Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2001 7:26:09 AM EDT
Heads up:

Senators John McCain and Joe Lieberman have introduced a particularly smelly piece of dung called the “Gun Show Loophole Closing and Gun Law Enforcement Act of 2001.”

Now, as we all know, the "gun show loophole" is a liberal scare-tactic construct created out of thin air just like those terrible "cop killer bullets" that resulted in so many police officers NOT dying, and the "plastic guns" that saw so many passengers NOT being able to walk armed and undetected onto passenger planes. What about your "high capacity magazines?"

Here's my response:
--------------------------

May 15, 2001

The Honorable Sam Johnson
1030 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20515

Dear Congressman Johnson,

I understand that Senators John McCain and Joseph Lieberman introduced legislation today in the Senate called the “Gun Show Loophole Closing and Gun Law Enforcement Act of 2001.” I’m writing to you today to urge you in the strongest terms to fight this bill if it should come to the House for a vote.

The simple fact is, as I believe you know, that there is no “gunshow loophole.” This is typical liberal redefinition of terms, just like “high-capacity” magazines and “cop-killer” bullets. Here in the Great State of Texas, a private gun owner has the right to sell a gun to another Texas resident. Some of them choose to do it at gun shows, where they can expect to find a large number of fellow gun owners. There is no difference between me selling an old rifle I don’t use anymore at a gun show and selling it through a newspaper advertisement. Senator McCain knows this, but I believe he is attempting to position himself to the left in preparation for another run for higher office. The fact that Senator Charles Schumer of New York, a virulent gun hater, supports this legislation tells me that it will be a grievous violation of my rights.

Thank you for your time, Congressman. I have always been able to count on you in the past when the incrementalists in Washington have attempted to erode our rights, and I hope that I can continue to do so.

Respectfully,

---------------------

My senators got similar letters.

Write 'em, let 'em know how they're supposed to vote as your representative in Washington.

FMCDH
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.

----------------------
"No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
--Thomas Jefferson

Link Posted: 5/16/2001 1:23:17 PM EDT
[#1]
bump
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 4:53:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I think I will write the same letter to Hillary and Chuckie.

How did I ever end up in NY??????
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 5:20:05 AM EDT
[#3]
You poor bastard.

FMCDH
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 9:59:57 AM EDT
[#4]
must resist urge to scream out in anger
damn Mcain making my state look liberal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top