licensing.  Can anybody help here?

It's not in my immediate plans to purchase
anything, but sometime in the future I would
enjoy a go-fast toy or two.

Thanks in advance,

A3kid.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 12:18:54 PM EDT
[#1]
dont quote me on this but i think you need a class 3 licence and then a 200.00 trans fee for certin parts, sear, bolt carrier, hammer ect. as i said dont quote me ask a gun shop.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 1:10:36 PM EDT
[#2]
morlock13: There is no such thing as a class 3 license.  Never has been, probably never will be.

a3kid: Federally, it's a one-time $200 tax per firearm - individual states may have other requirements.  Best place for that info is to look at the NFA FAQ at subguns.com

Individuals owning Title 2 (NFA) weapons, pay a making or transfer tax at the time the firearm is registered to them and entered in the NFRTR.  The making tax is a one-time $200, and the transfer tax is a one time $5 (for AOW) or $200 (all others) payment, payable when the weapon is registered to a new owner.  The tax is not a license - it is a one-time tax.  Individual states may require a permit and/or permit fee, and some states charge a yearly renewal fee on that permit.

Dealers (type 01 FFL) who pay a yearly special occupational tax (SOT) to deal in NFA firearms are "Class 3" dealers, because that is their SOT class.

Manufacturers (type 07 FFL) who pay a yearly SOT to deal in NFA firearms are "Class 2" manufacturers, because that is their SOT class.

There is also a Class 1 SOT for importers of NFA firearms.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 2:28:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Ohio is Class III friendly if you live in a jurisdiction that the CLEO will sign your paperwork. You might want to inquire at your local shops wherther the paperwork is a problem.

Basically, you find the Class III weapon(s) you want and the dealer will give you the paperwork that must be completed. It involves an ATF form 4 that you have to fill out and take to the CLEO where you live and have him sign it. There are also prints and a photo that need done. That all has to be sent to Washington, along with your $200. Once you get the paper back, you can take possession of your weapon(s). Any reputable Class III dealer can assist you in completing the paperwork, it's really pretty easy.

There are some areas in Ohio that the CLEO won't sign Class III paperwork, I believe Summit County is one. If the Sheriff won't sign, try the police chief where you live.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top