Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2006 5:31:48 AM EDT
Howdy all,

I have been reading the text of several bills on immigration "reform" and I fail to understand part of the process.  For instance,  I believe a physical barrier should be constructed between the US and Mexico.  The entire border.  That said, why is that not a single- read SIMPLE- bill?

Instead it is lumped in as a package deal.  To be cynical it looks as if the bills are destined for failure, so a rat politician can say "I could not support the legislation due to "X" provision (which happens to be unpopular for whatever part of their constituency).

I realize the politicians in Washington are gutless, but this is sublime.  The physical barrier WILL cut down on illegal immigration.  Does anyone know of this as a standalone bill?

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:18:07 PM EDT
[#1]
It probably should be an independent bill.  Each reasonable sub-section of the process should be it's own bill.  

But as a horridly complex mess each and every Congresscritter or Senator can use various parts of it to their advantage.  They can vote for it  and tell unhappy voters they voted for it because most of it was pretty good and they can fix the problems later.  Likewise they can vote against it and tell folks there were parts that were so bad the good parts weren't worth it.  And as small simple parts, thjey can't vote either way without hurting themselves, hence no easy way for us.

Heck they could tie up a "fence" bill for a years.  How high, how wide, where it goes, where it stops, what equipment, how far from the border can it actually be, etc etc etc ad infintum, ad nauseum.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:21:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:22:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Politicians by the very definition lack any shread of common sense, like many Americans who they represent.  We fail to stand together, so we fall individually...........common sense.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:24:16 PM EDT
[#4]
"If you like laws and sausages, you should never watch either one being made." Otto von Bismarck
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:17:44 PM EDT
[#5]

why are the immigration bills lumped together as packages?  

Because the system is seriously screwed up, and has been for a long time.  Lumping shit together makes it easier to do do the you scratch my back, I scratch yours sorta thing, plus you can tack all sorts of crap onto an opponent's bill if you have enough votes.  

The two biggest problems with the system are (1) politicians making a lifetime career out of public office, and (2) the Dems and GOP have decided that it's in their best interest to make it as hard as possible for third party candidates to get into the act.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top