Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2003 7:53:14 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/1/2003 8:06:42 PM EST by GlockBoy]
One is prompted to ask what caliber of shooter would be required to commit the assassination alone as described above. Simulative tests conducted by the Commission, while deficient, are quite illuminating. The Commission's test firers were all rated as "Master" by the National Rifle Association (NRA); they were experts whose daily routines involved working with and shooting firearms. In the tests, three targets were set up at 175, 240, and 365 feet respectively from a 30-foot-high tower. Each shooter fired two series of three shots, using the C2766 rifle. The men took 8.2, 6.7, and 4.6 seconds respectively for the first series and 7.0, 6.4, and 5.1 for the second. In the first series, each man hit his first and third targets but missed the second. Results varied on the next series, although in all cases but one, two targets were hit. Thus, in only two cases were the Commission's experts able to fire three aimed shots in under 5.6 seconds as Oswald allegedly did. None scored three hits, as was demanded of a lone assassin on November 22. These tests would suggest that three hits within such a short time span, if not impossible, would certainly have taxed the proficiency of the most skilled marksman. In his testimony before the Commission, Ronald Simmons spoke first of the caliber of shooter necessary to have fired the assassination shots on the basis that only two hits were achieved: Here arises the crucial question: Was Lee Harvey Oswald a "proficient man with this weapon," with "considerable experience" in his background? While in the Marines between 1956 and 1959, Oswald was twice tested for his performance with a rifle. On a scale of expert-sharpshooter-marksman, Oswald scored two points above the minimum for sharpshooter on one occasion (December 1956) and only one point above the minimum requirement for marksman on another (May 1959) -- his last recorded score. Colonel A. G. Folsom evaluated these scores for the Commission: http://www.ratical.org/ratville/JFK/PG/PGchp9.html
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:58:36 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/1/2003 7:59:04 PM EST by DScottHewitt]
IIRC, Oswald was a SouthPaw. So, theoretically he physically could have fired the Carcano pretty rapidly by using his right hand to work the bolt and left hand to fire. That being, I believe the [b]PEOPLE[/b] who removed Kennedy will never be apprehended..... Scott
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 8:00:19 PM EST
As anyone who has read my posts for any length of time can attest to, I am not a man disposed to believe in conspiracy theories. But I simply do not believe Oswald carried out the JFK assassination alone. I don't know who DID do it, and I certainly don't believe in Oliver Stone's Murder-on-the-Orient-Express BS (where EVERYONE killed JFK) but I do think there was someone else involved.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 8:02:17 PM EST
Originally Posted By DScottHewitt: IIRC, Oswald was a SouthPaw. So, theoretically he physically could have fired the Carcano pretty rapidly by using his right hand to work the bolt and left hand to fire. That being, I believe the [b]PEOPLE[/b] who removed Kennedy will never be apprehended..... Scott
View Quote
I would think that it would slow him down. The least dominate hand is doing the more complex action.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 8:39:45 PM EST
first, I'm making the link active [url]http://www.ratical.org/ratville/JFK/PG/PGchp9.html[/url] next, I'll say it was definately a good read. I've never really thought too much about the assassination, but from reading that either he didn't act alone or he didn't do it at all. however, I'll honestly say that it makes me want to go shooting more, just because I've really been out of practice lately. as for the southpaw thing ... I'm right handed, and it's really not too hard for me to operate the bolt on my friend's turkish mauser by reaching over the rifle with my left hand, keeping my right hand on the grip, and maintaining target awareness (though the target is never really kept in the sights). so I can't imagine it to be too terribly difficult for a leftie to do it, since he wouldn't even have to reach over the rifle.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 9:21:41 PM EST
I spent a semester researching the assasination with a professor who has been researching it for 20+ years. We all had to come to our own conclusion but the conclusion most of us came to was that it would be impossible to fire the rounds as quick as he did. IIRC between the first and second shot there is less than a second, 8/10th or something. An acoustic analysis of a tape, I can't recall the name of it now, but its a tape from a police radio channel that a motorcycle policemen had left open, scientifically proved with a very high probability that at least one shot came from another location than the book depository. If you've ever worked the bolt on an old Mauser you know that the spring is heavy and gives resistance as you push it into battery try doing that quickly while compensating for muzzle rise, following a moving, albeit slowly, target and being nervous as all hell. The 6.5x55 round is a ballistically beautiful round with a very flat trajectory, the new .260 is actually based off of it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 9:28:11 PM EST
I do not give into conspiracy theories myself, but I also do not believe the lone gunman theory. Not to say that this was a conspiracy, I just think that one man took the fall for more.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 9:54:52 PM EST
The first shot was a miss. The second shot was the "magic bullet", and the third shot the head shot. The claimed 5.6 seconds was from the trigger pull on the second shot to the trigger pull on the third shot. The overall time for all three shots was about eight seconds. A lefty can rest the forend on the sill, use his left hand for the trigger, and operate the bolt with his right hand. see [url]http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/faq.txt[/url] for a good discussion of various consipiracy theories.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 9:56:25 PM EST
Over the years I have tried to read everything I could about the Kennedy assassination. I had read in more than one place that the scope on that rifle was mounted so poorly, that it could not be sighted in for the test firing. They ran out of clicks. They had to remove and reinstall the scope mount in order to be able to zero the scope. THEN they did the tests. If that was true, then that rifle was not capable of hitting anything except by accident.
Top Top