Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/19/2004 2:59:40 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/19/2004 3:09:40 AM EST by macro]
ANGER MODE ON:

In the last 24 hours I have read news articles about how this kid is having a comic book made about him, and now garorade is making a new flavor based on him...this on top of the biggest sneaker contract ever written...so, can someone tell me exactly what this kid had done that is so great?

He has played one mediocre year.
His career so far has been all hype.
I see more media pictures of this guy at hollywood premieres, with celebrities, and in commercials, than I do of him winning games.

This kid has a high school education that served primarily as a backdrop to his basketball studies, and now makes more money in a year than most of us could make in 10 years working 2 jobs. (for the record I have a degree in electrical engineering and make less in one year than he makes playing a single game in the NBA)

Can anyone here explain to me what is so fkn great about this kid?
He's no Michael Jordan, the fact that he is wearing #23 is an insult.
I always thought that you had to earn your stripes in this world....
apparently that is not the case if you are a slightly above average athelete / media darling.

Am I wrong? Maybe im just pissed off that our mens basketball team made a joke of themselves in the olympics - and maybe if the original people picked to play weren't more interested in smoking weed, playing video games, and defending themselves in criminal trials, the USA team could have competed.

Wake up people - these guys arent role models....they are really, really lucky, and thats about it.
I dont care how good of an athelete a person is....no one deserves millions of dollars to play a game, not under any circumstance. If you are the best basketball play to ever breathe air, you still shouldnt be valued in society, because that skill is irrelevant.

I really wish that instead of these asshole pro atheletes going over to Iraq to sign autographs for our guys, they would just stay home and donate a games paycheck to a unit...its one game, no big deal to them - would change the life of the average soldier ( I know it cant happen but it pisses me off)....consider this.....take the 5 best players in a pro sport - take the 5 best special ops guys from your favorite armed force - why does the best athelete, that does NOTHING for society, make 1000 times the salary of a seal or ranger that is helping to change the course of history for mankind? WTF!!!

Hey Lebron - Shaq - Kobe, want real respect? want to earn something?

Two words - PAT TILLMAN (NFL star that broke a multi-million dollar contract to become a Ranger - now dead - KIA in Afghanistan)

ANGER MODE OFF:

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:34:06 AM EST
there's a lot of money to be made in selling hope to the masses. it's what a lot of people need, and want, to distract them from the harshness of reality.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:36:39 AM EST
I was just thinking about this same type of thing last night. If you can be a rock star or rap star, or play football or basketball, you have it made. If it makes you feel better, most of these people waste their millions away and end up with nothing after a few years.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:39:39 AM EST
He has the best business agent alive......................

lucky kid
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:13:27 AM EST
The NBA is getting like pro wrestling, and the NFL isn't far behind. It's all about individuals hyping themselves at the expense of the sport. Bunch of thugs.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:16:59 AM EST
Professional basketball is in the middle of a long, slow goodbye.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:41:44 AM EST
theres much better player in the NBA that could/should have gone to athens...iverson? WTF shitbag thug. the ricans used them like a rag because they played as a TEAM.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:46:01 AM EST
Haven;t watched the NBA since... well... I never watched it.

It just isnt exciting. Professional soccer is the only game i'll watch.

- BUCC_Guy
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:46:24 AM EST
who?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:56:32 AM EST
The NBA has needed someone to get behind since Michael Jordan. The add companies need someone like Jordan to draw product money.

Thus if they can't find someone with Jordan's talent, then they will just make one up.

IE Lebron James.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:21:56 AM EST

He has played one mediocre year.
His career so far has been all hype.
I see more media pictures of this guy at hollywood premieres, with celebrities, and in commercials, than I do of him winning games.

Well lets see, he is a rookie show me one rookie that has played at a superstar level year. NBA is alot different then HIGH SCHOOL!! This kid is what 19? Look at pics of KG or Kobe when they were 19, LeBron is huge compared to those guys.

This kid has a high school education that served primarily as a backdrop to his basketball studies, and now makes more money in a year than most of us could make in 10 years working 2 jobs. (for the record I have a degree in electrical engineering and make less in one year than he makes playing a single game in the NBA)

People pay alot of money to see you play. Millions in fact. Who deserves the cash? Ofcourse the shoe thing was a huge competition from the shoe companies. He is selling himself. Seems you don't really like the capitalist system.

Am I wrong? Maybe im just pissed off that our mens basketball team made a joke of themselves in the olympics - and maybe if the original people picked to play weren't more interested in smoking weed, playing video games, and defending themselves in criminal trials, the USA team could have competed.

Wake up people - these guys arent role models....they are really, really lucky, and thats about it.
I dont care how good of an athelete a person is....no one deserves millions of dollars to play a game, not under any circumstance. If you are the best basketball play to ever breathe air, you still shouldnt be valued in society, because that skill is irrelevant.

You don't like NBA. OK don't watch it. Go watch basket weaving if you want to.

I really wish that instead of these asshole pro atheletes going over to Iraq to sign autographs for our guys, they would just stay home and donate a games paycheck to a unit...its one game, no big deal to them - would change the life of the average soldier ( I know it cant happen but it pisses me off)....consider this.....take the 5 best players in a pro sport - take the 5 best special ops guys from your favorite armed force - why does the best athelete, that does NOTHING for society, make 1000 times the salary of a seal or ranger that is helping to change the course of history for mankind? WTF!!!

You think soldiers should be paid more? Why don't you push you representatives to raise taxes and hold Halliburton and others to be more fiscally resonsable? Don't want to pay those soldiers high wages out of your pocket?

Two words - PAT TILLMAN (NFL star that broke a multi-million dollar contract to become a Ranger - now dead - KIA in Afghanistan)

Yep he is great. Actually Shaq said he doesn't understand why they don't have trading cards for all those guys instead of himself.
Top Top