Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2001 7:21:05 AM EDT
Is the "WAR ON DRUGS" a legal war? As in Congress aproved? I thought I remeber Regan signing something to do with it but cant remember what.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 8:01:10 AM EDT
[#1]
It's just a slogan, rhetoric.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 8:24:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I would hate fight a war while on drugs. Aiming would be a b*tch. Just Kidding.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 10:24:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks much
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 5:30:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Ruscue,

Not a war, however, you will find a lot here who dispute the [i]legality[/i] of federal agencies fighting the "war".  The commerce clause is the legal justification so sayeth the Sup. Court.  There have been a lot of debates here and in GD about whether this is constitutional.  Assuming that it is via the commerce clause, any criminal information or indictment filed in federal court must include a paragraph about how the illegal activity affected, somehow, interstate commerce.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 10:13:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 3:24:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I think the difference was the absence of a prohibition to begin with.  Neither the states nor the feds had laws banning alcohol, so the brainiacs federally legislated the ban.  In the case of the drug war, all kinds of legislation exists prohibiting sale, use and manufacturing, both state and federal.

Not commenting on the merits of the "war", just commenting on your question.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top