Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2004 1:52:28 PM EDT
Tomorrow I get up bright and early and drive to Camp Ashland, NE for PLDC.  It is a 2 week leadership course.  I pretty much have everything packed and ready, does anyone have any tips, and what should I expect out of the course?  Is it like basic training?  I hope not, after 14 wks at Benning for OSUT Infantry school, I would rather not see a repeat of it!  BTW- I am a SPC in a team leader position in my NG unit.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 1:55:55 PM EDT
[#1]
It's about as much like basic as it can be with actual soldiers.

Lot's of PT and shoeshining. Kinda lame actually if you come from an 11series background. Maybe if you were a cook or something...
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 2:02:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you Reserve or National Guard?  Which MOS?  Damn, I wish you'd asked earlier.  Might have been able to help ya a little bit more.

You have a packing list, right?  
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 2:14:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I am National Guard, 11B MOS.  Yes, I have a packing list, and have 99% of it.  If they send me home for not having 2 cargo straps, so be it.  The supply guy left early when I was at the armory the other day, so i kinda got screwed.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 2:21:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok, so I'm a complete retard and didn't read the entire post.  I shoulda learned that one in 3rd grade.

I went in 1994.  If it's anything like when I went:

Hope you studied up your land navigation.  We spent nearly a week of the two weeks on map reading and land nav.  Since you're Infantry, that shouldn't be a problem.

If you're in any kind of physical shape, the PT will be a joke.  They're testing your ability to LEAD physical training, not your ability to do pushups.  You'll have to pass an APFT, but the day-to-day pt is nothing difficult.

If you prove proficient at map reading, be ready to spend after-hours assisting other (combat service support) soldiers who can't read a map to save their lives.  Do it.  The instructors will expect team-work from you, particularly as an Infantryman, particularly if you expect to be a leader.

If you have a fear of public speaking, get over it.  You'll teach several classes while you're there.  If you get to pick the subject, pick something you REALLY know (I got lucky and got the claymore class).  They're not grading you on how well you can set up a claymore, they're grading you on how well you can teach tasks to soldiers.

Don't talk about how much you know, SHOW them how much you know.  BE the leader.

Make sure you take an Army Values card.  I've seen some of the Reserve and National Guard send soldiers home for showing up without one.

Best of luck!
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 2:27:59 PM EDT
[#5]
He pretty much covered it. Just remember to take charge when nessasary and dont pick on the soft skill MOS'es to much.
        FREE

Quoted:
Ok, so I'm a complete retard and didn't read the entire post.  I shoulda learned that one in 3rd grade.

I went in 1994.  If it's anything like when I went:

Hope you studied up your land navigation.  We spent nearly a week of the two weeks on map reading and land nav.  Since you're Infantry, that shouldn't be a problem.

If you're in any kind of physical shape, the PT will be a joke.  They're testing your ability to LEAD physical training, not your ability to do pushups.  You'll have to pass an APFT, but the day-to-day pt is nothing difficult.

If you prove proficient at map reading, be ready to spend after-hours assisting other (combat service support) soldiers who can't read a map to save their lives.  Do it.  The instructors will expect team-work from you, particularly as an Infantryman, particularly if you expect to be a leader.

If you have a fear of public speaking, get over it.  You'll teach several classes while you're there.  If you get to pick the subject, pick something you REALLY know (I got lucky and got the claymore class).  They're not grading you on how well you can set up a claymore, they're grading you on how well you can teach tasks to soldiers.

Don't talk about how much you know, SHOW them how much you know.  BE the leader.

Make sure you take an Army Values card.  I've seen some of the Reserve and National Guard send soldiers home for showing up without one.

Best of luck!

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 3:24:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Speaking as a "soft skills MOS" guy who went through PLDC in '95 - The only real advantage 11 series troops had over anyone else was a bit more familiarity w/ land nav (terrain association - learn it & live it :) ).  The fastest time  in the land nav course for my class was by a support person, btw.

Unless things have changed, PT on day 1 (make sure you are within height/weight regs - saw a pretty good guy go home because he was over by a pound or so).  The following week is primarily book stuff - lots of manuals, then a few days of land nav, then a brief FTX (this is where you taught your classes when I went).  Practice your presentations w/ your peers - know all the factors that go along w/ whatever  skill you're teaching (i.e. - Use an Automated SOI - the troops have to know how to properly use a Radio to get a go, not just use the SOI).

Make sure your uniforms are tailored to regs, including all patches/awards/etc... that you are authorized.  Make sure you have the right number of uniforms (they let us slide on the field equipment - they issued everything except web gear/helmet & sleeping bag).

I had a pretty good time - learned a lot.

Sam
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 3:44:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Congrats
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:20:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Good luck!
If they give you any free time give me a yell. I'm only 20 miles or so from there and I'll buy the beer.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:25:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Good luck!
If they give you any free time give me a yell. I'm only
20 miles or so from there and I'll buy the beer.

Not sure if it's changed any, but I doubt that he'll be allowed anywhere near the bar until the
night before graduation, or so. Or at least that's how they handled it with us.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:11:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Two weeks???!!!!  Mine in RA at Ft. Hood was a month.

jd1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top