Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2001 2:15:06 PM EDT
I would really like to purchase an preban M4.  My only problem is I live in Iowa where select fire is an illegal "no-no".  Is there any way to modify the reciever as to eliminate the auto setting?  I don't plan to live in this state much longer so the change would have to be temperary.  

My only other option is to keep the weapon stored in Nebraska which allows select fire and is only 2 miles away.

Why do the governments have to make things so difficult for us?  Last time I checked, criminals were not obeying the gun laws anyway----old news, old bitching.

Thanks Guys
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 2:52:26 PM EDT
[#1]
There are no select-fire factory M4's which are legal for non-government entities to own, in any state.

A preban "M4gery" is usually built on a colt semi-auto AR-15 lower, with a colt factory M4 upper, if you can get one.  If the barrel is the correct 14.5", it either needs to have a long flash-hider permanently attached, or needs to be registered as a short-barreled rifle (assuming your state allows those?).

If you just want the look, several manufacturers make M4 type semi auto models which look like the real thing except they're:

1) semi auto
2) don't have the extended M4 feedramps
3) usually have a 16" M4 type barrel, not the original 14.5"

You can even get an M4 lookalike in post-ban with a fixed stock that looks like the telescoping stock, but doesn't collapse.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 2:56:16 PM EDT
[#2]
are u even sure its select fire? is it just a preban AR decked out to look like a M4
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 12:16:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I have seen MANY ads that advertise "preban M4" for sale.  They usually run in the $2200 price range.  Are you telling me that this is false advertisment?  

Even if I end up with a preban AR-15 lower and build up from that, that would be of no signifigance.

I have seen many 14.5" barrels for sale and some flash suppressors will bring it to legal length.

I guess it was a mistake to use the name "M4".  I would like a flat top upper and since I will not be adding a 203 to the rifle I don't really need the step down in the barrel.  Please forgive my ignorance--I'm still pretty new at this whole thing.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 8:34:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 2:23:34 PM EDT
[#5]
newbe,

Just so you will know, the term "pre-ban" is never associated with a "select-fire" weapon.  Machine guns are governed by the National Firearms Act and don't fall under the pre-ban/post-ban provisions of 18 USC 922 as it is discussed here and in the context we are using in most of our threads on this board.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top