Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 11/25/2003 8:52:31 AM EDT
Hi all,
I´m a German target shooter and hunter and new on this board. I have 2 DPMS AR15 along with several other rifles and handguns, mostly hunting rifles. Among them are a few nice toys like the HK SL8 and a DSA FAL in .308.
Background of my question is that I would like to bring my own rifle to the USA for hunting and training and I want to go sure that everything is right under the current law.
I have gone through the BATF website and made a web research but there are still some things not clear to me, perhaps you can help me out?

O.k., the first question may sound stupid: Why are AR15 and FAL clones still legal?
BATF says: "The term ´semiautomatic assault weapon´ means:
A)any of the firearms, or copies or duplicates of the firearms in any caliber, known as -
(iv) Colt AR15
(v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC
The text also says:
"It shall be unlawful for any person to assemble from imported parts any semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun which is identical to any rifle or shotgun prohibited from importation under section 925 (d) (3)..."
And
"It shall be unlawful for a person to manufacture, transfer , or posess a semiautomatic assault weapon"

So why are AR15 clones still manufactured? Is it because the rifles don´t have at least 2 of -
-folding stock
-a grenade launcher

If so, a DPMS AR 15 is still an AR 15 clone, isn´t it?
You can see my question, please correct me if I´m wrong.

My DPMS is marked "For Export Only". I think this is because it is manufactured after 1994 with new parts, right? Therefore it should be unlawful to temporary import it to the USA, right?

Regarding the DSA FAL clone I read an article in which the author said that the DSA rifles are not "assault weapons" because they have not more than 2 features mentioned above: a pistol grip and the ability to accept a detachable magazine.
What makes me wonder is that a DSA FAL looks exactly like the "real" full auto FN FAL???
Is a rifle an assault weapon if it´s a copy of the real thing AND has IN ADDITION 2 ore more unlawful features?

If so, my HK SL 8 should not be considered as an assault rifle because it has -just like the FAL- a pistol grip (with new stock) and a detachable magazine.
Therefore I should be able to bring the HK to the USA, of course only with 10 round magazines, right?

I thought, the German gun law is crazy but when I read the hundreds of BATF pages I come to the conclusion that the NFA is the birth of an insane mind.
I hope you´ll get rid of this stupid law in 2004!

Link Posted: 11/25/2003 9:21:09 AM EDT
Hey, Hey, HEY! Just park that logic bus right over there buddy! US firearm laws often do not follow logic. I'm guessing you probably will be able to bring your firearms into the US. Maybe a hassle, maybe not. You mentioned training, I'd check with some of the major training facilities for guidance, certainly they have run into this before. I'd also check with BATFE, US Customs, and the State where you will be staying. If they refer to any specific laws I'd take copies of those sections with me. You might run into someone who is not well versed in the law but wants to create a hassle. The firearms you mentioned should be fine (not full auto) and you should be able to bring in any mags you have. Be prepared as you leave the US to show you are taking out what you brought in so even if a truck runs over one of your mags, KEEP IT! Good luck
Top Top