Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2006 5:59:44 PM EDT
1987 Steyr Aug, 16.5 inch barrel, overall length from end to end is  26.5 inches. Legal?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:01:01 PM EDT
[#1]
who's selling it?  if it's an FFL i'd be willing to bet it's legal.  if it's a FTF, i'm not so sure.  i think it might need to be 34 inches, though i could be wrong
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:02:21 PM EDT
[#2]
not for sale, just need legal lenght description. thanks though.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:02:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
who's selling it?  if it's an FFL i'd be willing to bet it's legal.  if it's a FTF, i'm not so sure.  i think it might need to be 34 inches, though i could be wrong

Length means nothing by whos selling it. Its either the legal length, or it isnt. (I dont know the overall length it needs to be though)
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:04:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quick google search shows that 26" is the legal minimum length, so if it's 26.5", your good to go.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:07:08 PM EDT
[#5]
It would be legal in MI, but it would have to be registered. Any rifle over 26" but under 30" must be registered the same as a handgun.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:09:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Length means nothing by whos selling it. Its either the legal length, or it isnt. (I dont know the overall length it needs to be though)

My idea was that if a reputable FFL was selling it, he would not be selling an illegal firearm, and you could ask him exactally what the rules were.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:09:35 PM EDT
[#7]
A rifle needs to have a barrel at least 16 inches long, and OAL needs to be no less than 26". Shotguns must have a barrel at least 18" long, 26" OAL.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:12:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My idea was that if a reputable FFL was selling it, he would not be selling an illegal firearm, and you could ask him exactally what the rules were.

FFL is under the same laws as everyone else. You can own shorter yes, but "legal" minimum length is 26" no mater who sells it. FFL or FTF. But there are some FFL's that im sure sell illegal things, just cause there stupid.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top