Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/28/2006 1:39:30 PM EST
Last Wendsday we had a fire drill at work; we had to walk down the stairs from the 20th floor. All well and good; after work I went to school wher I lifted weights and swam 60 laps (1500 yards), no problem.

Thursday, my upper calves hurt so bad it was hard to walk; Friday was worse if possible, though I was able to go on my bicycle rides after work. Now, I bicycle about 27 hours a month, plus the weights and swimming, so I'm not weak or anything, so why do my legs hurt so much?

It is the movement when your foot goes up or down that hurts in the calves; I soaked in a tub full of hot water last night hoping for a cure, but no dice. If I'm up and about, it is not as bad, but when I sit down for +30 minutes the calves tighten right back up.

H'ep!
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 1:55:10 PM EST
You need to get a massage. (Sp:?) Aspirin and get some booze in ya. Seriously. Get a few shots and a massage.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 3:23:30 PM EST
Build up of lactic acid?

Go do about 10 min of very light riding on a stationary bike, I meed really really light.

Then do a few light body weight squats and a few body weight standing calf raises.

Then stretch them really well. If your gym has one of those foot incline boards stretch your calfs on that and do your normal stretch routine.

This usually helps with DOM's and build up of lactic acid.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 3:51:38 PM EST
I did some calf stretches yesterday, but it didn't help that much...the asprin I just took did a little good though.

On the bright side, I've identified a weakness in my workout plan....
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 4:13:18 PM EST
Being a master of the obvious I will coment that walking down a bunch of stairs uses or strains something that your normal workout doesn't .
Strains usually are worse the second day.
Ibuprofen is your friend.
Something comes to mind-What shoes do you wear at work? I can see that dress shoes and 20 flights of stairs might be part of the problem.
I am all for preps and such but expect that hearding people down 20 flights of stairs likely caused problems for more folks than yourself. Had your workout in previous days to the drill tighten up your calfs and then cause your injury ?
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 4:25:23 PM EST
Just this week my right knee was really hurting after running 2x a day for 5 days. Got shin splints so I lapsed for 2 days....then my right knee started to hurt like a bitch, worst pain in my knee in my life.

After 5 days of unrelenting pain, I went to the doctor who reckoned I had damaged some cartlidge under my kneecap and prescribed 800mg of ibuprofen every 8 hours for the pain. My knee felt way better after just 2 doses. So I suggest trying the same.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:24:57 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/28/2006 5:27:04 PM EST by AyeGuy]
10-4 on the Ibuprofin.

Yeah, several people were complaing about sore legs, but none of them were hobbling around like me, and I'm one of the youngest people there (41).

raven- watch the running. When I was in the Marines I tore my knee cartilage up, and I haven't run in the 18 years since.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 2:57:42 PM EST
A massage will really help...lots. If you get a massage on a regular basis your muscles will respond quicker when you over do it. The massage will help get the lactic acid out of your muscles, and drink lots of water. Most people do not understand the positive benifits of massage...that is a really good deep massage.

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:27:37 AM EST
DONT FORGET YOUR POTASSIUM INTAKE HELPS HEAL YA QUICKER!!!!
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:07:44 PM EST

Originally Posted By AyeGuy:
Last Wendsday we had a fire drill at work; we had to walk down the stairs from the 20th floor. All well and good; after work I went to school wher I lifted weights and swam 60 laps (1500 yards), no problem.

Just a different kind of stress than your legs usually experience.

Originally Posted By AyeGuy:
It is the movement when your foot goes up or down that hurts in the calves; I soaked in a tub full of hot water last night hoping for a cure, but no dice. If I'm up and about, it is not as bad, but when I sit down for +30 minutes the calves tighten right back up.

H'ep!

If there is inflammation in a muscle, go with ice instead of heat in the first 24 hours. Ice will reduce the inflammation and help to force out any fatigue causing by-products. Alternate ice and heat after 24-48 hours.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 3:47:09 PM EST
Let me tell you I know a Thing or two about sore legs. I am a long distance runner and marathoner. I find that my legs seem to hurt more after speed work than with distance. After I do one of my hour long tempo runs. These are runs where I have nothing left in me I jump into a bath tub and throw a picture of ice in and turn the cold water on. Yeah its not the most comfortable thing to do sometimes. BUt I find I am not as sore the next day. Its alot easier to do in the summer after runnning in heat.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:51:43 PM EST
Today was actually the first day that my calves are back to normal, pain-free.

Unfortunatly, last night I was lifting weights, and doing seated rows I strained my lower back, so I'm still hobbling around like an old man...
Top Top