Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/25/2006 12:22:41 PM EDT
I suck with a shotgun. I knew this going into the match, but I figured that I could just whiz on through anyway, after all, how hard is it to use a shotgun at close ranges. Hard enough. Despite my military background, and a lot of shooting, the minimal stress of shooting competitively was enough to make me blank on the Mossberg 500. I could shoot an M4 in my sleep. I could shoot a pistol while half awake. The shotgun made me look like an idiot. I short stroked the action consistently and by the time I ran out of shells I knew that my unpracticed reload would be a disaster. So my reload technique was this: Drop (literally drop, I had no sling) the shotgun (clear and in a safe direction) and draw my trusty old 1911. It worked ok.

This lesson is applicable for home defense. Use the weapon you are most familiar with. Some people who buy a shotgun for home defense and never shoot it will have a rude awakening when a break in occurs and they suddenly can figure out which end of the shell to stuff in the tube.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:25:31 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:39:26 PM EDT
The wife and I both want to try 3gun, we have it marked on the calendar to go watch the next one in April. However, we have the flip roblem. We are both dang good with a shotgun (although reloading is going to be a new skill), ok with a pistol and suck with a rifle.
oh well, that's why you complete
tag for more lessons.

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:49:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By rifleman2000:
I suck with a shotgun. ...

As do I.

I have a simple solution – I stay away from them.

Anything a shotgun can do, an AR can do better (other than maybe shooting flying birds and such)

Granted, in a 3-gun match you’re kinda stuck using one!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:55:51 PM EDT
Try a double barreled breech loader.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:58:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 199:

Originally Posted By rifleman2000:
I suck with a shotgun. ...

As do I.

I have a simple solution – I stay away from them.

Anything a shotgun can do, an AR can do better (other than maybe shooting flying birds and such)

Granted, in a 3-gun match you’re kinda stuck using one!

Absolutely, I agree. But I still want to be proficient with one.

They do still have two advantages over the AR, even if they are limited. One, they can use a variety of ammo. Two, you can use one to breach doors.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:01:19 PM EDT
I found very much the same thing in the first real 3 gun that I ran. I had a Rem 1187 police model and my reloads were shit slow. My shooting was spot on and fine, but I just couldn't seem to get it reloaded fast enough. I also dropped shells on the ground, accidentally got the front sight hooked on a barricade, almost tripped and fell during the shotgun stage, etc. etc.

But, I did so well in rifle and pistol that I still took first place overal in the three gun match....

Chris
(Shot production pistol, limited rifle, limited shotgun. Basically everything was bone stock factory and I still won the whole show even against the dudes with all the tricked pistols, rifles with two scopes, free floated barrels, etc, etc, and shotguns with speed loaders attached. This just proves that its not the toys that get you wins, its the practice and skill)
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:45:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:20:34 PM EDT
1 Get a box of dummy shot shells from brownells.
2 Decide how you want to reload, sidesaddle,armband or shellholders. Are you going to reload strong hand or weakhand?
3 practice over and over again.

fwiw, I use a sidesaddle and armband, just roll the gun over and load with my strong hand right in front of my face. Harder to miss the hole.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:24:58 PM EDT
Top Top