Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2017 7:37:25 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:42:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I love my G19.

Pics of wife?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:48:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree with your strategy. The gun you use/carry should be the gun you train with and are best with. 

I fall in the same group as you did, I have spent a year carrying and shooting a G19 and I will never get rid of it. But I like HK and shoot them better. Sold a P320 I had impulse bought.

Need to do more practice and dry fire as well, this practice they call "matches" isn't showing the kind of improvement I want to see.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:23:57 PM EDT
[#3]
SIRT pistol

I really want to get one of these and the LASR software.  Same goes for the bolt insert for my ARs.  Kids are expensive
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:31:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's what I would have done:

Start shooting USPSA sooner.

Also, dry firing is free and nothing is better (since you can do it daily at home) for speeding up draws, transitions and reloads.

No need for a SIRT.  Just use your actual gun.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:35:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love my G19.

Pics of wife?
View Quote
Fpni and all that
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:39:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Truth.

When I was done with college, but living with my parents I had a golden year.

I shot probably 5 days a week. Ammo cost didn't matter, I was working an entry level job, but no real world expenses.

Once I started to achieve other goals in my life, I lost that marksmanship.

22 year old me would shoot circles around 34 year old me.

I need to shoot more.

Excellent post,  OP.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:10:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Also, dry firing is free and nothing is better (since you can do it daily at home) for speeding up draws, transitions and reloads.

View Quote
Truth.

Competition will make you better.

Practice without competition will leave you not knowing how much you don't know.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:13:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Good for OP trying new things to see what works best.

Starting back in the 70s have gone from 357 to 44 to 10mm to 45. All guns were my main carry for a while with the 45 being my main stay for quite a while.

I shoot many other calibers but these were my carry ones. I have been contemplating spending time with 9mm to see if I can speed things up.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:23:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I have spent far more on pistol ammo than on the pistols to shoot it! I shoot pistols at least once a week and shoot a match once a month. That's not a ton but more than average. I'm still not where I want to be. I try really hard to resist impulse gun purchases.... But it did happen this year with a 629.

But yes, Training and ammo dollars go much much further. Much further.

Eta if you are worried about dry firing and safety blade tech makes training barrels for a variety of pistols and even a training bolt for the AR15.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:35:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Buy a .22 with a like weight and size to what you carry, and shoot the shit out of it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:43:14 AM EDT
[#11]
USPSA is great although most of my once a month matches are the only shooting I do that month so I'm not in danger of winning.

I feel you OP.  Kind of hard to do any real dry fire when a 2 year old wants to play and your wife yells that she's trying to watch TV and you need to stop all the noise.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:49:22 AM EDT
[#12]
My two SIG P320s are an obvious debacle and I'm left wondering if I'll get any money out of them.
View Quote
What does this mean?  Like sell guns?    Is that even a thing?  Inconceivable!

Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:07:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It's very easy to miss, even at "only" 5 and 7 yard distances when you're under pressure from the clock and starting from the draw/concealment.
View Quote

Seriously? 5-7 yards & you're MISSING?

Have you let your husband shoot your gun?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:32:03 AM EDT
[#14]
I feel ya, OP.  I'm in the exact same boat with the 320 and Glocks, switching back to G17/G19, and training/ammo v. gear purchases.  Here's what I did this year, my 2017 resolution, if you will.  

I have been taking a series of basically small group/private training classes local to me.  Found a reputable instructor, checked references with arfcom and others, visited extensively with the guy about training methods and philosophy, and bought a "package" of basically 30 hours of training.  I'm about 21 hours into it right now. 

The benefit of buying the series of training classes was that money was committed to that and ammo for it a long time ago, and the urge to look at new gear has been non-existent.  I've spent my gun money/fun money for the year. 

Additionally, it's easy to practice and dry fire.  Each class builds on the last and I know if I don't do the work, I won't get my money's worth out of the next session.  

It has been the best decision I've made regarding shooting and training and has helped me build practice habits I doubt I would have otherwise developed.  Would recommend something like this to anybody that doesn't have friends or training partners to help push you and keep you progressing. 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:42:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:47:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's very easy to miss, even at "only" 5 and 7 yard distances when you're under pressure from the clock and starting from the draw/concealment.

If you're not missing once in a while then you're shooting to slow.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:51:08 AM EDT
[#17]
I rotate between a 1911, beretta m9a1 compact, and a g19. I've never noticed shooting more with one inhibits my shooting with another.

In fact I didn't shoot my g19 for a year recently and when I finally did shoot it I shot it better than ever. Verified by me shooting a scored qual with it.

If I were you I'd try real hard to do a little more dry fire practice. It's free.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:53:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

^

Quoted:
My G19 has never failed me, and I feel now like I was looking (in a new gun) for a solution to a problem I didn't have.
I learned this lesson years ago. One of my first handguns was a G19 probably around 03-04. I ended up selling it because I didn't shoot it well (and I thought it was unreliable... this was before I realized that ammo/mags/other factors could affect reliability). After that I purchased and shot dozens of pistols from dozens of brands; pretty much all of the major brands and popular models and a lot of less-popular ones.

Around 09 or so, a friend offered to take me to a local Glock match. I told him I wasn't interested, but he pressed me and offered to let me borrow one of his Glocks. I went, had a blast, and ended up in the middle of the pack (I'd never competed and didn't shoot much at all around that time).

At that point I learned a few things that changed pretty much my entire way of thinking about defensive guns.

1. Comfort doesn't matter even a fraction as much as people think. A gun's "feel" while fondling it at the shop should be WAY down on the list of pros and cons.

2. Knowing how to shoot takes priority over everything else. Everybody has their preference over materials, controls, sights, etc, but all of that is secondary. If you can shoot, you'll be able to shoot pretty much any gun well, whether it's a DAO, striker, SA, revolver, whatever (yes, you won't be an instant expert with every gun; that's why we train).

3. Commonality can be a great thing and is something to take under consideration. Most major companies offer very similar handgun models in different sizes for different carry methods, which is a good thing if, like me, you aren't able to carry the same gun all the time.

4. There is no magic bullet. Nothing is going to make you a perfect shooter overnight. Becoming a competent shooter is a long series of tiny steps, breakthroughs and "Ah HAH!" moments. That's why someone like Jerry Miculek and a Jennings 380 would wipe the floor with me while I shot a tricked out Taran Tactical John Wick Combat Master whateverthehell Glock.

At one point I had a BUG with a US style mag release and a double action trigger while my primary gun was striker fired with a Euro mag release. Basically, that's like the guy that goes through a car accessory catalog and buys all the shiny stuff without having a plan. You might get lucky and everything works, but it's better to take a step back and find out what your needs are before clicking the Checkout button.

For me it's Glock, but for others they've figured out something else. And that's fine.

even if they're wrong
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:56:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Consider a Cool Fire trainer for your G19 if you are going to get serious about dry fire training. Worth the money. Loving mine.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:24:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:34:46 AM EDT
[#21]
OP, get an Advantage Arms .22 conversion kit and find some .22LR ammo that functions well in it.  I found some Remington Golden Bullet ammo that worked in it and in my customized 10/22, bought 5000 rounds of it ten years ago.  MUCH cheaper than 9mm.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:39:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
OP, get an Advantage Arms .22 conversion kit and find some .22LR ammo that functions well in it.  I found some Remington Golden Bullet ammo that worked in it and in my customized 10/22, bought 5000 rounds of it ten years ago.  MUCH cheaper than 9mm.
View Quote
Another excellent option. I have one, picky as all fuck about ammo, but it runs good with what it likes and is plenty accurate. The Tac Sol version MAY be better in terms of capacity and ammo sensitivity, I dunno, the AA was the only game in town when I got mine. I even bought a dedicated frame for it I liked it so much, great training tool....
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:42:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:45:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I find the use of the term training in private sector circles funny.  People used to say practice or just goin shootin.  Now everything is training but no one knows why??

My theory is tax code.  For people who carry a gun for a living, training expenses are tax deductible, but sport shooting and practice are not.  This of course became the new buzz word.
View Quote
I consider it training if I'm sweaty, bloody, out of breath from shooting from concealment, moving, reloading, doing drills, etc. Why? Self improvement.

Plinking tin cans with my single six is not training.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:47:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I find the use of the term training in private sector circles funny.  People used to say practice or just goin shootin.  Now everything is training but no one knows why??

My theory is tax code.  For people who carry a gun for a living, training expenses are tax deductible, but sport shooting and practice are not.  This of course became the new buzz word.
View Quote
Shooting dirt clods in the pasture while fun, is not training.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:47:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I consider it training if I'm sweaty, bloody, out of breath from shooting from concealment, moving, reloading, doing drills, etc. Why? Self improvement.

Plinking tin cans with my single six is not training.
View Quote
Ayup....
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:56:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I need more ammo money.

I need more training.

I need more practice.
View Quote

And, don't we all?

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:26:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you've never thrown a Mike at 7 yards pushing speed you're not going fast enough.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:53:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
A fast miss is as bad as a slow miss, paraphrasing Bill Jordan.

While I'm by no means Wyatt Earp or Jesse James, I have shot thousands of rds in steel plate, IPSC & 3 Gun matches. Only in the steel plate matches have I drawn against someone. (Not shooting at him/her, of course.)

I have had the honor of shooting against Angus Hobnell (sp?), captain of the CZ shooting team. He complemented me on my draw while watching me against others. Of course he smoked my ass when I went against him.  

Yes, I get the shooting against a 1-1/2" target. But no one mentioned that earlier, I don't believe. I was speaking of the standard B52 target or standard 6" bullseye target.

By the way, it's spelled "too slow", not "to slow".  
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:58:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If you've never thrown a Mike at 7 yards pushing speed you're not going fast enough.
View Quote
Have none of you weekend warriors ever considered that ONE shot MIGHT be all you get?  

Drawing against an armed assailant whom is already brandishing is NO time to be spraying shots all over the GD place, IMO.

Draw quickly (but NOT overfast), point, shoot & HIT your target, gentlemen. It well might save your lives one day.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:04:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Shooting dirt clods in the pasture while fun, is not training.
View Quote
Ironically, this is one of the Matt Burkett recommendations for new shooters to get over recoil anticipation (i.e. flinching).
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:12:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Have none of you weekend warriors ever considered that ONE shot MIGHT be all you get?  

Drawing against an armed assailant whom is already brandishing is NO time to be spraying shots all over the GD place, IMO.

Draw quickly (but NOT overfast), point, shoot & HIT your target, gentlemen. It well might save your lives one day.
View Quote
And that's why you push yourself while training. By going fast enough to miss once in a while when training you learn your limits.

You then tone it back a bit. After a while you speed it back up.

You want to know what's better than being slow and accurate? Fast and accurate.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:53:38 PM EDT
[#33]
This thread is a good thread. OP nailed it. I have been switching between a 1911 and a G19, and when I shoot, it shows.

I prefer the 1911 because 9mm's are for pussies.

but I have a wife and kid, and crowds of fucktards are my main concern so 16>9... but I usually have an AR pistol nearby if out of town.

I will probably move back to the 1911 and get rid of the g19, because of the two; with the limited amounts of time I get to shoot, I shoot the 1911 better.

I do have an M9 that I wanted to shoot matches with, but I can shoot matches with a 1911...so meh. Probably going to end up selling both of them.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:02:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

22 year old me would shoot circles around 34 year old me.

View Quote
Wouldn't that be evidence of poor marksmanship? 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:17:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Why so you could get killed on the streets sooner?    
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:20:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's totally easy to miss at 5-7 yards if you're going wayyyy too fast. See it a hundred times a month at matches. Hell I've drawn and dropped a popper with blazing speed, launched 4 rounds at cardboard and swung over to a disappearing target and drilled the center of the that target and totally missed all 4 shots on the other paper.  Shit happens when that timer beeps.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:24:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Sell your non-G19s

Buy ammo and training
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top