Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2002 2:48:38 PM EDT
I need to know if it is legal to ship 30rd AR mags to NY State. I have sold some and the buyer is in NY, I know they have strict gun control laws but what is the law there on hi-caps?

Thanks A Lot
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 2:51:45 PM EDT
[#1]
it depends what part of NY. Any place but NY city and the five? surounding buroughs should be legal.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 2:57:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Lake Peekskill  I think is what it says....
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 3:00:58 PM EDT
[#3]
It should be legal.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 3:04:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for your help....Out they go
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 3:06:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I need to know if it is legal to ship 30rd AR mags to NY State. I have sold some and the buyer is in NY, I know they have strict gun control laws but what is the law there on hi-caps?

Thanks A Lot
View Quote

I think the 5 boroughs is the problem.
[:)>]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 3:11:16 PM EDT
[#6]
wait a second, where is peekskill?
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 3:17:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I really don't know. I am not familiar with NY. I need to make sure before I ship though, don't wanna break any laws
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 3:21:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I am not familiar with NY myself, But I do know they should be legal anywhere except  NY city and the five surounding buroughs. That being said, I cannot remember what the 5 surounding buroughs are. I checked one of those online maps and it appears lake peekskill is located in or near westchester. Sorry I cannot be of more help.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 3:23:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Is Westchester county a "no no" area? I guess.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 3:44:08 PM EDT
[#10]
OK,here it is.
Any place except NY city, the Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens and Staten Island should be legal
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 3:54:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok, good deal. Thanks again big_guy
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 6:18:47 PM EDT
[#12]
So does this mean that those folks who live in NYC or the other 5 areas go to New Jersey to buy?
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 6:45:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So does this mean that those folks who live in NYC or the other 5 areas go to New Jersey to buy?
View Quote

[whacko][>Q][puke][shock]The Evil Empire of NJ??? We don't get no Stinkin' high cap mags [>Q][whacko]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 7:26:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Vette447 -

It is completely legal to buy/sell/own/use any magazine legal under federal law in New York State.  The only exception I'm aware of to this is within one of the 5 boroughs of New York City (Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens, Manhattan, Staten Island).  This is restricted by city ordinance, not State law.

The "highly restrictive" nature of New York State's firearms laws is somewhat of a myth.  As far as long guns, non-NYC residents can own any long gun or magazine legal under federal law (aside from Class 3) without any licensing or permits of any kind.

Oh yeah, and Peekskill is on the west side of the Hudson river just south of West Point.  It is in no way subject to NYC or Westchester County regs.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 9:20:32 AM EDT
[#15]
It's up to the receiver to know and comply with the local laws. I would ask for a statement from the receiver that it is legal though. It would be highly impractical for the city of New York to go after you. The cost vs the chance of conviction will be high enough to discourage them anyway.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 9:56:30 AM EDT
[#16]
NYC has many restrictions on mags for both rifles and pistols.  If you live in NYC you should know what they are. You can’t even possess a pistol mag unless you are licensed for a pistol that uses that mag.

There is NO statewide regulation on magazines and there is NO local regulation on magazines in Westchester County.

Both Peekskill and Lake Peekskill are located on the EAST side of the Hudson River.  Peekskill is located in Westchester County and Lake Peekskill is located in Putnam County that adjoins WC.  Putnam County has no local law regulating magazine capacity.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 12:10:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Oh yeah, my bad.  Peekskill is just south of West Point but on the east side of the Hudson, which is Westchester County.  Thanks for the geography refresher rkbar15. [:D]

Mel Gibson would be ashamed...
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 3:20:36 PM EDT
[#18]
BMAN: You're just lucky the SO wasn't giving you sailing lessons and you ended up on the wrong heading! [:D]

Have you used the ranges up at West Point?  They have some great facilities there.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 4:50:36 PM EDT
[#19]
rkbar15 -

You're right, that'd be a bad thing if I was sailing the Hudson!  I should have known better, as I'm originally from near there. [:I]

I have never tried any ranges at West Point.  I try to hit at least one Army football game each year during the fall, but that's really the only time I go to the West Point/Newburgh area anymore.  Maybe sometime I'll have to try that area out.  I'm lucky enough to have some decent ranges about 10 minutes from my house, so I generally stay pretty close to home to shoot.  I'm always up for good new ranges though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top