Page / 3
Posted: 3/28/2009 11:51:12 AM EDT
Denver officer charged in S.D.
Woman had previous firearms charges
By Christopher N. Osher
The Denver Post
Posted: 03/28/2009 12:30:00 AM MDT
Updated: 03/28/2009 08:43:58 AM MDT

The Denver police officer charged with three counts of attempted murder for allegedly firing her gun at three law officers in South Dakota remained on the Police Department force despite an earlier history of improper use of a firearm.

Kachina McAlexander, 31, was arrested Tuesday for allegedly firing her gun several times at officers at a motel near Custer, S.D. That state's attorney general, Larry Long, said the officers were checking on her and found her with a gun in her hand.

Two Custer County deputies and a Highway Patrol officer were not hurt. McAlexander was arrested and remained in jail Friday.

She is charged with three counts of attempted second-degree murder and three counts of aggravated assault against a law-enforcement officer. No bond was set pending a mental-health evaluation.

Both Long's office and Custer County officials declined to comment further or to release an incident report.

According to a police affidavit acquired by 9News, McAlexander refused to put her gun down when law officers arrived outside her Super 8 motel room. The police had been called because McAlexander's mother had said she was concerned about her welfare after a phone call.

McAlexander was hit by a Taser and then fired 10 shots at officers who had backed away from the door, the affidavit said. She surrendered and said that "she instinctly returned fire," the affidavit said.

Adams County court records show that on June 6, 2006, authorities charged McAlexander with prohibited use of a weapon, a class 2 misdemeanor, and reckless endangerment, a class 3 misdemeanor, after she shot up her basement walls and television in the basement of her house.

Court testimony said that on that date, McAlexander summoned her girlfriend to her home to pick up her belongings. When the woman showed up, she found a suicide note on the front door, the testimony said.

The woman called the Adams County Sheriff's Department, and when deputies entered the home, they found McAlexander alive but lying down in the basement. They also discovered that McAlexander had fired several shots from a semiautomatic handgun into the walls and the television.

A county-court judge acquitted McAlexander, stating that no reasonable jury would find her actions sufficient for a conviction.

The office of Adams County District Attorney Don Quick appealed the acquittal, but on April 16, 2007, Adams County District Court Judge Chris Melonakis rejected the appeal.

Denver Safety Manager Al LaCabe, who oversees the Police Department, and Deputy Chief John Lamb said they were prohibited from discussing how the department handled the incident. But it is clear that McAlexander remained on the force.

Detective Sharon Avendano, a spokeswoman for the Police Department, said McAlexander has been suspended from the force without pay pending an internal-affairs investigation into the South Dakota situation.

Avendano said McAlexander worked in the department's records unit, in the bureau of research, training and development.

Avendano said that as a sworn officer, McAlexander was authorized to carry a police-issued firearm.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:51:52 AM EDT
[#1]

Sexy
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:53:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I thought the psych evaluation came before the academy.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:55:36 AM EDT
[#3]
A lesbian cop...who would have thought.

And she also had previous firearms violations? Wow...
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:58:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I am ashamed that my SD LEO's didn't put the crazy bitch in a body bag.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:59:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Kachina? You mean one of these ugly dolls? WHat a horrible name.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:02:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Its amazing that she was able to fire 10 shots while being tazered.  Or did the tazering cause reflexive shooting?  

I wish they were more clear on the timing.

Because if she fired while being tazered she gonna walk.

ETA: another question why tazered and not shot.  Under any other circumstances the perp would have been shot and not tazered for failing to put a gun down.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:02:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:02:18 PM EDT
[#8]

what a cluster fuck
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:07:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Obviously we should ban guns from cops.

I'd be skeered around her during "that" time of month, heck, I'd be skeered just looking at her.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:07:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:08:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

And she also had previous firearms violations? Wow...

My thoughts exactly.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:08:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I wonder how many white male applicants were denied employment with the Denver PD  to make room for the double minority (lesbian/female...redundant, I know) Ms. McAlexander?

Got to love "diversity."
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:09:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

She's a protected class in LE.  There are certain "protected classes" that can do no wrong....and usually get promoted just for showing up to work.

But hey, no one said life is fair.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:09:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Whoa!  With that face, lesbian may have been her only choice.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:10:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I wonder how many white male applicants were denied employment with the Denver PD  to make room for the double minority (lesbian/female...redundant, I know) Ms. McAlexander?

Got to love "diversity."

Exactly.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:10:59 PM EDT
[#16]
 Stupid is what stupid does- Forrest Gump
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:11:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Gay, female and possibly a minority (I can't tell what she is), I bet she would have to kill the Pope or something to get fired from a government agency.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:11:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Got to love "diversity."

I was flat out told in one interview years ago that "if you were black or female we'd hire you right now on the spot.  Unfortunately we're gonna have to put you on a waiting list".

I was very seriously considering suing......but it would have gone no where.

Like I said, life's not fair...oh well........................there's always HOPE and CHANGE
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:12:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
what a cluster fuck

QFT.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:13:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Got to love "diversity."

Triple minority.  She doesn't look white.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:14:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got to love "diversity."

Yup, I'd guess this little incident will be grounds for her promotion straight to Captain.  She's "triple" qualified.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:15:00 PM EDT
[#22]
I can't wait for 2037 or whenever whites become the minority...then affirmative action can work for me too!
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:20:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got to love "diversity."

Yep,

She has already had one fuck up and was acquitted, apparently still staying on the force for fear of Federal retribution.

I don't know how PC Custer County is but if it goes bad for South Dakota in court those white male officers could be taking it up the ass in Federal court.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:27:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Passing the psych eval isn't rocket science... trust me.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:34:27 PM EDT
[#25]
How would like to get pulled over by that one?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:37:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:37:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
How would like to get pulled over by that one?

She sounds like a character on Reno 911.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:38:16 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I am ashamed that my SD LEO's didn't put the crazy bitch in a body bag.

Amazing she fired 10 rounds at multiple LEOs from Tazer distance and was not completely ventilated. In most cases just touching the gun would warrant a complete bullet hosedown.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:41:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Kachina McAlexander
Was she born next to a cash register at McDonald's?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:41:59 PM EDT
[#30]
This story reminds me of a saying, "happy as a queer in prison".  She probably wants to go to prison.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:42:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Kachina McAlexander, 31, was arrested Tuesday for allegedly firing her gun several times at officers at a motel near Custer, S.D. That state's attorney general, Larry Long, said the officers were checking on her and found her with a gun in her hand.

Good fucking thing they don't "Check" on me very often around here...

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:44:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

All over the world for at least 20 years now, one of London's mayoral candidates was their Chief of Police (openly gay)

JUDGE OVERTURNS BAN ON GAY POLICE
Published: Wednesday, February 5, 1992

The Dallas Police Department's policy that bars the hiring of homosexuals as police officers has been overturned by a state district judge.

The ruling, a victory for a lesbian who has been trying to join the police force here for the last five years, was issued on Monday by Judge Larry Fuller, who said the state anti-sodomy law on which the policy was based violated the right to privacy guaranteed in the Texas Constitution.

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/02/05/us/judge-overturns-ban-on-gay-police.html?n=Top%2FReference%2FTimes%20Topics%2FSubjects%2FH%2FHiring%20and%20Promotion

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:51:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Jeez, she sounds like a complete nut job.
Definitely has issues.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:58:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Gay, female and possibly a minority (I can't tell what she is), I bet she would have to kill the Pope or something to get fired from a government agency.

WINNER!  If you're a Caucasian male in the Gov. you tread very lightly. If however, you're black, female, gay, lesbian or an otherwise protected class, it takes an act of Congress to get fired... I see it each and every day at work! Caucasians getting suspensions or letters or reprimand for ridiculous stuff while those in the 'protected class' get away with nothing for much worse..... Gotta love the Gov...
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:17:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:22:15 PM EDT
[#37]
In South Dakota, Colorado lesbians shoot at you.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:24:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Whoa!  With that face, lesbian may have been her only choice.

I LOLed at this one........

again another reason why only cops should have guns
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:25:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Instinctly =/= Instinctively.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:29:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

WINNER!  If you're a Caucasian male in the Gov. you tread very lightly. If however, you're black, female, gay, lesbian or an otherwise protected class, it takes an act of Congress to get fired... I see it each and every day at work! Caucasians getting suspensions or letters or reprimand for ridiculous stuff while those in the 'protected class' get away with nothing for much worse..... Gotta love the Gov...

Amen, sad but true
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:33:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Jeez, she sounds like a complete nut job.
Definitely has issues.

She does, she hates the penis

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:34:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Every time I get in gun fights with cops, I get fired. It just isn't fair.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:34:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Every time I get in gun fights with cops, I get fired. It just isn't fair.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:34:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:34:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

All over the world for at least 20 years now, one of London's mayoral candidates was their Chief of Police (openly gay)

JUDGE OVERTURNS BAN ON GAY POLICE
Published: Wednesday, February 5, 1992

The Dallas Police Department's policy that bars the hiring of homosexuals as police officers has been overturned by a state district judge.

The ruling, a victory for a lesbian who has been trying to join the police force here for the last five years, was issued on Monday by Judge Larry Fuller, who said the state anti-sodomy law on which the policy was based violated the right to privacy guaranteed in the Texas Constitution.

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/02/05/us/judge-overturns-ban-on-gay-police.html?n=Top%2FReference%2FTimes%20Topics%2FSubjects%2FH%2FHiring%20and%20Promotion

http://www.dyfed-powys.police.uk/images/news/press-releases/chief-rainbow-flag.jpg

And.........?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:37:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Yeah - in this case, I'd fel safe if she had no weapon.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:40:48 PM EDT
[#47]
What does her being a lesbian have to do with the price of rice?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:42:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:49:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Kachina? You mean one of these ugly dolls? WHat a horrible name.

Well either nobody caught it or they chose to ignore it, but that's what I though at the outset.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:52:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What does her being a lesbian have to do with the price of rice?

Some folks believe that sexual deviants have no business being police officers, I suppose.

Makes it harder to fire her because she could throw the discrimination card, female, gay, race, etc. It's much easier to fire a straight white male.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top