Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/26/2001 4:46:24 PM EDT
Well I thought I had read most of the archives enough so that I was doing something that was legal but I am not so sure now and would like some opinions on this. Last week I sent my Olympic Arms upper to Calvary Arms to have a fake suppressor installed. I believe Shawn was going to mill the end of the barrel and then press on an A2 birdcage flash suppressor purely for decorative purposes at the end of the barrel. It would not have any flash suppressor capabilities because it would be lined up with the end of the barrel similar to the LEGP rifles. I didn't want a muzzle brake because those suckers are way too loud for my liking. Anyway a few minutes ago I am looking through The Maryland AR15 Shooters Site and saw this quote: "Flash supressor (or threads for one), bayonet lug, pistol grip, folding or telescoping stock, grenade launcher. Note the A1 & A2 flash supressors can also fire rifle grenades used by our NATO allies; as such they count as 2 devices on the list (flash supressor & grenade launcher). Any muzzle brake that has the same outer diameter as these Flash supressors are considered Grenade Launchers by the BATF and as such are prohibited on post ban AR-15s (verify with the manufacturer they have been approved by the BATF before putting one on your postban rifle!)." I am having a hard time interpreting this. I still have time to stop him from doing the job if it would be illegal to do. Please advise. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 4:57:29 PM EDT
Just tell him you want to be post-ban legal. That simple.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 5:09:11 PM EDT
SBR7_11 Yes I did tell him that in the letter I included with my upper. But what I am getting at is according to that quote, is a GI A2 birdcage still capable of launching a grenade if it is mounted as a fake suppressor flush with the end of the barrel. I guess that is what I am trying to find out for sure as I have no military experience so have no idea how a grenade launcher originally mounted to the gun anyway. Thanks for the help and I will give him a call to remind him of the post ban legal part.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 5:12:31 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 5:55:19 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 11:20:11 AM EDT
Just wanted to give those of you who may be thinking of doing the same thing an update. I talked to Shawn and he told me that the pressing on of the birdcage would effectively stretch it out to around 23.5 mm so legality wouldn't be a problem. Glad to hear that. I was a little nervous for a minute there. Thanks
Top Top