Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 35
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BASE:
Maybe I missed it but are you putting in one of those aftermarket air conditioners? I just noticed you made all the holes in the firewall go away.
View Quote

I'll put an electric heater inside somewhere; either under the dash or seat.  Not really planning on running this in the winter.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 11:58:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 12:03:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Well....it runs.  Fuck me this thing has a huge cam in it - it's making life difficult.  Especially since I can't find my damn timing light.

Guess I should put coolant in it now
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 12:26:48 PM EDT
[#4]
You have gotten a lot done in a short time. I have a 1980 K5 Blazer I am starting to restore and looking at this thread reminds me of the amount of money I am about to drop into it.

I bought another body to replace the damaged rear quarter panel. I also plan on checking the frame for any tweaks or cracks. Thinking about a 9 inch suspension lift.

If you are having issues finding parts, try classic industries.com I got a catalog from them and they have original and after market parts for Chevy
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 12:42:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By wolfdentd:
You have gotten a lot done in a short time. I have a 1980 K5 Blazer I am starting to restore and looking at this thread reminds me of the amount of money I am about to drop into it.

I bought another body to replace the damaged rear quarter panel. I also plan on checking the frame for any tweaks or cracks. Thinking about a 9 inch suspension lift.

If you are having issues finding parts, try classic industries.com I got a catalog from them and they have original and after market parts for Chevy
View Quote

I get most of my stuff from LMC.  Jegs and summit both have a ton of restoration parts too.

Post pics of your K5.  I had a 90 and loved it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 1:45:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Into_the_Void:

I get most of my stuff from LMC.  Jegs and summit both have a ton of restoration parts too.

View Quote
Jegs and Summit are good to go but there are way better suppliers and usually with better parts than LMC.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 2:02:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Thealien:
Jegs and Summit are good to go but there are way better suppliers and usually with better parts than LMC.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Such as?
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 2:41:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Such as?
View All Quotes

Such as?

Had good luck with Ecklers Automotive for front lenses.  FWIW there is a difference in right and left lenses.  I didn't know this until the body shop pointed out I had the same style on both sides and that contributed to the lousy fit on one side.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 3:11:53 PM EDT
[#9]
good luck on your build, i have 3, a 72 2wd, a 72 4x4 blazer, and in the middle of building a 71 k20.  And do check out the truck board, its amazing how many memebers i have seen from there in this thread.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 3:51:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Cjpony parts is another place for parts as well.. Getting ready to pull the bed off our 68 to start cleaning it up replace some things..
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 4:01:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rhinodog] [#11]
Whole front clip is gone.  Time to tear into the engine.  Pretty sure the oil leak is the typical oops on a 4 piece pan gasket where it hits the timing cover.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/220444/20220204_162931_HDR_jpg-2267513.JPG

Also confused why the balancer bolt won't go in

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/220444/IMG_20220204_163748_01_jpg-2267514.JPG
View Quote

Reverse threads?

ETA: Disregard. Looks like you got it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 4:24:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 6:20:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Thealien] [#13]

Such as?
View All Quotes

Such as?
Earlier in this thread I had mentioned a Chevy truck forum that is a great resource. There's a few vendors there that are highly recommended. One of the ones I have used is GMC Paul's. I'm not a big fan of their website and they only do online ordering and emails. There is no way to contact them by phone. I have been buying parts from him for about 12 years. He will not continue to carry parts that have issues. He no longer carries 1967 1968 hoods as they have lots of oil canning problems. He also doesn't carry the aftermarket 1972 door panels as they have fitment issues. There's a couple of other vendors recommended on that site but I don't have the information on the top of my head.

another great supplier is  https://www.classicheartbeat.com/

I have also purchased a lot of NOS PARTS from just members of the Forum. I found  NOS bedsides, drivers door, tailgate, rockers, and Grill for my 1972 two wheel drive Blazer with QA1 full coil over suspension. LS3/4L70 with 13 and 14 inch willwood 2 piece rotors. But I have been unable to find NOS I have been able to find good used OEM which usually fits better than any of the reproduction crap.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 12:10:02 PM EDT
[#14]
bump for video
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 3:47:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Sounds good, revs out quick, and no lag. May even need more carb lol.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 4:46:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By sonofbp:
Sounds good, revs out quick, and no lag. May even need more carb lol.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/hellyeah-175.jpg
View Quote

Yeah.....I was thinking the same.  Apparently mystery heads really are mystery heads
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 10:12:56 PM EDT
[#17]

Yeah.....I was thinking the same.  Apparently mystery heads really are mystery heads
View Quote

Whats on it now? a 650cfm?
You could snag the cheaper 750cfm with the manual choke and steal the electric choke off what you have now or maybe even just bump up to the next hole on the accelerator pump for a bit more juice when you stab the skinny pedal.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 12:26:39 AM EDT
[#18]
I should have spotted this thread long ago!  Gotta chime in to say HELLZ YEAH.

I drive a '73 C10.  Bought her from an old-skool East LA low_rider dude, so she's dropped 4.5/6.  

I had the steering gear frame cracking problem too.  PO kinda half fixed but it was really rotted out.  We welded in a modified plate I think I got from LMC Trucks.  ALERT:  While you are doing this, inspect the rear frame, especially the shock mounting points.  They are another place I found serious cracking we had to weld in reinforcement.  And, if you are dropping the rear, consider drop shackles for your shocks to keep their angle near the same, rather than just shorter shocks.

Looks like you have a 350 SBC.  What are the headers you installed?  I gotta re-do the exhaust anyway, before another muffler falls off, so tell me how great your ceramic-coated long-tubes are.  Convince me.  

Too bad your pictures are so hard to make out...so much chrome everywhere... ;-)

BRetty
https://www.gmsquarebody.com/members/bretty.22182/
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 3:15:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By BRetty:
I should have spotted this thread long ago!  Gotta chime in to say HELLZ YEAH.

I drive a '73 C10.  Bought her from an old-skool East LA low_rider dude, so she's dropped 4.5/6.  

I had the steering gear frame cracking problem too.  PO kinda half fixed but it was really rotted out.  We welded in a modified plate I think I got from LMC Trucks.  ALERT:  While you are doing this, inspect the rear frame, especially the shock mounting points.  They are another place I found serious cracking we had to weld in reinforcement.  And, if you are dropping the rear, consider drop shackles for your shocks to keep their angle near the same, rather than just shorter shocks.

Looks like you have a 350 SBC.  What are the headers you installed?  I gotta re-do the exhaust anyway, before another muffler falls off, so tell me how great your ceramic-coated long-tubes are.  Convince me.  

Too bad your pictures are so hard to make out...so much chrome everywhere... ;-)

BRetty
https://www.gmsquarebody.com/members/bretty.22182/
View Quote

I got flowtech ceramics and they fit fucking perfectly.  The old black jacks touched the control arm rod ends
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 12:02:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 8:13:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Into_the_Void] [#21]
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 8:14:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Today in shit that makes me want to disembowel myself with a spoon...

"I need a 1/2-20 wheel stud with a 535 knurl"
- I don't know what that means
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 9:05:50 PM EDT
[#23]
For wheel studs: I found the catalog online and got the part number and ordered the stupid things from Rock Auto (I think). I didn't bother trying. I miss the old guy with the shelves full of huge paper books. He could find shit.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:36:59 PM EDT
[#24]
For wheel studs: I found the catalog online and got the part number and ordered the stupid things from Rock Auto (I think). I didn't bother trying. I miss the old guy with the shelves full of huge paper books. He could find shit.
View Quote

fuck'n truth
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 12:50:41 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

We still have two local shops like that, but they have ridiculous hours.  Who the fuck closes at 3pm?
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 5:35:03 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm procrastinating like crazy plumbing the front brake lines.  I have no idea why because it's the last step before buttoning up the front end
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 1:02:38 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm procrastinating like crazy plumbing the front brake lines.  I have no idea why because it's the last step before buttoning up the front end
View Quote

If you're like me you'll button up the front end, move onto something else, and the realize you forgot something in the front. Repetition is the best way to get good at wrenching though.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 4:10:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By ToyCop:

If you're like me you'll button up the front end, move onto something else, and the realize you forgot something in the front. Repetition is the best way to get good at wrenching though.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ToyCop:

I'm trying to avoid that lol
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 7:31:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Oh my god I forgot how easy nickel copper lines are to work with.  My last couple brake line jobs have been all stainless which is a nightmare to use.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 9:27:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 7:20:47 PM EDT
[#31]
This thing has done nothing but kick my ass for two days straight.  All I'm trying to do is get the brand new drivers door lined up....

Lots of beating the shit out of the rocker with a sledge hammer.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 7:30:55 PM EDT
[#32]
That SHOULD have been all taken care of when you welded the rocker in...
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 7:59:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By daveo:
That SHOULD have been all taken care of when you welded the rocker in...
View Quote

I didn't weld that rocker in....

Ii think I know what happened. The original door was so far gone that it didn't touch
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 9:13:48 PM EDT
[#34]

Ii think I know what happened. The original door was so far gone that it didn't touch
View Quote

Grind that bitch off and put another one in it, or beat the fuck out of it and fight it....
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 1:09:44 PM EDT
[#35]

Grind that bitch off and put another one in it, or beat the fuck out of it and fight it....
View All Quotes

I am so close to having it perfect.  

Lots of paint being used.  I paint, then shut, and see where it rubbed off.
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 8:09:31 AM EDT
[#36]
This week was a journey in something tiny turning into a multi day ordeal.

Running an-6 from the pump to carb.  Wrong fitting to go into the pump twice.  Had 1/4 npt, got 3/8 npt, turns out I needed 5/16 standard thread.  Got so pissed off that I just bought a new fuel pump with both ports npt.  I fought like crazy trying to get the bolts started into the block for the new pump.  I just could not compress the lever, keep everything lined up, and start the thread.  Obviously since I was so pissed from the entire ordeal that it took way too long before I realized to just start one side with a long bolt.
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 8:59:36 AM EDT
[#37]

Running an-6 from the pump to carb.  Wrong fitting to go into the pump twice.  Had 1/4 npt, got 3/8 npt, turns out I needed 5/16 standard thread.  Got so pissed off that I just bought a new fuel pump with both ports npt.  I fought like crazy trying to get the bolts started into the block for the new pump.  I just could not compress the lever, keep everything lined up, and start the thread.  Obviously since I was so pissed from the entire ordeal that it took way too long before I realized to just start one side with a long bolt.
View Quote

Lets work on cars! It'll be fun, they said!

I haven't worked on my Chevelle since Thanksgiving. Sometimes it better to walk away for a while.
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 9:19:40 AM EDT
[#38]

I haven't worked on my Chevelle since Thanksgiving. Sometimes it better to walk away for a while.
View All Quotes

Once I verify all my gauges are working today, I'm moving onto the rear.  I hate setting up gears.  The only positive is I tossed the crush sleeve and got a spacer.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 9:49:13 AM EDT
[#39]
One thing after another...

The alternator is constantly putting out 17-18v
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 2:13:44 PM EDT
[#40]
So decided I hate myself and started Bondo this morning... Moved onto the rear and can't find the fucking socket for the pinion nut

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 10:06:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Oh man... Thats alot of mud
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 3:14:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By wpsharpshooter:
Oh man... Thats alot of mud
View Quote

I go heavy
In reality, it's pretty thin.  I spread it cold yesterday and it was stupid thick and difficult to work.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 4:03:25 PM EDT
[#43]

I go heavy
In reality, it's pretty thin.  I spread it cold yesterday and it was stupid thick and difficult to work.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/220444/20220404_151335_HDR_jpg-2337545.JPG
View Quote

Id be careful with laying out that stuff in the cold. Good luck.. I used to like body work... Now... Not so much lol
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 4:16:14 PM EDT
[#44]

Id be careful with laying out that stuff in the cold. Good luck.. I used to like body work... Now... Not so much lol
View All Quotes

I go heavy

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/220444/20220404_151335_HDR_jpg-2337545.JPG

I fucking hate body work with a burning passion.  

I definitely worked frustrated yesterday.  Got really pissed doing the rear and switched to body work, paid zero attention to the temp of the Bondo.  Going much smoother today now that I'm paying attention lol
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 3:25:16 PM EDT
[#45]
So I'm trying to break the u bolt nuts free to get the rear of, so I can rebuild it in comfort.

Tons of PB and a 5ft cheater.... No dice.  Almost knocked it off the jacks.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 5:14:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Torch em
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 5:53:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Torch em
View Quote

No torch at home
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 6:39:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Hard to justify the cost of tanks anymore. I got a cheap plasma, and it sucks. Nothing like the ones I've used at work in the past. I ended up cutting most of my u-bolts off with a cutoff wheel after the cheap plasma pissed me off. I've been going through a lot of cutoff wheels lately.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 6:49:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ch3no2] [#49]
Nice build
Just FYI, those itty bitty old-school air filters is like trying to breathe through a straw.  They do look cool, but you’re giving up a lot.

For a truck (heavy), I’d stick with the carburetor you have.  YRMV
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 6:49:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Milwaukee M18 high torque 1/2" impact is what you seek.
Page / 35
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top