Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 8/8/2001 8:26:24 AM EST
Does anybody know, or would somebody provide me with a link(s) what the laws are in the state of Ohio? I've heard you need an official OK from local Law Enforcement and a $200 one - time federal tax stamp. I've also heard from others that a $2000 - $3000 ANNUAL fee is part of the licensing. Can anybody help here? It's not in my immediate plans to purchase anything, but sometime in the future I would enjoy a go-fast toy or two. Thanks in advance, A3kid.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 11:18:54 AM EST
dont quote me on this but i think you need a class 3 licence and then a 200.00 trans fee for certin parts, sear, bolt carrier, hammer ect. as i said dont quote me ask a gun shop.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 12:10:36 PM EST
morlock13: There is no such thing as a class 3 license. Never has been, probably never will be. a3kid: Federally, it's a one-time $200 tax per firearm - individual states may have other requirements. Best place for that info is to look at the NFA FAQ at subguns.com Individuals owning Title 2 (NFA) weapons, pay a making or transfer tax at the time the firearm is registered to them and entered in the NFRTR. The making tax is a one-time $200, and the transfer tax is a one time $5 (for AOW) or $200 (all others) payment, payable when the weapon is registered to a new owner. The tax is not a license - it is a one-time tax. Individual states may require a permit and/or permit fee, and some states charge a yearly renewal fee on that permit. Dealers (type 01 FFL) who pay a yearly special occupational tax (SOT) to deal in NFA firearms are "Class 3" dealers, because that is their SOT class. Manufacturers (type 07 FFL) who pay a yearly SOT to deal in NFA firearms are "Class 2" manufacturers, because that is their SOT class. There is also a Class 1 SOT for importers of NFA firearms.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 1:28:03 PM EST
Ohio is Class III friendly if you live in a jurisdiction that the CLEO will sign your paperwork. You might want to inquire at your local shops wherther the paperwork is a problem. Basically, you find the Class III weapon(s) you want and the dealer will give you the paperwork that must be completed. It involves an ATF form 4 that you have to fill out and take to the CLEO where you live and have him sign it. There are also prints and a photo that need done. That all has to be sent to Washington, along with your $200. Once you get the paper back, you can take possession of your weapon(s). Any reputable Class III dealer can assist you in completing the paperwork, it's really pretty easy. There are some areas in Ohio that the CLEO won't sign Class III paperwork, I believe Summit County is one. If the Sheriff won't sign, try the police chief where you live.
Top Top