Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2004 3:36:15 AM EDT
Forgive me.. I know there are a million posts regarding this hot topic and I really hate to bring another to life. You'll have to bear with me. I'm currently deployed to the most luxurious place in the AOR (Al Udied, Qatar) and I don't have the internet access to do the searching required to answer the question...

*IF* the ban was to expire, and I was to purchase lower recievers and someday they reinstate a ban, would I be able to build my lowers into a "preban" config.? Or would I need to buy a complete rifle in order to make a rifle at a later date?

Thank you very much!
SSgt Hebert, Justin
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:39:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends on whether they enact legislation that states 'assembled on or after' like they did in 1994. Then, your receiver HAD to be a rifle in order to grandfather. Only time will tell.

Stay safe out there in Qatar. you might not go into the badlands (you might go), but everywhere is on the Terrs' radar scope. Our thanks to you, your comrades, and your family for all the sacrifice.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:41:02 AM EDT
[#2]
he said it better (grin)
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:10:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Depends on whether they enact legislation that states 'assembled on or after' like they did in 1994. Then, your receiver HAD to be a rifle in order to grandfather. Only time will tell.

The '94 AWB did not require that the rifle be assembled.  It only required that you possessed a complete rifle or rifle kit with all the necessary components to assemble a rifle in SAW configuration on 09-13.

If there is a new ban at the federal level it is very unlikely that it will resemble the current ban.

JustDSM, stay safe.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:40:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Who knows?  No assumption should be made about what future proposed bans might be like.

I have seen "model legislation" by the major gun control groups that would also ban "parts kits" or any parts that would allow you to complete your unbuilt "assault weapon".

I suggest you equip yourself with your desired firearm, plenty of mags, spare parts, and ammunition as soon as you have an opportunity.

Stopping these items from being available for sale is easy... taking firearms out of our hands is an entirely different thing.

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:32:27 AM EDT
[#5]
When the ban expires it will be legal to have a  flash hider, for instance.  Since it would be legal, there should be no prohibition for you adding one to an AR 15.  We've always been allowed to add legal items to our post ban AR 15's after we purchased them.  It would just mean another category of add-ons are now available for installation.  

Now, I don't know this for a legal fact but it probably turns out that way IMHO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top