Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/28/2004 8:51:18 AM EST
LOL...my pup sits as commanded when its time to go on her leash, but she wont get up to walk
She just sits there and refuses to move. Any tips on leash training this girl?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:54:23 AM EST
My mistress says that the "heel" command works pretty good.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:58:52 AM EST

Originally Posted By Dolomite:
My mistress says that the "heel" command works pretty good.

Ya, but she had to beat your ass red to make you understand the command
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:08:02 AM EST
The Koehler Method of Dog Training

Put the choke chain on the pup and take it for a drag. She MUST understand that you are the master, she is the dog, and you are smarter and more willful than she is.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:09:39 AM EST
taser?

tannerite?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:16:51 AM EST
Put the leash on her and just wait her out. Just stand there and after a while she will want to get up and go somewhere. I read in some dog training book the longest a dog could hold out for was less than 15 minutes.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:19:36 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/28/2004 9:21:29 AM EST by taptap]
use a choker leash, put it on her in the house and let her drag it around. Leave it on all the time until she gets used to it.

When going out for a walk use a treat (uncooked hotdogs work good) to entice her along at first. Lots of rewards and positive re-enforcement will solve it quickly.

When she tugs / pulls / jumps while walking, 'pop' her, let her take some slack and give it a good stout yank to halt her in place, then continue walking at your desired pace.

edit: don't drag her - thats only going to lead to problems.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:20:20 AM EST

Originally Posted By ghengiskhabb:
The Koehler Method of Dog Training

Put the choke chain on the pup and take it for a drag. She MUST understand that you are the master, she is the dog, and you are smarter and more willful than she is.

LMAO.......I tried that. The little ho will let you choke her out before she will let you lead her. Im going to buy a book. Keep the ideas coming just for the fun of it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:21:00 AM EST

Originally Posted By manghu67:
taser?

tannerite?

Are you NUTS. Im not a cop.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:24:23 AM EST
Nothing and I mean nothing will motivate a dog to learn and obey like electric shocks. Most of the time it only takes one or two corrections to make the animal believe it is best to obey you.

Try a cattle prod or stun gun.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:25:26 AM EST
always teach the dog to walk on your left. when they try to walk too fast, a yank and the heel command to bring them back to your side. they'l get it after a while. consistency is key.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:27:51 AM EST

Originally Posted By AUT_BELLUM:
always teach the dog to walk on your left. when they try to walk too fast, a yank and the heel command to bring them back to your side. they'l get it after a while. consistency is key.

I have always hear they are supposed to walk on your left, any special reason? I always have my dog walk on the right.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:30:03 AM EST
DO NOT use a choke collar.

DO use a corection collar, aka pinch collar.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:40:25 AM EST

Originally Posted By mcgrubbs:
DO NOT use a choke collar.

DO use a corection collar, aka pinch collar.

They both work fine.

The key is to give a quick "pop", instead of a gradual "pull". Pulling will choke them but a light "pop" gets their attention but soesn't hurt them.

Used this technique on all 3 of my dogs and it works great (after learning it in obedience classes). BTW, 2 of my dogs are JRT's - if it works on these stubborn K9's, it'll work on any dog.

Last case scenrio, use a muzzle trainer (not sure if that's the correct name or not).
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:41:16 AM EST
With every pup ive had i put the leash on and let it playin the house with it so they get used to the leash being there
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:50:55 PM EST
Kooter, come ON!!! if the dog lead is in your right hand, just who is carrying your fine old Holland & Holland side-by-side ? You know damn well you sent the "gunboy" back to fetch the tonic that you forgot again. For those of us that are left-handed...may I suggest hunting with a lunatic Springer Spaniel who is already so crazy that he doesn't care which side he heels on. Seriously, my Springer was taught to heel on the left even though I'm a leftie, in case he hunts with someone else. The idea was originally for the dog to be safer from an AD. Stay safe
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:56:55 PM EST
Leash pop method is what I use.

Power should only be used as a last resort. If this dog is not a working dog, there is no reason you could'nt try the hot dog method either.

Make sure your leash pops are associated with a verbal command. (the eqivalent of "No!) In the future, any corrections can be done via simple verbal command, and secondary violations corrected with a leash pop.....
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:57:58 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:01:11 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/28/2004 7:04:12 PM EST by dave223]
Well, I bought a pinch collar today and a couple of books. I tried some basic stuff with her using the new collar today. She is fine with the pop and follow three steps routine, but to actually get her to walk with me ........its gonna be awhile.

ETA....she is a border collie.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:02:26 PM EST

Originally Posted By raven:
www.indybay.org/uploads/l4.jpg

LMMFAO.........I love this site.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:42:12 AM EST
She also neeeds to find out that going for walks is enjoyable as is going for rides. If all that happens when she gets the leash and/or gets in the car/truck means a trip to the Vet and shots. A lot of dogs get only bad experiences for a while while pups. Separation from Mom, separation from litter mates, trips to the Vet, new big people, leashes.

Giver her a little time, and don't use too much aversion training while young. I got a ("rescued") dog that was so screwed up by her aversion training whe had to be taught to jump and she will bark at people or other dogs if they are doing something "wrong". You ever see a dog try to bark a person out for doing something wrong?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:42:59 AM EST
Just wanted to re-iterate that we are big believers in the pinch collar.

We have a 21month old Bulldog. If you know anything about them, you know that their stubborness is amazing. They only work, or learn, when THEY want to.

Moving on..... We were at my inlaws' horse farm this past weekend for their big horse sale. There were approx. 200-250 people there. The pinch collar went on, as well as the leather leash.*
Then we just dropped the leash for him to drag along.

He worked the entire day on verbal or silent (hand) commands. This includes come, heel, sit, down, stay, jump, etc..... I had people freaking out over how well he worked and behaved. Especially when I work him strictly on silent commands.

Moral of the story: A well trained dog is a thing to see!

* We only use a good quality leather leash. They are simply the best. We actually use a split rein that most working hands use to ride a horse. This gives us two leashes for $20 each time we buy a new set.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:03:13 AM EST
Bitch School (Spinal Tap)

You been bad
Don't do what I say.
You don't listen.
And you never obey.
Try to teach you.
But you just won't be good.
You won't behave the way
A big girl should.
It's time to give the whip a crack.
I'm gonna have to send you back to
Bitch School.
Bitch School.

You're a beauty.
You're the best of your breed.
You're a handful.
And I know what you need.
You need training.
Gonna bring you to heel.
I'm gonna break you with my will of steel.
Discipline's my middle name.
And no one comes back the same from
Bitch School.
Bitch School.

No more sniffling strangers, or running free at night.
You think my bark's bad, honey - wait till you feel my bite.

You got problems.
You whine and you beg.
When I'm busy,
You wanna dance with my leg.
I'm gonna chain you.
Make you sleep out of doors.
You're so fetching when you're down on all fours.
And when you hear your master,
You will come a little faster, thanks to
Bitch School.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:10:46 AM EST
Another bump for pinch collars.

I've used them on 2 of our dogs now and they work great. In fact, last week I bought one for my beloved little yappy dog. She's sharp as a tack and has learned everything I've taught her quite quickly, except for walking. I have no problem getting her to walk, it's her walking manners. Trying to drag my ass down the street. (she's about JRT sized, 10-11lbs) and barking her fool head off at people when she sees them.

I got her a pinch collar and within 75 yards of the front door she had the hang of walking without pulling me. And when she yaps, a little "pop" yank shuts her right up.

The collars look viscious and inhumane, but they actually aren't and they WORK. Better than "kick and growl" sessions.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:14:59 PM EST
Here's another vote for pinch collars. I have and have had Great Pyrenees for some time and these goobers are pretty strong and obstinate. Tighten up the old neck muscles and they can drag you with a choker pretty easily.
Read an article recently in regard to pinch/versus chokers and it seems that the pinch style collars do far less damage in the long run to your canine pard.

Aslo, I used a video tape of training instruction that a bud lent me that was very helpful. The series is title "Command Performance". I got a lot of milage with my dawgs with that. Can't recall the fellows name that produces them but do recommend them if you can find em. He's kind of semi annoying and dorky but his method works.

I tried the new "clicker" training for awhile with ol Woodrow and though it works it is sort of a pain and involves "treat" rewards which I don't really like to use often. I prefer emotional treats as in praise and scratchin'. Anyhow, went back to the aforementioned vid.

Good luck. Nothing more annoying than a dog with no manners or training. Well, actually there are many things more annoying but it is high on my list.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:01:39 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2004 7:10:40 PM EST by muddydog]
use a choke chain.

the release of the chain when it is slipped...will encourage the dog to heel...with you. make sure the dog has the appropriate amount of slack in the lead.

i only use quality choke chains for beggining OB work on dogs and pups.

dogs over 40lbs automatically get a heavy duty pinch (prong) collar.

+1 for the Kohler method.
get the book..

every Pro Trainer i know, including myself- uses it verbatim...or a personal varient of it.

also, every trainer i know, including myself...have tried all the other methods...and this is the one that consistantly gets the results in a effecient manner..

one thing about pups...
we have to be really careful about when and where..you work with them.
they go thru very sensitive times..a week here...a week there...

but also..they have a very limited attention span and tire easily in simple things.

we keep pup training to 5-10 minutes...2x a day...of EVERYTHING.. we work on a heeling drills and get a few retrieves in, in less than 10 minutes..

this leaves the pup wanting more.....
#1 problem the average joe..has with a pup..
too much, too fast...

a pup will show promise, so the owner automatically adds to the curriculum.
bad timing..will cause it all to fail.

the best thing i can tell you is find a method...and STICK TO YOU PROGRAM..

get KOHLERS OB book...read it 2x...then get serious.
my apologies, if you have already tried any of it..

email me..with some specifics..of what you are doing now with the pup...and i'll trouble shoot. for you.
Top Top