Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2006 10:21:31 AM EDT
Driving on the Interstate, passing an on-ramp. Woman trying to enter. Traffic in left lane, so i slowed a bit to let her pass me. She doesn't speed up. I signal her to get in front of me and I get the finger in return.

Screw it. I just held course and speed.

I tried.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 10:25:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Sometimes people just suck
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 10:26:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm absolutely convinced that if there was REAL driver training and that EVERYONE was required to do a re-test every 5 years or so, 25 to 50 percent of the current drivers couldn't make the cut.

The level of abject stupidity that I see on the roads is mind-boggling.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 10:29:10 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm absolutely convinced that if there was REAL driver training and that EVERYONE was required to do a re-test every 5 years or so, 25 to 50 percent of the current drivers couldn't make the cut.

No shit.

OTOH, 90% of the drivers out there wouldn't even try and let the woman merge. Maybe she thought it was a trap. Who knows what goes through the minds of 97.6 of the human race.

Offer me a break like that and I'd have the Taco standing on it's tail in full afterburners!
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 10:36:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm convinced. You just can't do something nice for some people.

Link Posted: 10/28/2006 10:49:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Amen.  That's one of the reasons I love flying - orders of magnitude less idiots in the sky, and everyone is much more polite.  

Of course, the nanny-staters would ban that in a nanosecond, given half a chance.....
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 10:56:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
... I love flying - orders of magnitude less idiots in the sky, and everyone is much more polite......

You haven't met me yet  
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 11:00:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
... I love flying - orders of magnitude less idiots in the sky, and everyone is much more polite......

You haven't met me yet  

Or the girl who tries to run you over.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 11:40:30 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You haven't met me yet  

I fly a tad bit lower than you.......

If you are ever in this area, look me up and I'll take you for a ride in a real plane, not some shiny jet powered multi engine pressurized POS.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 12:08:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
[
If you are ever in this area, look me up and I'll take you for a ride in a real plane, not some shiny jet powered multi engine pressurized POS.

Beaver?

My favoritistestestest airplane in the whole world!
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 12:13:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
[

Beaver?

My favoritistestestest airplane in the whole world!

Close!  

Cessna 172.  I like the Piper PA-28s better though.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 12:17:12 PM EDT
[#11]
What's got my panties in a bunch is that in Texas, it is common for some yahoo to be in the left lane as they approach an intersection. Then, all of a sudden, they make a hard right across two lanes of traffic to turn right at the quickly approaching intersection. I have seen this right before my eyes about 10 times in the past month.

I really think that anyone who can fog a mirror in this country can get (and unfortunately keep) a driver's license. We need to go to the German model where you have to take a long course and then pay about $2,000 to get your driver's license.  Of course, in Germany, they have roads with no speed limits. Think about it.

BAN LOW PERFORMANCE DRIVERS, NOT HIGH PERFORMANCE CARS!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 12:17:13 PM EDT
[#12]
If I'm ever on Colorado, I'll look you up for a ride!
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 1:45:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If I'm ever on Colorado, I'll look you up for a ride!

Do that.  I'll throw in a bottle of good Irish afterward.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 1:57:12 PM EDT
[#14]
We need training for drivers in a bad way!
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 1:57:55 PM EDT
[#15]
not as bad as when I let a little lady in with her 87 toyota in and she slammed on the breaks because a police car had pulled someone over.

nearly creamed the little POS with my truck
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 2:02:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I've seen people do any number of incredibly stupid things while driving. Reading a book or magazine, shaving, putting on make-up, smoking joints, masturbating (seen this twice, and both times the driver was totally nude), and even playing the fucking trombone while steering with the knees.

Stupidity on such gross levels should allow the driver to be pulled over and shot.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 2:07:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah I hear ya Pic... Simple rules to driving really... getting on the freeway SPEED UP... How hard is that?
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 2:09:05 PM EDT
[#18]
What kills me is when I'm following a car on the on-ramp to the interstate and they are only doing about 45 to begin with and then slam on their breaks before merging because there is too much traffic!!!!  I'm usually accelerating at that point so there is a huge speed difference between me and the car right in front of me.  It's gotten to the point where I say "screw them", cross the double line and merge early forcing them to merge behind me at 35mph.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 2:11:29 PM EDT
[#19]
If you do not know how to merge into interstate traffic,    and do not apply that
information,   you should not be driving...at least, not on the interstates.

The answer is the same as everywhere else....merge at its own speed.

If this requires you to bury the accelerator and look at the on-ramp as a launching ramp,
and you do it,  then you passed.   If you wimp out,  take the damned bus!

Safest driving is when your car's speed RELATIVE to the other cars is minimal.   If they're
hauling ass,  YOU haul ass.     Simple.  

CJ
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 2:13:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Driving on the Interstate, passing an on-ramp. Woman trying to enter. Traffic in left lane, so i slowed a bit to let her pass me. She doesn't speed up. I signal her to get in front of me and I get the finger in return.

Screw it. I just held course and speed.

I tried.

what you have here is you being nice in spite of the fact someone does not want you to.  See you were letting them in when they wanted you to get past and then they would pull in behind you.  maybe their car was acting up or they didn’t want to drive as fast as you or bother you by making you break.  So they were working their plan of getting on the freeway and you muddled it up and then did something like flash your lights or signal at them and they were already mad so they responded back.  When I see someone getting on I get over in the fast lane or speed up to pass.  The only time I break for them is if it’s obvious I am going to hit them and they really don’t see me.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 2:17:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Once had a guy run a red light and almost take off the front end of my car.  To top that off, he shot me the bird as he was going by!  What an asshat!

Link Posted: 10/28/2006 2:19:30 PM EDT
[#22]
You cant fix stuoid. Dont worry about it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 4:35:04 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
You cant fix stuoid. Dont worry about it.

Yes you can.

*begins loading magazines*
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 4:41:33 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Probably about 30%.  Maybe more.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:31:34 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
If you do not know how to merge into interstate traffic,    and do not apply that
information,   you should not be driving...at least, not on the interstates.

The answer is the same as everywhere else....merge at its own speed.

If this requires you to bury the accelerator and look at the on-ramp as a launching ramp,
and you do it,  then you passed.   If you wimp out,  take the damned bus!

Safest driving is when your car's speed RELATIVE to the other cars is minimal.   If they're
hauling ass,  YOU haul ass.     Simple.  

CJ

Holy shit, those are almost the exact words I mutter to myself every day on the way to work.  Amen!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top