Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 6/30/2002 7:32:53 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/1/2002 7:52:54 PM EST by Geachtete]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 6:17:57 AM EST
No. I *****think***** boats are understood in the same way as cars. Anyone?
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 3:16:46 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 3:42:02 PM EST
in NY? who knows. i guess i would worry about the harbor patrol more than coast guard. here in tex we have the coast guard, sheriffs department, local city police and game wardens and they all want to be cops on the water. i would say get a pump shotgun!
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 4:02:56 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 4:24:55 PM EST
the 870 marine is a great gun. i would soak it in LPS-3. have you ever seen a shark from your jet ski? i think your best bet is to not shoot but haul ass on your water bike. i have killed a couple with a 410 contender pisol while offshore fishing.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 5:57:06 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 9:18:54 PM EST
PWC=kayak. ah yes, makes much more sense. will the kayak float with a 4-6" hole in the side? like one made with a shotgun? i would fill your kayak (where possible) with marine expanding foam before i carried a shogun on board.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 11:52:03 AM EST
I think at some distance from the shore, you are in international waters and anything goes. I have no idea what this distance is, though. I'm guessing it's pretty far for a kayak.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 4:21:27 AM EST
I doubt he'll be out 12 miles. Check the NY laws. You frequently will find that boats have relaxed restrictions. I'd check with thr appropriate NY state office, probably Justice. Emphasize the boat part. When I lived up there I found all types of NY State offices very helpful and friendly. If they have a pamphlet with the applicable law or just a statement, get hold of it and have it handy. Some locals my not know the law. Though not on this subject, but as an example, the Bahamas prohibit firearms to anyone on land, but arriving boats may have firearms on board as long as they are declared to customs.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 5:11:39 AM EST
here's there dirt... as far as the coast guard is concerned you can have any unregulated(re: anyting requiring atf form 4) firearm, loaded, on you, or what ever. if you have a full auto make SURE you have your form 4 on board. if you get boarded and the officer asks if you have any firearms on board (with out grabbing or reaching for) you better tell them, post sept 11 we're more likley to shoot first ect.... as far the city of new york is concerned how ever, if you are boating inside the five bourghs the nypd may hassle you, even though it is legal in ny state waters, long guns must be registered in nyc (don't even ask about pistols) so as far as i'm concered go find you self a nice water proof bag and cast off [smoke] stay safe
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 5:15:22 AM EST
P.S. inernational waters is only three miles
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 6:21:39 AM EST
Here's an illustration of how one can get into trouble with the multiple, complex laws governing anything. Coastie may very well be correct, but let's hope HE's the one boarding (most are quite reasonable, and have a good reason for so doing - they are doing a tough and often thankless job). According to some books, referring to Chapman, one has to clear Customs when going beyond 3 miles from the coast. But (you knew one of those was coming), the International Convention of Law at Sea of 1994 defines the territorial limit of nations at 19 km (about 12 mi), and there was discussion of allowing the extension of the boundary to 38 km. In 1999, President Clinton issued a proclamation extending the limit to 38 km/24 mi. The rub, of course, is the jurisdictions of agencies, etc, gets a bit confused in this zone. Personally, I'd take the lead from the gambling boats, who go just beyond 12 miles (nm.). I don't mean to disagree with Coastie, but someone else in uniform might have another interpretation.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 3:31:44 AM EST
Just wondering how you're going to carry a shotgun on a kayak. I've been in a few and there didn't seem to all that much room. And what about the recoil? Seems like you would end up capsized after the first shot, in the water with a really pissed off shark. Would not be a fun thing. Here in FL there are plenty of sharks and i never here of people taking guns on kayaks. You should really be more worried about the drunk, coked-up, ass cricket in the cigarette boat that's gonna run you down cause he's to busy talking on the cell phone to look where he's going. Most sharks ambush their prey, so chances are you wouldn't see it until it's too late anyway. Remember the most dangerous thing out there on the water are the other people, not sharks.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 8:18:22 PM EST
The US recognises a longer distance for 'International Waters', (at times (cold war, worried about russian SSBNs getting too close), we claimed 200mi, IIRC) than most countries. I think it actually is 12 now, though..
Top Top