Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2003 1:54:20 AM EDT
I went to visit my brother-in-law today.  He just had his left teste removed due to cancer.  (At this point, all male readers' testicals have retreated into their abdominal cavity.)

Less than two weeks ago he noticed a slight tingling sensation.  Within in a week he knew something was wrong and set a doctor appointment and researched it on the web.  The morning of his appointment, he woke to find it twice the normal size and two days later, he had the surgery.

This is the most deadly form of cancer in men and the most easily treated if diagnosed early.

Doc said if he had waited another week he would have had to go through chemo and/or more radical surgery.

Bro-in-law's advice: get checked!  Either you, a doc, bed buddy, whoever.

On a lighter side-
I want to get him one of those kangaroo scrotum change purses and a couple of brass balls to keep inside.  My wife says that it would be too harsh and insinsitive.  Is she right?  I think he's got a pretty good sence of humor and has been very positive of the whole experience.

What do you think?
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 2:01:27 AM EDT
[#1]

What do I think?

Do it!

A friend of mine had the same thing happen a couple of years back. His was more advanced so he had to have chemo/radiation too. The prospect of this dang near scared him to death.

Losing his hair was kind of amusing. He had the most positive outlook all through the treatments. I firmly believe that a good attitude counts.

He's doing fine now.

And he got all of his hair back. The bastard!

Link Posted: 7/1/2003 2:03:14 AM EDT
[#2]
A few years ago I had started feeling a dull ache in my scrotum.  I immediately figure I had testicular cancer as it is most common in men my age.  Anyway I went to the DR and found that I have a vericos vein in there that causes the ache.  DR told me to check myself regularly for tumors and swelling.  Hope all is well for him!

The kangaroo sack is a good one BTW!
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 2:11:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd do the Kangaroo/Ball thing.  Women don't know what's funny when it comes Balls.  He'll have to laugh at it.  

Also, have him watch Tomcats (movie).  Jake Busey gets one of his removed in the movie, and it's hillarious.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 2:17:39 AM EDT
[#4]
My dad had 1 removed due to a hernia, & sometimes I call him ol 1 nut. He always laughs. The roo bag, & brass is a funny idea. Do it. He will know you care.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:50:44 AM EDT
[#5]
A good friend of mine had this surgerey, on the same side.  He claimed that Ray Charles wrote a song about him.
"You got the right one, babv"
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:13:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A good friend of mine had this surgerey, on the same side.  He claimed that Ray Charles wrote a song about him.

"You got the right one, babv"
View Quote

I will pass that on as well!
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:31:54 AM EDT
[#7]
You want to see an incredible survival story - look at Lance Armstrong.

He had nut cancer that hit his brain in no time flat.  It boggles the mind that the only thing that could scare some people more than buying it from cancer is the prospect of some strange Dr. feeling his balls.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 12:13:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Lance Armstrong kicks ass!
And unlike Greg LeMond, the French can't claim him as a national hero when an American wins their own premier bike race.

I watched a show about him on Biography.  I'll have to get a copy of it to the b-i-l so he can see just how bad his ordeal could have been.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 12:28:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'd do the Kangaroo/Ball thing. [blue] Women don't know what's funny when it comes Balls.[/blue]  He'll have to laugh at it.  

Also, have him watch Tomcats (movie).  Jake Busey gets one of his removed in the movie, and it's hillarious.
View Quote

He only has one nut, he practically [b]is[/b] a woman now.
j/k [:D]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 2:06:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Get the sack.  Just get one ball, though.  Tell him you took Eminem's advice and got it pickled and bronzed.
Women are kinda clueless when it comes to recovery.  My buddy got his arm severed off in a car accident.  I wanted to bring him a book to read in the hospital and his wife was against it.  I showed up at the hospital, handed him the book and said, "One of these days, you are going to have to deal with this.  May as well be today."
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 3:15:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Did they give him a fake ball to go in there?

(Kinda like a glass eye to fill the empty socket)
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:16:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Been there...the scary part was the urgency of the docs..I saw the GP @ 9:00, urologist at 9:30, onocologist at 11:00 and surgeon at 12:00.  The appointments were all made by the receptionist at each office and the surgery was two days later.  

After surgery I went through chemo for 6 weeks and the markers decreased better than expected.  I'm not out of the woods yet and get regular bloodwork done to be sure.

I didn't get the prosthetic installed as my insurance wouldn't cover it...trust me, we all have a sense of humor, some a very sick sense.  I don't care to be cut open again just so righty won't be lonely.  Besides, the phony would just take precious room.  And I offer a 1/2 size target for a P.O.ed girlfriend...DIVE RIGHT!

Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:35:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

(Kinda like a glass eye to fill the empty socket)
View Quote

I belive they are called "nuticles" (I'm not kidding)
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:41:06 AM EDT
[#14]
LA's chemo was a type that would not do as much damage to his lungs.

His doctor had the attitude that not only are you going to beat this cancer, you are going to ride professionally again.

The doctor's attitude transfered to LA, and the rest is history.

His book is called "It's Not About The Bike"

I recommend you or your brother in law get a copy, and do a hard read reference the chemo.

Jay
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:48:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Just get him a set of these for his car and he'll forget all about it.

[url]www.bumpernuts.com[/url]

[img]http://www.bumpernuts.com/images/pic3.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:20:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Been five years post-op with a continued clean bill of health!

The most amazing aspect was the incision located at the lower left aspect of the abdomen to get at the testicle. They want to get ALL of the veins, arteries, vesicles and nerves to limit the chance of further spread.

I have never had so many people interested in my left nut before!
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 11:39:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
quote]

No "fake ball."  He says the less weight down there the better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top