Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2001 9:46:22 PM EDT
I've had a Norinco SKS since mid '93 or so, and originally decked it out with all kinds of cheapo doo-dads. Living in California at the time, laws soon dictated that I had to change some things on it. I had a folding stock, 30rd non-detachable magazine(that ended up detaching just fine -oops), muzzle brake, etc.

When the SKS became an "evil" rifle, I chose to configure it differently, rather than try to decypher all the retarded laws affecting my rifle. I got a standard style composite stock, a new receiver cover/scope mount, a 4X shorty scope, and a bipod. I also replaced the 30rd mag with the fixed 10rd it came with. Just to be super safe, making sure the rifle didn't have a chance to be evil, I even removed the front sight assembly since it contained the bayonet lug. I made a new muzzle brake that replaced the front sight.

I haven't shot this rifle in forever, it just doesn't excite me. It's not super accurate, and It seems like a pimped-out Metro or something.

Anyway, I'm an Arizona resident now, and my SKS will soon be making the journey to Free America.
My question is, What can I do with it here?

I've been told that it can't have a folding stock on it at all, I've been told I can have the folder on it if I don't add any other "evil" features, I've been told that "anything goes".

Ideally, I'd like to put the folder back on it, and hopefully use the 30rd magazine again too. I'm just not certain what's legal and what's not...
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 6:12:41 AM EDT
[#1]
If the rifle is a pre-89 import, you can do whatever you like to it - pistol grip, folding stock, bayonet, detachable mag, etc.

If the rifle is a post-89 import, then you may have to put a certain number of US parts in it to legally add "evil" features.

If you legally configured the rifle with a detachable magazine and evil features (legally meaning it's either a pre-89 import, or it's a post-89 import with proper US parts count) before 9/13/94, then it qualifies as a grandfathered pre-ban assault weapon, and can have the detachable magazine and folding stock and bayo lug and all the other goodies, in addition to the detachable mag.

Regardless, with the proper US parts content, it can have a folding stock and bayo lug and all that stuff as long as the magazine is not detachable, too.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 6:28:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 8:18:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Someone told me today that I could put the folding stock on it legally as long as I leave the Fixed 10rd magazine. He said that the fixed magazine excludes it from the ban.
Also that I don't need to worry about "evil features" since it wouldn't have a detachable mag. Apparently If I have the detachable magazine, I can only have one evil feature, but with a fixed mag of 10 rounds or less I'm OK.

Make any sense?
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 9:22:28 PM EDT
[#4]
That covers the 94 federal ban, treetop, but not the 1989 import ban restrictions.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 10:12:25 PM EDT
[#5]
woulndt adding a US made high cap mag and a us made folding stock count towards the parts limit since he had it in that config pre crime bill?
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 12:27:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 7:24:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I keep checking back here hoping that someone will say it's OK and tell me why, but NOPE.[:(]

Even though the answers are not what I wanted to hear, thank you guys for keeping me out of trouble.
I really wish there were a way to legally put the folder back on, does anyone have a link to the actual law saying NO so I can just forget about it?

Thanks.[:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top