Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2011 7:43:47 PM EDT
In the past, I've put down animals that were gravely injured after being hit by a car on the road.

Hypothetically speaking, if one were to come upon an animal that was obviously in pain and not in a condition where it would ever recover, would it be legal to shoot it?  Most cities have ordinances against discharging firearms, but in unincorporated areas, is there anything you could be charged with?

As I get older, I wonder about these things.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:50:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Generally illegal unless directed to do so by a fish cop.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:51:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Most of the time road injured animals are too close to the road to legally shoot, at least in this state.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:52:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Generally illegal unless directed to do so by a fish cop.

I was really thinking more about pets, but still ––- would you be charged with poaching, then?

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:52:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I would have no issue with someone doing it and would quite thankful I did not have to do it myself.  

Opinions among other badge wearing folks will vary wildly though.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:52:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I think some states have exceptions for this sort of thing.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:53:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Most of the time road injured animals are too close to the road to legally shoot, at least in this state.

Is there a law against shooting near a roadway?  I know there are about hunting too near a highway... I guess the hunting laws would stretch to cover this situation, too.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:55:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I have been in just that situation a several times.  Previously (before I had a cell phone) I had simply handled the situation the way I saw fit.   About 12 years ago I was driving to work and saw a nice buck bedded down off the side of the road.  He had his head up looking around.   "Dang" I thought, "I'll bet that thing got hit by a car and is dying"  Well being late for work I didn't stop, but on the way home I saw it was still there with it's head up, so I stopped.  It had all 4 legs broken and was in bad shape.  I walked back to my car and the only thing I had to put it down was a baseball bat.  I did what I had to do.

The last time it happened I decided to call the sheriff about a fawn that was injured on the roadside.  It's wounds were not terminal but it would have eventually died from starvation, or been eaten by coyotes.(it had a broken leg).  The sheriffs office said I would be charged with a crime if I shot it, but they would send someone along to take care of it.  The responding officer was someone I know and he put a bullet in it's head and tossed it far enough off the road that it wouldn't cause problems and drove off.

Now from a legal stand point he was no more permitted to kill deer out of season without a license than I am.  The only difference would be no one would charge him with a crime.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:55:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I once saw a goose that had been hit by a car. His neck was broken and flopping around at a 90 degree angle. This was in Philly, and all I had on me was a folding entrenching tool. I considered finishing it off with the edge of the shovel, but wasn't sure the 900 other rush-hour motorists would be able to handle it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:55:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:56:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I believe you have to call state police/state DNR to legally shoot the animal,
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:58:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:59:22 PM EDT
[#12]
When I was a boy there was a raccoon by the side of the road near my house one day that was most likely rabid.

It was out in the middle of the day (i.e., a nocturnal animal), walking around in circles like it was dazed.

The neighbors called the police.

A small crowd formed, myself included.  I was about ten years old probably.

A police officer arrived, got out of his car, and walked over to watch the animal for a few minutes.

After satisfying himself that it was, indeed, most likely rabid, he simply drew his .357 Magnum, and shot it, twice.  (No radio call to a supervisor asking for "permission."  Just a man doing what needed to be done).

Then he told us to stay away from it until an animal control unit arrived to remove the carcass.

God was the world different - and better - in those days.

(I'm thinking that today, had an officer done that in front of onlookers, it would have caused liberal head explosions).
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:59:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd call the cops and have them deal with it. The liability isn't worth it. No good deed goes unpunished.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 8:00:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Why not just run it over with your car?
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 8:02:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

The last one I hit I couldn't find.....Sadly it was someone's pet but the fact it was hit head first and at 70 mph I can only hope it died on impact.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 8:03:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Is there a law against shooting near a roadway?  I know there are about hunting too near a highway... I guess the hunting laws would stretch to cover this situation, too.  

Yeah, can't shoot near, off of, or across a public road here.  I forgot the actual distance you need to be off the road.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 8:04:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I would have no issue with someone doing it and would quite thankful I did not have to do it myself.  

Opinions among other badge wearing folks will vary wildly though.

This.  Also, this will vary state to state county to county town to town.

Contact your local sheriff, fish cop or brand inspector.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 8:05:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'd call the cops and have them deal with it. The liability isn't worth it. No good deed goes unpunished.

Amen.  The ambulance chasers have made doing the right thing difficult in today's world.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 8:06:55 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I believe you have to call state police/state DNR to legally shoot the animal,

Works that way in MN, at least. They will usually give you a green light to put it down yourself.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 8:10:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Not something I lose sleep worrying about.  I imagine it depends on where it was hit.  If it's on county road 87 with no traffic I suppose the correct thing to do would be to put it down yourself if it were that messed up.  If it were Hwy 87 in a residential I would probably call the cops and let them deal with it, they know the rules.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 8:14:54 PM EDT
[#21]
I believe its illegal to fire within 100yards of a road... I may be wrong.
It is illegal to hunt or shoot a firearm 50 feet from a roadway in WI.

Thats one charge, even if your outside city limits.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 8:17:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Shoot an injured animal....  Hide your dog and prepare to go to jail.

Welcome to Amerika 2011.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 8:19:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
In the past, I've put down animals that were gravely injured after being hit by a car on the road.

Hypothetically speaking, if one were to come upon an animal that was obviously in pain and not in a condition where it would ever recover, would it be legal to shoot it?  Most cities have ordinances against discharging firearms, but in unincorporated areas, is there anything you could be charged with?

As I get older, I wonder about these things.

I've had to use a hammer...twice.

Poor little fawns.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 8:34:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Oh well.  It looks like this is just one more situation where men must choose between doing the right thing and doing the legal thing.

These situations seem to be becoming more and more common.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 8:40:20 PM EDT
[#25]
I stopped to help a lady in Idaho a couple years ago, she had hit a buck and broken it's leg. About a minute after I stopped a State trooper rolled up. The buck was hobbling around in the middle of the highway. The trooper and I managed to get hold of the deer by it's antlers and coax it into the median then wrestled to to the ground. I told the trooper I'd hold it while he popped it. He had to get authorization from dispatch to shoot the animal. Dispatch had to get authorization from fish and game, fish and game decided they wanted to send an officer out to see if the animal could be saved.
We sat there for over an hour trying to keep it calm and splinting the leg to try and ease some of it's pain before dispatch called back to tell the officer to go ahead and shoot the deer, fish and game couldn't get their officer out in the middle of the night. The trooper got out his AR and with tears running down his face popped the deer in the head.
I said we should have just shot it and not said anything, trooper said fish and game would have opened an investigation for illegal poaching if he hadn't gone through the effort to get permission.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 8:48:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I stopped to help a lady in Idaho a couple years ago, she had hit a buck and broken it's leg. About a minute after I stopped a State trooper rolled up. The buck was hobbling around in the middle of the highway. The trooper and I managed to get hold of the deer by it's antlers and coax it into the median then wrestled to to the ground. I told the trooper I'd hold it while he popped it. He had to get authorization from dispatch to shoot the animal. Dispatch had to get authorization from fish and game, fish and game decided they wanted to send an officer out to see if the animal could be saved.
We sat there for over an hour trying to keep it calm and splinting the leg to try and ease some of it's pain before dispatch called back to tell the officer to go ahead and shoot the deer, fish and game couldn't get their officer out in the middle of the night. The trooper got out his AR and with tears running down his face popped the deer in the head.
I said we should have just shot it and not said anything, trooper said fish and game would have opened an investigation for illegal poaching if he hadn't gone through the effort to get permission.

It's ridiculous.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 8:52:31 PM EDT
[#27]
I've shot deer hit by a car before; It may have been illegal but out here it isnt likely someone will come along. And frankly fuck it, I ant going to let an animal suffer because I am afraid of the very unlikely chance that someone will come along, and the even less likely chance the would give a shit.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 8:58:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Most of the ones I hit in Michigan, the cop usually didn't care.  I had a couple who were glad they didn't have to do it.  Killed by bullet or killed by car, all tasted the same to me.

Can't say about other places.  Haven't hit one in Arizona yet.  Just not as many "farm raised" deer out here.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:02:24 PM EDT
[#29]
My dad told me about one of the other  officers he worked with who liked  animals. He had to kill a fawn that had been hit by a car, but didn't want to watch,  so he turned his head away, closed his eyes, and proceeded to empty  his Smith and Wesson. The deer managed to  come out unscathed.

My dad was doubled over laughing for weeks.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:16:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I did that once after hitting a fawn.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:18:10 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

My dad told me about one of the other  officers he worked with who liked  animals. He had to kill a fawn that had been hit by a car, but didn't want to watch,  so he turned his head away, closed his eyes, and proceeded to empty  his Smith and Wesson. The deer managed to  come out unscathed.

I hate having to kill animals.  I hunt, because I don't want to become one of "those people" who don't connect the food they eat with the reality of it.  I don't so much enjoy it as I feel like it is something that everyone should do from time to time to remember how things work.

I had to put down a dog tonight. It was obviously someone's pet, but it was terribly injured and would have not likely survived even a car ride to a vet.  I didn't cry about it, but I sure as hell felt it and it's nothing to laugh about.  I moved him out of the road, laid him down, scratched his belly one last time and put him out of his misery.  I realize it's just a dog, but I know good and well that that animal knew that he wasn't going to make it and I hope I provided it a bit less horrible death.

I would doubt the ability of an officer - or any man - who could not put aside his emotions long enough to get the job done, though.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:25:14 PM EDT
[#32]
A man does his duty. That's what makes him a man. Good work––even if it was unpleasant.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:26:49 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hate having to kill animals.  I hunt, because I don't want to become one of "those people" who don't connect the food they eat with the reality of it.  I don't so much enjoy it as I feel like it is something that everyone should do from time to time to remember how things work.  

I had to put down a dog tonight. It was obviously someone's pet, but it was terribly injured and would have not likely survived even a car ride to a vet.  I didn't cry about it, but I sure as hell felt it and it's nothing to laugh about.  I moved him out of the road, laid him down, scratched his belly one last time and put him out of his misery.  I realize it's just a dog, but I know good and well that that animal knew that he wasn't going to make it and I hope I provided it a bit less horrible death.

I would doubt the ability of an officer - or any man - who could not put aside his emotions long enough to get the job done, though.
I'm the same way. I would hate to have to put down a dog.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:34:05 PM EDT
[#34]
A couple of months ago, I shot a rabid skunk in the road from the window of my Jeep with my Glock 23 and a 155 grain Gold Dot. 1 shot kill.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:43:39 PM EDT
[#35]
If it's a dog or wolf or some sort of canine, I'll move the carcass off to the side of the road.

If it's not dead I would likely put it down if I had my carry piece on me (see em all the time on post but I'm disarmed)

If it's a cat, squirrel, opossum, armadillo etc, I try to flatten it out a little more so the drivers behind me don't injure their tires.

Just doin other motorists a service...
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:54:22 PM EDT
[#36]
I've put down several raccoons roadside and a deer that I hit last December.

As far as the legalities - Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks can FOAD, biggest bunch of incompetent, bumbling fucktards to ever carry a badge and gun.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 10:01:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I've put down several raccoons roadside and a deer that I hit last December.

As far as the legalities - Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks can FOAD, biggest bunch of incompetent, bumbling fucktards to ever carry a badge and gun.

Double that for FWC in FL.

What a bunch of assholes.

Link Posted: 8/14/2011 5:09:14 AM EDT
[#38]
I have had to kill deer hit by cars and used a knife instead of a gun,much safer for everybody.
Now if the animal is trashing around and you might get hurt that's another story.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 1:32:06 PM EDT
[#39]
I saw a big deer get hit by a car on I80 in NJ

Driving back the other way about 1 hour later,the dead deer was up against the retaining wall with his head cut clean off.Someone actually cut the head off with some kind of sharp instrument,and left the rest just laying there
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 3:24:52 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I hate having to kill animals.  I hunt, because I don't want to become one of "those people" who don't connect the food they eat with the reality of it.

seriously, i think this is an awesome attitude.

good thread.

Link Posted: 8/14/2011 3:32:29 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I saw a big deer get hit by a car on I80 in NJ

Driving back the other way about 1 hour later,the dead deer was up against the retaining wall with his head cut clean off.Someone actually cut the head off with some kind of sharp instrument,and left the rest just laying there

unless it was a buck with a big rack, then it was likely cut off by a large truck, etc.

the big trucks can literally cut animals into pieces

construction guy pulled the head of an 8 pointer out of the back of his truck that he had seen on the highway cut into pieces.  it was definitely smooshed, not cut

Link Posted: 8/14/2011 3:42:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Oh well.  It looks like this is just one more situation where men must choose between doing the right thing and doing the legal thing.

These situations seem to be becoming more and more common.

In a person's defense,  a wounded animal on the side of the road can be a danger to people in other vehicles if it wanders back into the road.

I ran across this situation several years ago when I hit a deer on the interstate.  
The deer was very much alive and still in the road.
I was only armed with a cell phone and called the state troopers.

Link Posted: 8/14/2011 3:44:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Not usually legal with a firearm. Leads to too many poaching investigations. However, there are no complications if you use a knife.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 3:48:31 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Not usually legal with a firearm. Leads to too many poaching investigations. However, there are no complications if you use a knife.

the poaching issues are usually the same, but you do tend to get less questions about whether or not it was necessary

with large animals it can be quite dangerous even if they are mostly incapacitated.  I got kicked like crazy as soon as my knife blade went into the neck of the deer I did it to.  let me stand on its neck with no complaints, but as soon as that knife went in it went crazy.

Link Posted: 8/14/2011 3:56:39 PM EDT
[#45]
my old boss euthanized a doe with a piece of concrete . her legs were broken and she was bleeding inside and coughing up bloody froth.

he was a sportsman and said he couldn't leave an animal like that.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 4:04:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Not me, but my brother.  Happened in Michigan, fwiw.

A decade or so ago, a motorist hit a deer a couple hundred yards down the road from his house.  Injured the deer badly, but did not kill it outright.  Motorist came to my bro's house and called the county Sheriff's Department who dispatched a deputy to the scene.
In the meantime, my bro goes down to the scene with his trusty Python at the ready and dispatches the mortally wounded animal.
Deputy duly shows up, finds the deer dead and asks who shot it.  Bro volunteers it was him.  Deputy gets irate and tells him he could write him for hunting out of season.  Bro gets irate back and Deputy backs down, telling him in essence, "you did the right thing, don't do it again."

Stupid laws by stupid legislators.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 5:41:37 PM EDT
[#47]
CBP use of force allows it, now, just have to report it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top