Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 10/23/2004 10:12:08 AM EST
My high-school is a polling place. My backpack has no less than 3 Bush stickers and 1 button on it.

Does that mean, if I weren't out that day (we have it as a holiday, saints be praised), I would have to take those stickers off, as would every dingus with a kerry/edwards button?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 10:13:42 AM EST
If you were going to be around the actual polling place. I think this might be one of those common sense situations.

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 10:17:11 AM EST
No political advertising within 100' of a polling place.
You could be breaking a federal law.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 11:26:38 AM EST

Originally Posted By MagKnightX:
My high-school is a polling place. My backpack has no less than 3 Bush stickers and 1 button on it.

Does that mean, if I weren't out that day (we have it as a holiday, saints be praised), I would have to take those stickers off, as would every dingus with a kerry/edwards button?

no electioneering within 100' of the polls. That includes stickers, pins, t-shirts, hats, pacards, etc etc.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:48:08 AM EST
Now, does that also apply at any point before or after election day?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:09:54 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/24/2004 6:12:04 AM EST by Amicus]
Generally speaking ...

According to VA law, the prohibited area for electioneering is 40 feet from the polling place. Here's the cite:

§ 24.2-604. Prohibited activities at polls; notice of prohibited area; presence of representatives of parties or candidates; simulated elections; penalties; neutral observers; news media.

A. During the times the polls are open and ballots are being counted, it shall be unlawful for any person (i) to loiter or congregate within 40 feet of any entrance of any polling place; (ii) within such distance to give, tender, or exhibit any ballot, ticket, or other campaign material to any person or to solicit or in any manner attempt to influence any person in casting his vote; or (iii) to hinder or delay a qualified voter in entering or leaving a polling place.

B. Prior to opening the polls, the officers of election shall post, in the area within 40 feet of any entrance to the polling place, sufficient notices which state "Prohibited Area" in two-inch type. The notices shall also state the provisions of this section in not less than 24-point type. The officers of election shall post the notices within the prohibited area to be visible to voters and the public.

Emphasis added.

Also, please note that these "exclusion zones" are state law, not federal. It is lawful in VA to have and display election materials on the property being used for a poll, but not within the exclusion zone.

I'm not a VA lawyer, but that's my take on it based on the version of the VA statutes I was able to find.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:14:59 AM EST

Originally Posted By Amicus:
Generally speaking ...

According to VA law, the prohibited area for electioneering is 40 feet from the polling place. Here's the cite:

§ 24.2-604. Prohibited activities at polls; notice of prohibited area; presence of representatives of parties or candidates; simulated elections; penalties; neutral observers; news media.

A. During the times the polls are open and ballots are being counted, it shall be unlawful for any person (i) to loiter or congregate within 40 feet of any entrance of any polling place; (ii) within such distance to give, tender, or exhibit any ballot, ticket, or other campaign material to any person or to solicit or in any manner attempt to influence any person in casting his vote; or (iii) to hinder or delay a qualified voter in entering or leaving a polling place.

B. Prior to opening the polls, the officers of election shall post, in the area within 40 feet of any entrance to the polling place, sufficient notices which state "Prohibited Area" in two-inch type. The notices shall also state the provisions of this section in not less than 24-point type. The officers of election shall post the notices within the prohibited area to be visible to voters and the public.

Emphasis added.

Also, please note that these "exclusion zones" are state law, not federal. It is lawful in VA to have and display election materials on the property being used for a poll, but not within the exclusion zone.

I'm not a VA lawyer, but that's my take on it based on the version of the VA statutes I was able to find.

Yup...as a former VA resident, I can tell you that all the signs and such for the various candidates have to be at least 40 feet away from the polls...it's kind of funny seeing all those signs as you walk toward the poll entrance, then they suddenly stop...there's like a "dead zone" around the doorway that is totally sign-free...
Top Top