Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2008 1:21:42 PM EDT
I just finished reading through the "Lessons learned..." thread (http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=132&t=310984) and it answered a lot of questions about my (first) upcoming deployment to Iraq.  I had also posted over at the Guns Community on livejournal.com asking for suggestions on what to take.

Received some pretty good information there too (mostly about optics because that is what I was primarily asking about).  Today I received a reply however that said, "Don't take anything...because if you do customs will take it all away from you...personal items are not allowed in theater".

Has anyone else heard of this happening?
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 8:34:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, but it usually depends on what location you are going to. Some places are harsher with the GO1A than others. Stuff like sights shouldn't be a problem, but uppers tend to be the problem (Think "weapons parts").
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 9:06:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not taking any weapons parts, other than a knife.

Just the optics, holster, and some other tac gear.  My concern is that I just traded my EOtech 551 in for a 556...and thats an expensive bit of kit to lose to an over-zealous customs agent.
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 9:47:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Pack the weapon sight in with your weapon.  The other gear is not a problem anyway.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 8:45:36 PM EDT
[#4]
i saw your a 37, im a 38 but listen to me anyway! just put it in your pocket if youre worried about it at customs. no one checks your person
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:41:39 AM EDT
[#5]
You are a 38?  Doesn't that mean you are supposed to pay me to listen to you?  Or promise me water or something?

I'm still not sure what is going on with it.  My detachment SGT doesn't think its an issue, but if I'm really worried about it he's sure the CC will give me a waiver (now if I could just get him to give me a waiver to carry a .45).
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:55:18 AM EDT
[#6]
what the hells a promise? you dont know 38s very well! its not an issue man, mine went over and came back fine!
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:38:46 AM EDT
[#7]
2x over and back- no problems with any of my gear including my EOTech....

you'll be good- and there is a lot easier then back- if you're really worried go down to the post office and ship it home with the other milion things you'll accumulate while you're in country

-Roth
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:18:46 AM EDT
[#8]
what the hells a promise

Man I wish the CA folks I went to AIT with had that attitude.

I'm keeping the gear pretty light, my optics, CQC holster, books, helmet light (surefire), a couple of three legged chairs, some IR squeeze lights, and a first aid kit with some isreali bandages and some north american torniquts.  Oh and batteries for the optics and the light.

At least that is all I'm planning on at this point in time.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:57:41 PM EDT
[#9]
anything i brought for my weapon rode my weapon back to the states where i stripped it before turning it in.

i had a glock knife somebody sent me that i put in my tacbox in the connex, everyone just got memorandums for the knives and they had to be put in the connex.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:52:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Good to know daemon734!  Thank you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top