Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2012 3:06:34 AM EDT
Is it legal to install all the lower parts in a stripped lower for another? Is it OK to charge to do this as a non-FFL? What if they "gift" you for your time? I have build a few ARs, and now I am having people ask me to build up lowers for them. Just trying to avoid PMITA Federal Prison.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 2:18:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't see why it wouldn't be ok.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 2:32:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I've done it countless times.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 2:44:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 2:44:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Absolutely legal if the lower is already theirs.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 2:57:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 3:06:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 3:38:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Aimless,

Thanks for moving this. So no-go huh? Just to be clear, the ATF defined "firearm" is already registered to them.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 3:52:33 AM EDT
[#8]
It actually appears to be a little "gray"... Even after reading the above post (great info by the way. Thanks for that!). I think on a small scale it's probably not going to raise any flags for BATFE. However, I think they leave some things a little "gray" so they have the freedom to interpret the law whichever way suits them at the time. So I would keep this activity to a minimum if it were me.
Also... And more importantly... Do you want the liability of having built a lower for some jack-ass that goes and blows himself up and then blames you for it because you "built" his rifle? I would think not.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 5:13:09 AM EDT
[#9]
I used to record from my albums to my cassettes. I even tear the tags off my pillows.

Helping a friend assemble a lower is not the intent of these laws in as much as it is geared toward the manufacturing and selling of firearms.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 5:29:15 AM EDT
[#10]
If your friend stays with you and you do not keep possession over night without him there you are fine. If he leaves it with you for a day as you assemble it then returns for it, you will need a license. If you are charging for it, you will need a license. Are both rules stupid as shit?  Absolutely, but it is what it is.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 5:39:09 AM EDT
[#11]
If he already bought the lower, then he already bought the firearm. If that was the case then you couldn't refinish a friends gun or put a scope on one.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 9:10:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Is it legal to install all the lower parts in a stripped lower for another? Is it OK to charge to do this as a non-FFL? What if they "gift" you for your time? I have build a few ARs, and now I am having people ask me to build up lowers for them. Just trying to avoid PMITA Federal Prison.

<––––FFL

Engaging in the business of  "gunsmithing" requires at least an 01FFL (dealer). Federal law and ATF regs are VERY clear on this.
If you install a parts kit on someone elses lower it is considered gunsmithing.
If you buy lowers and build them into complete lowers for sale you are manufacturing.

Quoted:
If he already bought the lower, then he already bought the firearm. If that was the case then you couldn't refinish a friends gun or put a scope on one.

Doing a friend a favor is far different from doing those same activities as a business. If you accept compensation for your refinishing, scope mounting gunsmithing, etc............you are engaging in the business.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 1:39:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the replies guys. I have sent a letter to the ATF for clarification, but for now, I am going to completely hold off.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:27:34 PM EDT
[#14]

27 CFR 478.11 - Meaning of terms.

(a) Manufacturer of firearms. A person who devotes time, attention, and
labor to manufacturing firearms as a regular course of trade or business
with the principal objective of livelihood and profit
through the sale
or distribution of the firearms manufactured;
(d) Gunsmith. A person who devotes time, attention, and labor to
engaging in such activity as a regular course of trade or business with
the principal objective of livelihood and profit
, but such a term shall
not include a person who makes occasional repairs of firearms or who
occasionally fits special barrels, stocks, or trigger mechanisms to
firearms;

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:15:42 AM EDT
[#15]
I jusst saw where you wanted money for it, and retract my statement. I originally looked at this from my phone.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:03:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I have them come to my shop with their parts.
They work on their guns with my tools. They take their stuff with them when they leave.
I sometimes offer helpful suggestions as they work.
No money changes hands.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top