Link Posted: 5/25/2012 3:31:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/25/2012 4:26:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hank] [#5]
Link Posted: 5/25/2012 4:41:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Hank:
Straight from the horse's mouth-

I have no idea what is being said - it's a simple 4 week cycle (if you train 4 days/week).

-Jim Wendler

ETA: That MFer is fast!

Thanks for getting us set straight!
Link Posted: 5/25/2012 6:07:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By GUNGUY148:
Straight from the horse's mouth-

I have no idea what is being said - it's a simple 4 week cycle (if you train 4 days/week).

-Jim Wendler

ETA: That MFer is fast!

Thanks for getting us set straight!

+1  

Thanks Hank!
Link Posted: 5/25/2012 7:32:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for emailing him Hank, that had me confused also.

Did squats today, and only had enough time to do 3 sets of assistance exercises, but that's OK because I surpassed my main lift goals for today.  Didn't have time to do any conditioning, so will get that in tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/25/2012 8:08:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I asked other EFS guys about this...

and they have treated 531 as an 8wk cycle (2 rounds before weights were increased).  The second cycle through, try to beat your reps from the previous week.

Why?...

When you get to the high weights, where you're not making huge gains (newbie gains are all used up), adding an additional rep, is a way to improve without being able to increase the weight.  It's not always realistic to increase your lift each cycle.

As far as staggering the rep schemes of each lift?  THAT just makes bloody sense, considering trying to demolish the 1's week DOES take a huge f'n toll. regardless of whether i tried 531 or 351.

Link Posted: 5/25/2012 11:44:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I fucking killed those squats tonight.  I put on 10lbs more than my 1 set for this cycle and hit it for 3.  The knee sleeves are different and I'm going to have to get used to them.  I feel like I have to actually think harder to push my knees out.  I also get a little bit of spring from them, I'm sure not like a suit but those things want to be stiff and straight.  

My happy place is a squat rack with "Mother" by Danzig playing so loud my ears start to bleed.
Link Posted: 5/26/2012 8:36:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Good job!
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 1:13:00 PM EDT
[#12]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4fhHvgL2OQ

Results of my last two mock meets. Day 1 460 squat was a 5 pound PR, bench was a 5 pound PR and gym total was a PR. Day 3 my only PR was bench, another 5 pounds and finally an all time PR. My bench has actually been making steady progress lately. Deadlift is pretty much at a standstill. If I step back from myself a minute I think making steady progress on 2 out of 3 lifts isn't bad, but dammit I want to pull 5 plates!
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 5:09:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice lifts!

I am very jealous of your squat!
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 11:54:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Nicely done.  Good lifts!
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 10:51:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Huge strength Kasab... I swear, you have 500+ deadlift strength as you are now... The problem is your technique. The fact that you're essentially goodmorning-ing that squat up... eesh.

reshifted my program weeks so i'm not maxing all lifts in one week as argued above.

OHP1's

185x5

(for fun went heavier to see how my diet is messing with my strength)

205x2, failed 3rd

225x0

all superset with pullups.

Accessory

seated ohp with bands 115+monster minis 8,6,6

DB front/side raises

OH rope extend/curl supersets

Any technique suggestions boys?

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 11:13:03 AM EDT
[#16]
So my ankle still hurts and I don't think doing squats and deads would be a good idea. Think it would be worth it to do a shit ton of leg curls and core work till its all better?
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 11:20:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 11:21:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 3:07:33 PM EDT
[#19]
I concur with Hank.  I think leg curls will put way more strain on your ankle.  Wrap your ankle up, squat light and see what happens.  If you can't go heavy, do some volume.  If you can't squat at all then I would jut rest and let it heal.

I've started adding in some rotator cuff work with every workout, on pressing days I try to hit them pretty hard.  I would say that 90% of the discomfort I was getting in my left shoulder is gone.  Face Pulls, lateral pulls with the arm tucked against my body (both pulling in to my body and pulling away).
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 5:12:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks guys....I will go light and see what happens. I have done some body weight squats today and I think it may be ok for some light work, running is out though.
I really didn't think it was that big a deal when I stumbled over that boulder but now its telling on me.

I have only been "active" for just over 4 years now...no sports or lifting in high school outside of gym class. Little tweaks like these that once would have just got on my nerves now piss me right off. Part of me wants to just push through it but I know better than that.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 6:48:59 PM EDT
[#21]
As I've started to become an old man, I find there's a fine balance between pushing through and resting.  I played about 20 games of pool volleyball yesterday.  Parts of my body ached, but I had a great shoulder workout today.  Hurt is different than ache.  However, the long-term is the goal.  That said, if you can do curls and they don't hurt your ankle, then go for it if you're just itching to get into the gym.  Leg curls are to legs, what masturbation is to sex.  

My philosophy would be either squat or let it heal.  Feel free to do what you'd like though.  I'm not saying my way is the right way or even that intelligent.  It's just what I would do.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 6:58:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Beatin off ain't so bad

In fact sense the GF has gotten "comfortable"and put on ~50#s its became quite regular
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 9:15:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Beatin off ain't so bad

In fact sense the GF has gotten "comfortable"and put on ~50#s its became quite regular

Crossfit?  Chicks love that.  

Girlfriend and comfortable?  That's what anal is for...make them uncomfortable.  That pussy snaps wide open when you start asking for anal.
Link Posted: 5/29/2012 8:02:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Thanks guys! Darktide, what would you suggest to fix it? Something you said in this thread got me thinking. Just because you lock up your knees and hips to stop the descent doesn't garuantee that the bar will stop descending. Thats why I have been slowing down my descent and it seems to be better for me.
Link Posted: 5/29/2012 9:34:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: darktide] [#25]
Kasab:
Seems like you hit the hole, then bend forward...  I'd work on box squats for a while, while working your ass off to stay upright. Mental/coaches cue: "CHEST UP!"    Next time you deadlift heavy, Take a front and side video, and I'll see what myself and a few others think about form/biomechanics for ya.
Hank––> Thanks for calling me out on leaning back. I rechecked my form, and I don't think I've EVER pushed my head through when I OHP heavy... I'm pretty sure that is allowing the weight to travel forward, and i'm losing it...  Thanks =)
Squats 3's

Have a Vickers pistol class this weekend, and am trying to stay mostly fresh for it, so I'm doing minimal reps this week.

365x3 <~~ was supposed to do 330 apparently?...  Balls slow out of the hole, not heavy, but SLOW. I'm feeling my diet when I squat... not to mention, I'm not wearing briefs when I squat anymore... I'm so used to equipped squats, which has made me pretty weak overall out of the hole when i'm raw...
Accessory

Box squats, narrow stance for working on explosive out of the hole action. 3s10r

Hang leg raise

Band abs/obliqes

Link Posted: 5/29/2012 11:25:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/31/2012 9:46:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RatherBeLifting] [#27]
Good day deadlifting yesterday.  I kept loading after my "final" set and  going up on deads to see where I topped out.  I need to work on my grip.  I could have had 400 if I had straps.  I was lifting it, but I my hands and fingers just started uncurling.  I've been running the Apex Predator diet just for fun.  I've noticed that my overall strength doesn't seem to taper off, but my working capital does.  I struggled to do 5x10 squats at 200.  I did them, but I was grinding through the last three sets.

Did some of those monkey pullups where you leap from one bar to the next.  I kind of like those.
Link Posted: 5/31/2012 11:34:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/31/2012 11:50:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Y'all need to try some straps...I know a lot of guys talk shit about them as they wrap there knees, wrist, belt up, suit up, etc. If your grip isn't tired from rows and pullups you need to be doing more of them and that kills DL grip strength.  I usually strap up in the mid 3s...about the time I put on the belt. Also no chalk for me so YMMV.

Rbl, that apex diet....are you losing weight it recomping and hows it going?

Sorry if I seem rather rash tonight
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 12:00:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 9:38:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Y'all need to try some straps...I know a lot of guys talk shit about them as they wrap there knees, wrist, belt up, suit up, etc. If your grip isn't tired from rows and pullups you need to be doing more of them and that kills DL grip strength.  I usually strap up in the mid 3s...about the time I put on the belt. Also no chalk for me so YMMV.

I don't have any hatred for straps.  I try to use them sparingly, but I should've had them for that final set.  I didn't have straps or chalk with me, I don't like putting chalk in my carry-on bag and I just plain forgot to pack my straps.  My view is to chalk up so my grip gets stronger, but then if you're going to deadlift, row, etc, straps help you get those last few sets or reps they are fine with me.  I dislike belts more than straps.  

I'll let you know on my weight loss Sunday when I go to my home gym and weigh myself.  Visually, it appears as if I'm losing weight and I like the direction I'm moving.  I look great in the morning when I first wake up.    I'm not trying to get "paper thin and shredded bro", just get a few pounds off so I look good in all the pictures when my daughter starts swim lessons in 4 weeks.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 10:32:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By RatherBeLifting:

I don't have any hatred for straps.  I try to use them sparingly, but I should've had them for that final set.  I didn't have straps or chalk with me, I don't like putting chalk in my carry-on bag and I just plain forgot to pack my straps.  My view is to chalk up so my grip gets stronger, but then if you're going to deadlift, row, etc, straps help you get those last few sets or reps they are fine with me.  I dislike belts more than straps.  

I'll let you know on my weight loss Sunday when I go to my home gym and weigh myself.  Visually, it appears as if I'm losing weight and I like the direction I'm moving.  I look great in the morning when I first wake up.    I'm not trying to get "paper thin and shredded bro", just get a few pounds off so I look good in all the pictures when my daughter starts swim lessons in 4 weeks.  

Sounds good.....I may try something like that soon. My weight has stayed right around 200 but its still a bit flabby for me.
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 1:27:01 PM EDT
[#33]
That's kind of where I was at 210.  5/3/1 and P/P have helped me put some nice muscle.  I'm just doing this for vanity and as an experiment.  Anybody that references Duchaine in their diet is crazy enough for me.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 8:38:37 PM EDT
[#34]
480x5 on 555 Deadlift day today.  Running 3/5/1 so just required reps on the 5 days.  Plus I felt weak after having 2 pints of imperial stout at lunch.
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 9:12:46 PM EDT
[#35]
I ejected....I guess I will have more gym time now
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 9:46:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 1:57:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Oh snap!

I guess so, eh? Not that I want to, but if I ejected at this point I would either have more gym time or no gym time because I'd be working at least one more job to pay child support.

I'm already doing that...even tho I have primary custody of my 7 year old. Nothing with the gf though
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 11:23:01 AM EDT
[#38]
I ejected....I guess I will have more gym time now

High five?

I ejected a couple of weeks ago from my gf.  5/3/1 > wimminz
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 2:25:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 2:44:25 PM EDT
[#40]
http://i.qkme.me/35soma.jpg

hahaha awesome!
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 3:15:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 4:18:21 PM EDT
[#42]
http://i.qkme.me/35soma.jpg

Hell yeah!
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 9:14:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: darktide] [#43]
Good on you gunguy... you had good reasons.
––-
So... the last 2 days I've been at a Vickers handgun class... I'm 'good'(not great) at shooting, but not 'Vickers' good...  He demands a level of accuracy that no other instructor I've met does... I learned a LOT about trigger control, accuracy, etc. I even managed a hit on a steel popper at 100m with my stock G19. About a quarter of the class (and LAV) were running red dots on glock 17's... One guy even rang the popper at 135m with one... RMR's are interesting, and I found them VERY fast to pick up targets with, but man the 'wobble zone' is huge with them... It would be something that would take some time to get used to...
Take home points:

40cal is a "fucking joke on the gun community."

S&W M&P's "suck cock"

If you're shooting a Double action/single action "You just fucked up."
––––-

Back to lifting tomorrow...
BTW, Hank... another conversation about dickweeds like me that don't push their head through the OHP

http://asp.elitefts.net/qa/default.asp?qid=169444&tid=

Link Posted: 6/3/2012 10:10:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Sounds like a great class....I need to attend one myself sometime. That's cool smacking targets at that range!

The ex GFs brother had a Burris fastfire on an xd 45....I couldn't stand it and he hated it even worse....it was very odd and unnatural feeling. We put ~500 rounds through it and the irons went back on.

Im not a 40cal fan either but I do like s/a d/a handguns .....what's the hate for them about?
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 1:52:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Im not a 40cal fan either but I do like s/a d/a handguns .....what's the hate for them about?

I'm curious about the logic behind that as well.

Gun, to answer your earlier question, I'm down 6lbs over the last two weeks.  I reckon I was pretty close to 100% compliant this last week as I didn't have clients to take out to dinner.  My "rampage" on Friday was pretty fantastic.  fried fish, shark steaks, poached trout and all the jalapeno hush puppies I could cram in my mouth between beers.

Yesterday was bench day, nothing earth shattering to report.  I got 6 reps on the final set.  That's not incredible though as I calculated my bench 1RM low.  I did that intentionally because I hate asking for a spot and I'm deathly afraid of cutting myself in half if I fail on the bench. I look at it more like a rep max as I try to get the same number of reps as the weight gets heavier.  Did 30 (3 sets of 10) pullups at bodyweight and then added weight working up to 2 sets of 3 at 45lbs added.

Link Posted: 6/3/2012 2:12:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: darktide] [#46]
First of all... I want some fucking jalepeno hush puppies...

===

LAV's logic as I remember on DA/SA:

DA/SA guns were made to bridge the gap between a mechanical safety (thumb style) and no safety (like a revolver), with the long heavy pull of the DA to serve as a safety. The inertia of the style is largely based on military adoption of the beretta. and will likely fade away into obscurity once they switch.

This gives you two, separate trigger pulls, and is at least twice as difficult to be accurate with, because you have to master two trigger pulls, not to mention the strange reset after the DA shot. Not to mention that with current handgun technology, there is no reason to use a DA (unless you're military/LEO and have no choice)...

He was VERY adamant about students ditching their DA guns... (and a LONG rant on the compact glock 40, and how it is literally one of the worst guns to shoot in existence... and then 40's shittiness in general...)

Link Posted: 6/3/2012 4:20:36 PM EDT
[#47]

I'm curious about the logic behind that as well.

Gun, to answer your earlier question, I'm down 6lbs over the last two weeks.  I reckon I was pretty close to 100% compliant this last week as I didn't have clients to take out to dinner.  My "rampage" on Friday was pretty fantastic.  fried fish, shark steaks, poached trout and all the jalapeno hush puppies I could cram in my mouth between beers.

Yesterday was bench day, nothing earth shattering to report.  I got 6 reps on the final set.  That's not incredible though as I calculated my bench 1RM low.  I did that intentionally because I hate asking for a spot and I'm deathly afraid of cutting myself in half if I fail on the bench. I look at it more like a rep max as I try to get the same number of reps as the weight gets heavier.  Did 30 (3 sets of 10) pullups at bodyweight and then added weight working up to 2 sets of 3 at 45lbs added.

Down 6#s and keeping decent strength is hellagood....I think I'm going to join y'all on the low carb cutting.  I gotta trim up a little more now and get back in the market. No bro six pack for me ....just get rid of the padding.
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 4:27:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By darktide:
First of all... I want some fucking jalepeno hush puppies...
===

LAV's logic as I remember on DA/SA:

DA/SA guns were made to bridge the gap between a mechanical safety (thumb style) and no safety (like a revolver), with the long heavy pull of the DA to serve as a safety. The inertia of the style is largely based on military adoption of the beretta. and will likely fade away into obscurity once they switch.

This gives you two, separate trigger pulls, and is at least twice as difficult to be accurate with, because you have to master two trigger pulls, not to mention the strange reset after the DA shot. Not to mention that with current handgun technology, there is no reason to use a DA (unless you're military/LEO and have no choice)...

He was VERY adamant about students ditching their DA guns... (and a LONG rant on the compact glock 40, and how it is literally one of the worst guns to shoot in existence... and then 40's shittiness in general...)

I can see the logic behind that. I am a beretta fan my self for my full-size gun but I never carry it so I doubt that I have fired more than a couple shots from it in D/A mode. My EDC is an lc9 that is D/A only....I enjoy the long trigger travel on it as it make me feel a bit better about it pointing at my ass chambered with the earth off.
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 4:35:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GUNGUY148] [#49]
The is supposed to say with the safety off but auto correct got me again and I can't get in there to edit it with this pos phone(to many quotes)

Anywho...back to pistols. I can't stand the way a Glock feels in my hand and about 90% of my shooting is done with cast lead reloads. I have heard that's a recipe for a kaboom.

I would take a Glock over a 1911 any day although some of my best groups have been out of them.

Link Posted: 6/3/2012 7:00:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By darktide:
Good on you gunguy... you had good reasons.

––-

So... the last 2 days I've been at a Vickers handgun class... I'm 'good'(not great) at shooting, but not 'Vickers' good...  He demands a level of accuracy that no other instructor I've met does... I learned a LOT about trigger control, accuracy, etc. I even managed a hit on a steel popper at 100m with my stock G19. About a quarter of the class (and LAV) were running red dots on glock 17's... One guy even rang the popper at 135m with one... RMR's are interesting, and I found them VERY fast to pick up targets with, but man the 'wobble zone' is huge with them... It would be something that would take some time to get used to...

Take home points:
40cal is a "fucking joke on the gun community."
S&W M&P's "suck cock"
If you're shooting a Double action/single action "You just fucked up."

––––-
Back to lifting tomorrow...

BTW, Hank... another conversation about dickweeds like me that don't push their head through the OHP

http://asp.elitefts.net/qa/default.asp?qid=169444&tid=

Awesome.  LAV has done some classes in a small town here in the WA, just need to have the forethought to put together some scratch for tuition and ammo.

What's up with the M&P?  Guys running the platform have problems?

As for me staying NOV, not much to report.  Completed "3" week yesterday.  Kept the week at the recommended reps so I guess I don't get to move up to a new level of awesome just yet.    Think I might give one of the powerlifting templates a go next cycle, supersets here we come.
Page / 769
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top