Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2004 9:19:10 AM EDT
Hypothetical Question. Suppose a buddy of mine wanted to go ahead and thread some barrels on his uppers in anticipation of the AWB expiring. If by some small chance the ban doesn't expire, could he use those threads to affix a muzzle brake if it were soldered on, so he wouldn't have to cut those threads off and recrown his barrels.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:20:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes.

Next?

edit...wait....which country are you in? There is no chance of the fed. ban not expiring.....you in canada or mexico?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:24:49 AM EDT
[#2]
IIRC:
Threaded barrels are a no no on a post ban.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:26:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks.  Thats what I figured. Just not 100% sure.  Haven't done me reading on the soldering aspect of it.

I think that it will expire as well but until it does I plan on remaining cautiously optimistic.  No harm in that.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:28:56 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
IIRC:

My thought was if it is soldered then it is not longer 2 seperate pieces.  The barrel and muzzle break become one.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:29:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
IIRC:

I didn't say he could re-assemble the gun with the threaded upper in the meantime.

Again, it doesn't matter. Ban is dead. any assumptions otherwise are irrational, unfounded, and incorrect.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:32:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Threads and flash hiders are banned separately.  You cannot have a FH, even if it was pressed or pinned on.  You cannot have threads at all, because they fear you could add an evil flash hider.  However the ATF has ruled that the threads 'don't exist' if are permanently covered by something legal (cap or brake).  They have ruled that permenent means welded, soldered with 1100degree plus sodler, or blind pinned.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top