, Monday through Friday?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:51:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/26/2006 8:03:42 AM EDT by Outsider_10fp]
I am sure you read my post about being a Driver than IT then back to driving.

I am an O/Ofor Landstar ( I am sure you have seen us). I make well over a measley dollar a mile. I pull a step deck ( not a flatbed) and do specialized freight. I do well over 175k GROSS!

I also said trucking and drug dealing is similar and this is how:
Mfgs=mfgrs
Brokers= Kingpins
comapnys are the suppliers
Drivers/ Owners = trafficing

Now what starts out as $4 a mile freight gets passed down and people take their cut
so by the time it gets to me it is at $1.80 to $2.50 a mile.
Drivers are dodging the cops/ DOT/ and stupid ass 4wheelers trying to kill us.
We keep strange hours and take all the risks.

See how it is similar
Also companys like to treat drivers like morons and retards. Forced dispatch and ream the rookies pretty hard ( take advantage of being green). All companys that have drivers lie to them to get them to hire on, and I mean ALL of them. they offer .40 cents a mile but only give you 1800 miles a week.

I, as an owner op do fair. I choose where i go whrn I go and will NOT haul stuff for free.
Free being this:
It cost me around $1.05 a mile to operate my truck ( including .32 cents a mile salary).
If a load is paying $1.50 a mile:
I get 78% of 98% which equals $1.146 cents per mile.
So instead if .32 cents as a driver I get .41.
the funny part is the mfg is paying around 2.50 a mile and wonder why drivers are always pissed off
That is a BS scenario, as I DO NOT haul anything less than 2.25 a mile gross.

Why do I do it you ask?
I hate being stuck in the same place everyday, dealing with the SAME idiots for 8 hours a day.
I get to deal with DIFFERENT idiots everyday.
I get to go all over the US shooting at different places, Hopefully I can get to Knob Creek this year!
That is if my blown $3,000 head gasket gets fixed by Mid week.
I meet lots of different people and go to different Mil bases and crazy stuff like that.
I get to operate heavy equipment, cars and HumVees. I sleep when I want and eat when I want.
I can have a ride along if I so choose.
I can stop for a few days in NYC and play "tourist" .
AND the best part.... I am mu own boss!
to boot I gots me a nice ride yo!

Beats dealing with an asshole breathing down your neck all the time!
ETA: i can spell just not type

As for finding loads, we have an online site that we can choose our loads from.
I just did a search from within 250 miles from Lumberton NC and came up with 382 loads.
All picking up by the 29th. And all going anywhere.
There is much more to what I do than what you see on TV or the news.
I have offered to take ArfComers on trips before to let them see how we "carry the nations economy" on several occasions and the invite still staqnds (but you are sleeping on the floor, NOT in my bunk)!
Most think of trucks that benefit them as UPS/FEDEX and the likes , sorry to ruin it, but they are just a small part. If it were NOT for OTR guys we'd all be screwed.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:53:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/26/2006 7:56:26 AM EDT by Carhlr]

Originally Posted By SubnetMask:

Interesting, thanks! How many hours a day do you work, Monday through Friday?

We operate on a 60 hr log book usually I make 2 trips to Detroit a week out and back done by noon on Friday. leave mon home tue night leave wed am home thur night then I run a "short" chicago on fri and call it quits. To tell you the truth with the capibility of making 70 to 100k a year they have a real hard time finding people to work they haven't hired in 5 or 6 years there were 13 guys that started the same day I did there are 3 of us left.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:59:04 AM EDT
Most O/O are setup with brokers. Brokers will take a percentage of what a run will pay as commission for finding a run for a O/O. If a O/O has a good broker then they can make good money. However, I have never run over-the-road, this is just what O/O have told me. I am in the towing and recovery game. I make 30% of what my truck makes. However, I am on call 24/7, but 95% of the time I have a pretty regular working hours. I am a greedy driver, I will not go home unless I have done atleast $600 to $700 revenue a day. Some days are longer that others. But the towing game is a shit-happens-buisness, I make money when the SHTF.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:08:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By bigcraig:
Most O/O are setup with brokers. Brokers will take a percentage of what a run will pay as commission for finding a run for a O/O. If a O/O has a good broker then they can make good money. However, I have never run over-the-road, this is just what O/O have told me. ......

Wrong! MOST are leased (contracted) to ONE carrier.
Long gone are the days of "running Cowboy" (own authority). Too high Ins, brokers NOT paying in conracted time frame, and the likes.
I was down to the mailing out the app for my own DOT/ ICC numbers and backed out and opted for Landstar instead.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:13:02 AM EDT
Trucker clock, who wants it?!?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:14:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DDiggler:

we dont have clocks as we "adjust" the time as we feel the need
So your "trucker Clock' is bogus!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:16:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/26/2006 8:17:14 AM EDT by bigcraig]
Wrong! MOST are leased (contracted) to ONE carrier.
Long gone are the days of "running Cowboy" (own authority). Too high Ins, brokers NOT paying in conracted time frame, and the likes.
I was down to the mailing out the app for my own DOT/ ICC numbers and backed out and opted for Landstar instead.
I stand corrected.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:18:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/26/2006 8:30:38 AM EDT by SubnetMask]
Outsider_10fp:

Wow, now THAT'S some great information. It's even better hearing it from somebody who likes what they do. From one IT guy to another (former ), I gotta say good on ya!

I have some questions, though.

1. You say it costs you $1.05 to operate your truck, including a .32/mile salary. Can you break that cost down for me?

2. "I get 78% of 98% which equals $1.146 cents per mile". What does that mean? 78% of 98% of what? I don't understand.

3. How difficult is it for you to find loads that pay $2.25 a mile? Why doesn't everybody do this?

4. (This is a big one) How did you purchase your truck? They're pretty damned expensive, to put it mildly. What kind of truck is it, and how much was it?

5. Do you do your own work on the truck, or do you have a shop do it?

6. How do you budget for regular maintenance and unexpected repairs (like that $3000 head gasket)? Are you afraid of a catastrophic failure putting you out of business?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:37:14 AM EDT
Tag
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:46:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/26/2006 8:48:27 AM EDT by oulufinn]
It's great talking to the OTR guys. We ship/receive 3 or 4 brokered loads per week and except for the non-english speaking guys (How in the hell do they get a hazmat endorsement?). Most are hard working guys who have tons of stories and are from all different parts of the country. Kudos to the drivers out there!!

eta-I think we have a Landstar yard just down the street here in Mansfield off of 917..
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:48:27 AM EDT

Outsider_10fp:

Wow, now THAT'S some great information. It's even better hearing it from somebody who likes what they do. From one IT guy to another (former ), I gotta say good on ya!

I have some questions, though.

1. You say it costs you $1.05 to operate your truck, including a .32/mile salary. Can you break that cost down for me?
Costs are in 2 catagories, fixed and variable (oil based and such are the latter).
Fixed are a per mile and daily/monthly.
Here is a link to a similar spreadsheet I use Link

2. "I get 78% of 98% which equals $1.146 cents per mile". What does that mean? 78% of 98% of what? I don't understand.
That is my cut of the "posted" rate.
Ex. "agent" (landstar broker) post a load that GROSS at 2.50 a mile, I get 78% of 98% of the GROSS

3. How difficult is it for you to find loads that pay $2.50 a mile? Not too hard at Landstar, fairly common. Most other carriers kinda tuff
Why doesn't everybody do this? Landstar has a %75 turn DOWN rate on applicants, so it is for the best of the best drivers.

4. (This is a big one) How did you purchase your truck? With hard IT earned income, and a stash of savings. Most drivers cant do it on a drivers salary. I am convinced it is a "conspiricy of the large companys".
They're pretty damned expensive, to put it mildly. New are around $125,000 and up, for a somewhat decked out one. Bottom of teh barrel is around 80 K.
What kind of truck is it, and how much was it? Mine is a 2000 Western Star Just like this one but with a custom 2 tone green paint job. I paid 50K for it 3 years ago, 15K under LOAN value. It is my 3rd truck since 9/11.

5. Do you do your own work on the truck, or do you have a shop do it? Most stuff that does NOT require air tools of lifts , yes. I even installed a cam system with Lilliput touchscreen in the dash.
I am going to build a "gun storage" system so I can hide them too. I do all kinds of small repair jobs ( ie Turbos, Alternators, wiring, and the likes.)

6. How do you budget for regular maintenance and unexpected repairs (like that $3000 head gasket)? It is part of the $1.05 a mile. I budget 5-7 cents per mile for minor to mid priced repairs and PM ( preventative maint.)
Are you afraid of a catastrophic failure putting you out of business?
Right now, NO. I actually have equity in my truck. It is worth 35-38 K and I owe less than 8. And I have a clear title. So if I blow my motor next month, I will put a lean on it.

Specs on truck:
2000 Western Star model 4964 EX ( 135" front bumber to back of CAB, not sleeper)
76" sleeper which I can stand up in.
550 HP Cat motor
18 speed tranny
3:36 rears
translation LARGE CAR
The difference between a large car and a big truck, A big truck goes as fast as it can, A large car goes as fast as IT WANTS TO!
For the record it'll do 115 mph or a bit better

I have short mans complex ( I am 5'8") and I drive one of the fastest trucks on teh road. I have only been passed "unwilingly" 3 times in 3 years. Last truck 5 times in 2 years. and first truck on a daily basis

Outside of the business standpoint, there is a LOT of pride amongst truckers ( well O/O's anyhow) so AA nice truck is like owning an FA at the range. You cannot have a nice truck and NOT make money , it is impossible.

How far are you from Louisville? If close check out the Mid America truck show www.truckingshow.com/
Nevermind, I forgot it was this weekend
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:48:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Outsider_10fp:

Originally Posted By DDiggler:

we dont have clocks as we "adjust" the time as we feel the need
So your "trucker Clock' is bogus!

Google "trucker clock" "Joel Lindley"... it's a comedy bit.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:48:49 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:07:48 PM EDT
If I were an owner-operator, Landstar would sound good just because you can look up all available loads on a laptop computer and dispatch yourself.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:39:21 PM EDT
tag
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:52:23 PM EDT
I drive for an LTL carrier thats non union. We make just over twenty an hour, and our insurance is cheap. I work 4 ten hour days, I do get a little overtime.I am home every night. I dont think I would own a trk unless I could do speciality hauling. I like my gig, if I braek down I call dispatch, sit , wait, and still get paid!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:58:58 PM EDT
Tag.

I'm 48, divorced, no real ties, no debt execpt child support payments and LOVE driving and seeing the country (nearly 40k miles in the last 7 months).

I've been giving some *serious* thought to looking into truck driving.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:23:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Airwolf:
Tag.

I'm 48, divorced, no real ties, no debt execpt child support payments and LOVE driving and seeing the country (nearly 40k miles in the last 7 months).

I've been giving some *serious* thought to looking into truck driving.

I say go for it, but choose who you work for , for the first year.
You will get reamed as bad on the road as you do in here

BUT after a few year tour, you'll be doing the razing!

I give Noobs shit on a daily basis to the point they want to pull over and fight me
It is the worst job you'll ever love.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:24:49 PM EDT
What about carrying arms? Long guns or handguns.

Some areas of the country are obviously worse then others, so is it your own risk with the law and/or company, or is the sleeper considered "home" in this context?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:26:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/26/2006 3:26:23 PM EDT by Barrelburner]

Originally Posted By TodaysTomSawyer:

Some areas of the country are obviously worse then others, so is it your own risk with the law and/or company, or is the sleeper considered "home" in this context?

you would have to comply with local laws. You also would have to be an independent, as no company would ever allow this.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:31:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Barrelburner:

you would have to comply with local laws. You also would have to be an independent, as no company would ever allow this.

Must follow sate laws.
Some companys dont have a firearms policy, but most do. I am sure if you wanted to talk to the terminal manager etc, with a CHP, he might look the other way.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:34:30 PM EDT
What do you guys think about this place?

Driver Solutions

They do headhunting and driver training for P.A.M., U.S.A. Truck, and Star Transport.

That's pretty much what I figured. Do you guys feel like you're in much danger when in bad areas or catching Zs at a rest area?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:40:23 PM EDT
I once made $13,000 in 33 days driving 40 yard end dumps for a construction company. 12/day, every day. Pretty sweet work when you can get it.

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:43:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/26/2006 3:54:36 PM EDT by Barrelburner]
Last year I made about 64k driving long-haul as an employee for a large outfit.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:49:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/26/2006 3:50:25 PM EDT by Outsider_10fp]

Driver Solutions

They do headhunting and driver training for P.A.M., U.S.A. Truck, and Star Transport. Same company , this is a recriuters site, one guy/gal. do your own research on companys.
try Truck.nets NooB forum

Some areas of the country are obviously worse then others, so is it your own risk with the law and/or company, or is the sleeper considered "home" in this context?There is no place sacred in a truck. DOT can and will hassle YES HASSLE you like you would not believe

That's pretty much what I figured. Do you guys feel like you're in much danger when in bad areas or catching Zs at a rest area? This is why I pack

To elaborate on how the DOT works:
You are going across I-10 at 65mph in a 70 zone (your truck is limited to 65,electronically) DOT pulls in behind you and lights em up.
You: Officer what did I do?
DOT: Nothing just want to look you and your truck over
You: Why?
DOT: 'cause I can and I am bored
You:
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:53:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/26/2006 3:54:56 PM EDT by Carhlr]

Driver Solutions

They do headhunting and driver training for P.A.M., U.S.A. Truck, and Star Transport.

That's pretty much what I figured. Do you guys feel like you're in much danger when in bad areas or catching Zs at a rest area?

PAM STAR AND USA are entry level jobs at best.........you gotta start somewhere
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:57:14 PM EDT

If you don't mind being MURDERED in a rest area in the middle of the night or held up in some shit hole city don't carry..........Don't ask don't tell
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:01:19 PM EDT

If you don't mind being MURDERED in a rest area in the middle of the night or held up in some shit hole city don't carry..........Don't ask don't tell

That is a rare occurance, not to mention it scared me a bit

Concealed is concealed, but I treat my guns like AmEx, never leave home without them.
When my StarCruiser gets out of the shop I gotta build a led lined false panel to hide a few of them oif not ALL of them.

ANYONE have really thin led sheets they can donate or sell me , cheap?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:04:13 PM EDT

I get ya.

It makes no F-in sense to me. Armored cars have drivers with firearms and you guys get dick. You carry a load worth $$$$ and the only thing between thieves and it is you.

Nationwide CCW would be good then just STFU about having it - or does having a CDL give .gov and the company the opportunity to know everything you do and every move you make. IOW, if you have a CHL, would the company know because of the nature of your driver's license?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:07:12 PM EDT

I get ya.

It makes no F-in sense to me. Armored cars have drivers with firearms and you guys get dick. You carry a load worth $$$$ and the only thing between thieves and it is you.

Nationwide CCW would be good then just STFU about having it - or does having a CDL give .gov and the company the opportunity to know everything you do and every move you make. IOW, if you have a CHL, would the company know because of the nature of your driver's license?

I doubt that the CDL info would tell them you have a CCW. They tell you what their rules are, but they aren't very proactive about finding out if you followed them. But if a company found out you had a gun in their truck, you would doubtlessly be fired on the spot, probably a couple thousand miles from home.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:10:32 PM EDT

I get ya.

Noope , they dont have that capability, and as BBL Burner said, I doubt they wouold shit can you on the spot. More than likely tell you to leave it at home or get you back to a terminal THEN shitcan you.
I have been out here for the better part of 20 years and have NEVER heard anyone getting fired over a pistol.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:17:09 PM EDT

Outsider_10fp:

Specs on truck:
2000 Western Star model 4964 EX ( 135" front bumber to back of CAB, not sleeper)
550 HP Cat motor
18 speed tranny
translation LARGE CARThe difference between a large car and a big truck, A big truck goes as fast as it can, A large car goes as fast as IT WANTS TO!

I have short mans complex ( I am 5'8") and I drive one of the fastest trucks on teh road. I have only been passed "unwilingly" 3 times in 3 years. Last truck 5 times in 2 years. and first truck on a daily basis

Outside of the business standpoint, there is a LOT of pride amongst truckers ( well O/O's anyhow) so AA nice truck is like owning an FA at the range. You cannot have a nice truck and NOT make money , it is impossible.

How far are you from Louisville? If close check out the Mid America truck show www.truckingshow.com/

Typical dumb trucker comments. Way to help our public image!

Travis
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:18:14 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:20:41 PM EDT

Concealed is concealed, but I treat my guns like AmEx, never leave home without them.
When my StarCruiser gets out of the shop I gotta build a led lined false panel to hide a few of them oif not ALL of them.

This might be a vilolation of COC rules.

You sure are an outlaw trucker, huh. And you say Landstar only hires the Best of the Best? Wow!

Travis
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:23:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/26/2006 4:26:11 PM EDT by Outsider_10fp]

Originally Posted By TravisJ1:

Outsider_10fp:

Specs on truck:
550 HP Cat motor
18 speed tranny
translation LARGE CARThe difference between a large car and a big truck, A big truck goes as fast as it can, A large car goes as fast as IT WANTS TO!

Travis

thanx, Like you have never done something of the likes?
These are the things I hear from rookies or the sheeple drivers.
To this day there are places that the cops just shake thier heads and want to slap you.
I have RACED cops on the interstate, all while talking shit on the radio.

YOU need to be out here longer before you talk smack!

Half of this game is to have fun!
The other half is to work smart enough to have fun the other half!

FTR- My driving record is SPOTLESS!
Never get caught doing things that can land you in jail

ETA: IT is MY truck not anyone elses, there for I can do with it as I please!
I wouldnt have been leased on if my crap was NOT in a row.
You have NEVER driven a rig over 65 have you?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:29:01 PM EDT

You sure are an outlaw trucker, huh. And you say Landstar only hires the Best of the Best? Wow!

Travis

COC violation?
WTF are you talking about????????

IT IS MY TRUCK!!!!!!
I own it I paid for it, where does the outlaw thing come from??
Oh, the LED lining, You know theives are scanning trucks ( mainly sissy vans ) for good freight and then STEALING them.........................

jeeeeeez
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:40:39 PM EDT

Travis

COC violation?
WTF are you talking about????????

IT IS MY TRUCK!!!!!!
I own it I paid for it, where does the outlaw thing come from??
Oh, the LED lining, You know theives are scanning trucks ( mainly sissy vans ) for good freight and then STEALING them.........................

jeeeeeez

No.......It is because the federal government prohibits this or any other weapon. Read your little green book!

But look dude, I dont't care what you do as long as you are safe. I just think that truckers that boast about pushing the law look bad in the eyes of non truck drivers.

Same goes for irresponsible gun owners. See the conection?

Not slamming you, just might want to whatch who you brag to.

Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down,

Travis
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:45:39 PM EDT

Outsider_10fp:

Specs on truck:
550 HP Cat motor
18 speed tranny

Travis

thanx, Like you have never done something of the likes?
These are the things I hear from rookies or the sheeple drivers.
To this day there are places that the cops just shake thier heads and want to slap you.
I have RACED cops on the interstate, all while talking shit on the radio.

YOU need to be out here longer before you talk smack!

Half of this game is to have fun!
The other half is to work smart enough to have fun the other half!

FTR- My driving record is SPOTLESS!
Never get caught doing things that can land you in jail

ETA: IT is MY truck not anyone elses, there for I can do with it as I please!
I wouldnt have been leased on if my crap was NOT in a row.
You have NEVER driven a rig over 65 have you?

I too have owned my own truck. I also hauled specialized comodities. Nothing under 100,000lbs. 8 axle combinations, doubles, triples, ect.

Yes I have gone over 65mph, and I have over 1,000,000 safe accident free miles.

It is all about additude and public image.

Just my humble dumb steering wheel jockey opinion

Travis
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:49:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/26/2006 4:51:03 PM EDT by Outsider_10fp]

No.......It is because the federal government prohibits this or any other weapon. Read your little green book!

Show me! Do you really think I would risk a felony firearms conviction?
Keep going you will show your ignorance.

Go to Federal Motor Carrieirs Saftey Administrations Web site and get the the title code!! Then and only then will I eat crow!
BTW Buses, planes and trains are NOT in the same catagory I am in, so scratch that idea.

It is this exact mentality of belief of such urban legends that gets alot of truckers robbed!

ETA: I will give you this link to FMCSA regs and ANYONE can do a search for guns firearms weapons etc.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:09:40 PM EDT
Say I put myself through truck driving school and wanted to do over the road hauling-How would I go about getting a good job, what could I expect to make in a year, how often would I be home? As it is now, I work a lot of hours and would only be giving up 5-10k if 60-65 a year is average for an OTR driver-which is worth it to not have to deal with people every day in my current line of work (tool and die). No attachments currently, and looking for a change.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:15:23 PM EDT
Well i agree with what, Outsider_10fp said.

I to own my own truck and trl. I also pull a step deck and have a older double drop i have for those HIGH paying loads.

Last year i ran about 70,000 miles and spent 200 night away from home. Now for all those nites and those miles. I gross'd 156-k. Before you say WOW! Thats before fuel,Ins,repairs,new traps,chains, and anything else you can think.

I also just mailed a check to the IRS for about $20,000.00.Not much left after all was paid and fixed. Truck is old with almost a million miles, Trl need's painted.

After all was said and done i paid tax on 38-k on my self. And just REMEBER 200 NITES sleeping in my truck,taking truck stop showers,Eating SHIT food that made our MRE'S look great. No its not for every one. I'm trying to sell two older trucks I own and get into doing something thats going to have a better return.

This fuel price thing is just going to spin out of control, till the little guy just cann't aford to go on.

I don't now how these guys that are making .90-1.10 a mile are even making enought to buy fuel? Here in ohio its $2.55 today, And you only get 5-6 mph. Oh,you'll get guys that say "Im doing 7-9 mpg" AND THERE FULL OF S.H.I.T.

Do you here that??? Listen carefully,,,,,,,Stay away, STAY AWAY FROM TRUCK'S. Its only a job, not much of living.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:16:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:
Say I put myself through truck driving school and wanted to do over the road hauling-How would I go about getting a good job, what could I expect to make in a year, how often would I be home? As it is now, I work a lot of hours and would only be giving up 5-10k if 60-65 a year is average for an OTR driver-which is worth it to not have to deal with people every day in my current line of work (tool and die). No attachments currently, and looking for a change.

60-65k is above average for OTR company drivers. Some owner operators do very well. Some lose their asses. I think average starting pay is somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-40k for company drivers. With most companies you would be away from home for 2-3 weeks at a time. Most companies like to give you a day at home for every week on the road. Turnover is very high in long-haul trucking, due to the stresses of the job.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:18:25 PM EDT

Go to Federal Motor Carrieirs Saftey Administrations Web site and get the the title code!! Then and only then will I eat crow!
BTW Buses, planes and trains are NOT in the same catagory I am in, so scratch that idea.

It is this exact mentality of belief of such urban legends that gets alot of truckers robbed!

ETA: I will give you this link to FMCSA regs and ANYONE can do a search for guns firearms weapons etc.

No Sir!!!

I must eat crow!

I do appologize, I had allways been told that it was against the law, federally, to carry in a commercial vehicle.

What about going to areas that don't allow weapons? New York dosent right? Canada, Chicago, Detroit or was I misinformed about all that too?

Still think the comments about raceing cops and going 115mph isnt wise.

Again, I appologize, you schooled me!

Travis
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:19:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:

LOL, this is what I get asked all the time.
First: 50k a year starting off?? more like 32k or so
There are no "good jobs" the first year they all suck ( nowadays) just suck it up and ask the right questions before hire and NOT to a recruiter, to the terminal manager.
Home time is gonna vary, but I will say this a year in trucking is like 5 months to non drivers, it goes by very fast.
check out the truck.net link above

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:31:42 PM EDT

No Sir!!!

I must eat crow!

I do appologize, I had allways been told that it was against the law, federally, to carry in a commercial vehicle.

What about going to areas that don't allow weapons? New York dosent right? Canada, Chicago, Detroit or was I misinformed about all that too?

Still think the comments about raceing cops and going 115mph isnt wise.

Again, I appologize, you schooled me!

Travis

I hear it all the time no biggie.

Conversation between me and a NYC police

Me: Mr PoPo, where is this place , the street ends and ..
Cop: the street is broken go two blocks and reconnect to this st, it is there, but you sure you wanna go there at 2 am?
Me: yeah, I gotta be there in 5 hours
Cop: I hope you gotta gun, you'll need it !
Me;

MOST cops are cool, but I rarely go in the "red states"
If you look at the Feds firearms there is a "clause" for traversing states.
I make it a rule not to take loads to those anti states, screw them let em go hungry

You think what I said is "bad" about cops drag racing me, LOL, that is the mild shit we have pulled

The days of going side to side ( NC to CA) in 2 days are Loooooooong gone,
BUT I have done it in that time frame

I am a firm believer that there is a safe way to fuck up, just dont get caught .

FTR, I have right at 2 million miles with ZERO crashes, not even a scratch. NO moviong violations on my record in over 10 years.
Only missed one appointment in the last ...... crap a long time.. that was last month, blown oil cooler and a 2 day wait on the part.

OH, I am only 36 years old and took 2 years off for college (2nd degree) and a uh hummm "real job".
I dones me a bit O truckin' since I was 17
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:35:41 PM EDT
I like these:

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top