Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 6/2/2003 10:17:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/2/2003 10:17:50 PM EDT by AR_Clint]
I was wondering if I needed the same licenses and such you need for a silencer that attaches to the muzzle for one of these? [img]http://www.precisionweaponscorp.com/images/BlueRifle.jpg[/img] PWC MOD Integrally Suppressed Ruger 10/22 Blue Price: $650 complete $400 w/ customers weapon
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 10:33:50 PM EDT
Unfortunately, a silencer is a silencer. I'd say the barrel falls under the redesigned part catergory. Code definition: Firearm muffler or firearm silencer. Any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, [b]including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned[/b], and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 11:13:07 PM EDT
it's the same as any suppressor and still requires the $200 nfa tax stamp. they're quiet as hell though. pretty cool. i've heard bb guns that made more noise.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 1:57:26 PM EDT
Here's another question. Why do suppressors cost so friggin much?!?! Do they really cost that much to make, or is it because of the "cool" factor?
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 2:05:39 PM EDT
Originally Posted By AR_Clint: Here's another question. Why do suppressors cost so friggin much?!?! Do they really cost that much to make, or is it because of the "cool" factor?
View Quote
Cool factor.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 2:23:32 PM EDT
Here's another question. Why do suppressors cost so friggin much?!?! Do they really cost that much to make, or is it because of the "cool" factor?
View Quote
If you know what you are doing you can build a perfectly functioning suppressor out of junk. If you have to buy the stuff you could probably get what you need for $10-15. Of course this is illegal. They are restricted items only manufactured by a few so you pay a premium.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 2:25:41 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Max_Mike:
View Quote
If you know what you are doing you can build a perfectly functioning suppressor out of junk. If you have to buy the stuff you could probably get what you need for $10-15. Of course this is illegal. They are restricted items only manufactured by a few so you pay a premium.
View Quote
Yeah, once you get the design down, its probably $15 for material (unless its an unobtanium model), a little bit for coating, and a few minutes on the lathe (not in that order). But there is a lot of R&D work involved to get a good design and like the man said, the people who manufacture these dont sell that many. They have to earn a living. -Nukr
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 2:48:27 PM EDT
Yeah, once you get the design down, its probably $15 for material (unless its an unobtanium model), a little bit for coating, and a few minutes on the lathe (not in that order). But there is a lot of R&D work involved to get a good design and like the man said, the people who manufacture these dont sell that many. They have to earn a living.
View Quote
You don’t get around much. [:)] Oh come on… You can get plans to build cheap suppressors from any number of sources from a cost of a few dollars to free.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:41:55 PM EDT
AR_Clint be careful not to manufacture an "assault weapon" by putting a can style suppressor on the front of a 10-22 that has a pistol grip. The ATF classifies a sound suppressor as a flash hider as well. Max_Mike If you pay for the NFA tax to manufacture a suppressor than you can build one. You don’t have to be any more special or pay anymore $ for a NFA manufacturer license if the suppressor is only intended for personal use and not for retail sale or transfer. On the other hand if you don’t build the perfect design the first time then you will have to pay another NFA tax to build a better design if you dont have the manufacturer license. AR_clint second? Because the manufacturers spend a lot of money for there NFA manufacturer license R&D to perfect their models and equipment to manufacture them etc. For most of them it’s not just a hobby any more. All of this is directly from the ATF/NFA agents at the technology division in D.C. I did some checking before I started any work. V_C
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:16:44 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Max_Mike: You don’t get around much. [:)] Oh come on… You can get plans to build cheap suppressors from any number of sources from a cost of a few dollars to free.
View Quote
I'd love to see an integrally suppressed 10/22 that you built for a few dollars out of junk. Suppressors are just like any other gun part, they take machining, assembly and know how. Sure you could make your own, I could make my own Tac light too for less than $10, but would it be as nice as a SureFire M500A? Non-integral suppressors that screw on to the muzzle that look and function great can be had relatively cheap. I paid $100 for one new and I'd bet there are few people on this board who could make one as nice, if at all, for the same amount of money if they counted their time.
Top Top