Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2004 6:29:44 AM EDT
I'll have to wait to read this but I thought some of you would find this interesting.

Lessons in Command and Control from the L.A. Riots
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:38:03 AM EDT
[#1]

"Police officers responded to a domestic dispute, accompanied by marines. They had just gone up to the door when two shotgun birdshot rounds were fired through the door, hitting the officers. One yelled `cover me!' to the marines, who then laid down a heavy base of fire. . . . The police officer had not meant `shoot' when he yelled `cover me' to the marines. [He] meant . . . point your weapons and be prepared to respond if necessary. However, the marines responded instantly in the precise way they had been trained, where `cover me' means provide me with cover using firepower. . . . over two hundred bullets [were] fired into that house."[1]

I laughed when I read this because in another thread someone mention how our troops are not ment to be peace keepers. I think this illustrates that rather well.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:43:28 AM EDT
[#2]

One yelled `cover me!' to the marines, who then laid down a heavy base of fire. . . .

I LOL'd instantly when I read that.  

Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:44:49 AM EDT
[#3]
saw that coming.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:45:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I thought they couldn't do this.

Perceiving the CANG deployment to be too slow, the governor requests federal troops.

The President agrees to deploy 4000 federal troops to LA.

Active component Marines from Camp Pendleton, California, begin arriving in the LA area via convoy.

Commander, Joint Task Force-Los Angeles (JTF-LA) arrives in LA area.

Active component soldiers from Ft. Ord, California, begin arriving in the LA area via C-141 aircraft.

The President announces that the CANG will be federalized.

First active component troops deploy on the street; a battalion of Marines replaces 600 CANG soldiers
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:01:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I don't think that suppressing an insurrection/civil disorder is law enforcement. I know that the Posse Comitatus Act forbids use of federal troops for law enforcement except in specified situations. If you can find your state's "riot act," (and maybe the accompanying case law) you'll see that the cops are no longer required to act like cops once the declaration is made - IOW, they are not enforcing criminal law except incidentally.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:15:03 AM EDT
[#6]
That article is good;

This one is better.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:30:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Anybody have any photos of the Korean merchants protecting their stores, or links to articles about them?
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:37:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Anybody have any photos of the Korean merchants protecting their stores, or links to articles about them?

There's at least one photo montage on the web. I think it's by the photographer who took them. If
I can find it in my bookmarks I'll post a link if no one else does.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:41:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Found the bookmark:

www.kang.org/LARiot.html
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:46:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Excellent! Thanks, Bastiat.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:58:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think that suppressing an insurrection/civil disorder is law enforcement. I know that the Posse Comitatus Act forbids use of federal troops for law enforcement except in specified situations. If you can find your state's "riot act," (and maybe the accompanying case law) you'll see that the cops are no longer required to act like cops once the declaration is made - IOW, they are not enforcing criminal law except incidentally.

Thanks for the info. It makes sence but than again it doesn't. The cops are responcable for protecting the community as a whole and not the individual(so says the courts). So any type of disturbance, large or small would be their thing if it effects the community.

I can see calling out the guard to help out but I still don't really see how federalising the guard and bringing in active duty personnel is on the up and up. I'll look into the states riot act and see what it all is about.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:00:34 AM EDT
[#12]
We discussed this in the survival forum recently. One thing worth noting is that sales of firearms and ammunition were suspended in LA (All of CA?) at the onset. That and the stories of Koren shopkeepers pleading for more ammo when they ran low was what caused me to start keeping a reserve of ammo at all times.

Food for thought.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top