Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 3/19/2013 10:04:18 AM EDT
Guys- I raise 100% grass-fed beef and pasture-raised pork for a living. I market all my meats directly to local high end restaurants, through a CSA and at Farmers Markets. We do 11 types of pork sausage as well as grass-fed beef hotdogs, burgers and stirfry packs. I want to do more beef sausages. For a variety of reasons, I'm not interested in marketing steaks. There are not a lot of traditional beef sausages. I am looking at doing a nitrate-free pepperoni, a beef kielbasa and a beef chorizo. Any thoughts or suggestions from the hive? We are fortunate to have a pretty highend "foodie" clientele and I am looking for more ideas that would appeal to them. Thanks for any thoughts!
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 10:36:37 AM EDT
Are you looking for recipe suggestions, or marketing opportunities?
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 10:37:45 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Ranxerox911:
Are you looking for recipe suggestions, or marketing opportunities?

or free samples?
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 10:44:05 AM EDT
This thread title makes me feel uncomfortable. I need an adult.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 10:45:50 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Vaux:

im here sweethart .... now lets go back into the dark closet so you can hold the spitting snake..........

jk ......
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 10:46:42 AM EDT
Will there be wimmenz?
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 10:47:16 AM EDT
Kosher salami! Think Hebrew National style. One of the best selling beef sausage in the country. Can it be done nitrate free? Maybe not. Worth some research.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 10:55:17 AM EDT
That's what she said.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 10:55:27 AM EDT
I just know that if you were local to us we'd buy from you.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 10:58:29 AM EDT
Originally Posted By dubBinSEA:

im here sweethart .... now lets go back into the dark closet so you can hold the spitting snake..........

jk ......

You're not helping my comfort level one bit.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 10:59:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By OnlineAllTheTime:
I just know that if you were local to us we'd buy from you.

What she said.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 11:01:24 AM EDT
jalepeener sausage FTMFW
don't care if you add cheese or not, but gotta have the jalepeener sausage...
jalepeener, got it?
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 11:06:14 AM EDT
<Removed - CoC>
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 11:08:24 AM EDT
Originally Posted By TexasOutdoorsman:
jalepeener sausage FTMFW
jalepeener, got it?

We do a jalapeno chipotle pork sausage and folks love it. There are just not that many options for beef.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 11:10:09 AM EDT
What state are you in, out of curiosity?
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 11:11:15 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Subnet:

Sssshhhhhh......it's a super secret.

Apparently.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 11:11:56 AM EDT

Apparently.

All I want to hear is, "I'm in NE Ohio".
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 11:12:08 AM EDT
Look up some sujuk (sucuk) recipes
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 11:12:56 AM EDT

Apparently.

All I want to hear is, "I'm in NE Ohio".

Well, we know he's not in Texas because who the hell hides the fact that they're in Texas?

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 11:13:25 AM EDT

Well, we know he's not in Texas because who the hell hides the fact that they're in Texas?

That's a good point.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 11:16:22 AM EDT
Originally Posted By FarmerPatriot:
jalepeener sausage FTMFW
jalepeener, got it?

We do a jalapeno chipotle pork sausage and folks love it. There are just not that many options for beef.

What sort of German recipes (or even Americanized German recipes) would be marketable? Anything from South America - I thought the Argentenians were big cattle ranchers?

Basically, I think if you stay away from any U.K. recipes, you're probably good to go.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 11:19:11 AM EDT
jalepeener sausage FTMFW
jalepeener, got it?

take beef
grind beef
add jalepeeners
no options necessary
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 11:20:12 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Ranxerox911:
jalepeener sausage FTMFW
jalepeener, got it?

What sort of German recipes (or even Americanized German recipes) would be marketable? Anything from South America - I thought the Argentenians were big cattle ranchers?

Basically, I think if you stay away from any U.K. recipes, you're probably good to go.

wise words right there
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 11:20:29 AM EDT
Kosher Knockwurst? Yeah, it's just a big hot dog to some, but they go so well with sauerkraut...

I'd think that more or less any kosher sausage-type product would be primarily beef.

I think there's a lack of beef sausage in the world for a reason - pork is a much more neutrally-flavored meat to start with. Beef fat has a very distinct flavor, and not one that's always a positive.

What about jerky or dried beef? One of my wife's uncles used to smoke his own dried beef and that shit was phenomenal. He died a while back and I think one of his sons-in-law has the recipe but I don't know that any has been made in years.

The recipe was roughly "marinate in salt water thick enough to float an egg (in the shell)" then smoke until dry. Slice thinly.

I have no idea how long they soaked that stuff, and your cardiologist is not interested.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 11:27:32 AM EDT
Any wursts that taste better than a Johnsonville. Hotdogs made with real beef, not beaks, feet and penis gristle and assholes.

Make them Kosher and open a New York City boutique. Rake in the cash.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 11:33:33 AM EDT
Originally Posted By w12x40:
Any wursts that taste better than a Johnsonville. Hotdogs made with real beef, not beaks, feet and penis gristle and assholes.

Thanks. We already make and grill 100% grass-fed nitrate-free hotdogs from primal cuts in natural US sourced casings. We sell packs and grill at the markets. I guess maybe I need a sattelite office in NYC.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 12:19:31 PM EDT
Do you sell online? can I buy from you and ship to CA?
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 12:24:15 PM EDT
Make a simple beef kielbasa that is not salty-as-shit-with-bone-chunks-in-it, and you'd find a huge market.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 12:30:46 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Harvster:
Make a simple beef kielbasa that is not salty-as-shit-with-bone-chunks-in-it, and you'd find a huge market.

And pickle it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 12:42:05 PM EDT
There are scads of German sausage recipes. Perhaps you could take a fact finding trip. Come home and market your own version, and open a microbrewery while you are at it.

Actually, franchise it and put all those puke places out of business (applebees, rubytuesdays, etc.)
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 12:48:21 PM EDT
I'm too immature for this thread.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 12:53:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/19/2013 12:55:57 PM EDT by w12x40]
Originally Posted By w12x40:

Thanks. We already make and grill 100% grass-fed nitrate-free hotdogs from primal cuts in natural US sourced casings. We sell packs and grill at the markets. I guess maybe I need a sattelite office in NYC.

I hate hot dogs with a passion and I'd rather eat a wurst of some sort. My kids love them, so I'd be ecstatic to find a real hotdog like that to feed them.

ETA - do you have an online store? IM me if you do.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 12:57:42 PM EDT
Peppered salami

I eat the Columbus brand all the time - stuff is like crack

Aged a full eight weeks, this country-style salame is mildly spiced, laced with wine and hand-rolled in freshly cracked peppercorns.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 12:58:06 PM EDT
It's a very woody word. Sausage. Sausage.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 10:33:38 AM EDT

It's not in the least bit tinny.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 10:35:10 AM EDT

It's not in the least bit tinny.

Link Posted: 3/20/2013 10:53:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/20/2013 11:00:29 AM EDT by TrickyVic]
Kielbasa FTMFW!

Sweat sliced onions and bell peppers until tender (the wife unit only likes the milder red, yellow, orange ones). Start the peppers first because they will need more time to get tender. Only cook until onions are translucent. Do not over cook! I use half and half good olive oil and butter to sweat the veggies.
Boil kielbasa, and then slice it into thin "coins". The wife unit likes small bites so I slice the kielbasa length wise first and wind up with "half moons"
Mix cooked onions, peppers, and kielbasa. A six pack of peppers from Sam's or Costco with two rings of kielbasa is about right.
Take a nice fresh crusty kaiser roll (poppy seed ones are the best) and only cut it about one third of the way around the circumference, and then into the interior to make a "pocket" of the interior of the roll.
Squirt into the pocket a little yellow French's mustard, then a large spoonful of meat and veggie mix, a little more mustard, more meat mix. Rinse and repeat until roll is well stuffed.
Enjoy!

This is a sloppy sandwich so have plenty of napkins available.

You can thank me later.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 11:39:34 AM EDT
I smell hippies. CSA
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 3:19:37 PM EDT
Originally Posted By lowcountry:
I smell hippies. CSA

I smell money.
Top Top