Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2016 9:51:35 PM EST
I've just had this bluegrass itch for several years now and finally caved, so I picked up my first banjo today, a Washburn B9. Cheap enough that if I find I can't do it or don't like it, no big deal, but well enough equipped that it'll work fine as I improve.

I used to play guitar quite a bit. I was in a few bands and was good enough to generally take lead. Though I only fiddle around on the guitar nowadays.

Anyway, I've started learning some basic open rolls and I'm SLOWLY working up a lick of two of Foggy Mountain Breakdown and just generally trying to get the hang of the thing. The odd string layout really will really take some getting used to.

Does anyone have any tips for a reasonably musically inclined beginner?
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 9:56:44 PM EST
Cool! There's some decent looking how to videos on YouTube
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 10:00:51 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mk4dubbin:
Cool! There's some decent looking how to videos on YouTube
View Quote

YouTube has been my sole source of banjo lessons so far. It's been super helpful.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 10:03:44 PM EST
Clawhammer or GTFO!

JK, fellow picker here. Online tutorials really help, but practicing rolls does get pretty monotonous. 
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 10:03:50 PM EST
Banjo is playing guitar in open G tuning. Look up open G tuning chords
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 10:05:24 PM EST
Keep your pinky and ring finger planted on the head and don't let the other fingers get too far out of position. Start with chord changes and strumming, C, D7, EM, F, D and play stupid simple stuff like, good night ladies and boil them cabbage down etc. From there Wildwood flower and worried man blues. Practice.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 10:25:28 PM EST
Originally Posted By BIGSHOVEL:
Keep your pinky and ring finger planted on the head and don't let the other fingers get too far out of position. Start with chord changes and strumming, C, D7, EM, F, D and play stupid simple stuff like, good night ladies and boil them cabbage down etc. From there Wildwood flower and worried man blues. Practice.
View Quote

I think I put in about an hour of practice today.

But, yes, I've been keeping an eye on my ring and pinky finger and trying to practice good habits. I honestly haven't given much serious thought to practicing chords though. I'll implement that into my routine from now on. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 10:27:30 PM EST
I got a banjo. It's infuriating. In for advice
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 10:28:23 PM EST
I'd like to learn a new instrument. Banjo, fiddle, etc.. they both sound so freaking cool.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 10:29:35 PM EST
I have a serious itch to play banjo. Must be a Georgia thing.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 10:38:53 PM EST
Additionally, up picking can be fun also. Don't get hung up on just bluegrass. It's a nice break.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 10:41:45 PM EST
Here's some inspiration for y'all...

Link Posted: 12/15/2016 10:43:09 PM EST
check this out
Black dog
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 10:45:19 PM EST
Originally Posted By philspel:
I have a serious itch to play banjo. Must be a Georgia thing.
View Quote

I lived almost my whole life in the blue ridge mountains (TN side). But it wasn't till moving to GA that I got interested in bluegrass. Weird.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 10:47:36 PM EST
Weird indeed. I moved here last year from Oklahoma.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 10:48:43 PM EST
Good luck, I always thought it would be cool to learn.
Unfortunately the best I could probably ever do with one would be to follow Bob from the 70's shows advice:

I am limited by my short stubby fingers.... LOL
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 10:51:21 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/15/2016 10:51:49 PM EST by Huffskies]
Looking at banjo music on youtube... this video makes me want to see this movie and learn to play banjo.

Probable Spoiler

Link Posted: 12/15/2016 10:54:41 PM EST
Check out Dave Hum on you tube, he was the best. RIP Dave.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 10:54:43 PM EST
Practice your perfect pitch..

.... Toss your banjo out of a window into a dumpster, and nail an accordion on the way down.

Link Posted: 12/15/2016 11:03:25 PM EST
Learn where the melody notes are on the fret board.  Then learn to play melodies wrapped in rolls.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 11:05:02 PM EST
Originally Posted By BIGSHOVEL:
Check out Dave Hum on you tube, he was the best. RIP Dave.
View Quote

Holy shit, that dude is badass
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 11:06:46 PM EST
Learn your basic rolls (forward, backwards, and alternating). Next, watch YouTube (Channels like Sean Ray and Banjo Ben), get the Earl Scruggs banjo book, and try the Murphy Method to learn by ear. Songs like Cripple Creek, Fireball Mail, and Bile Them Cabbage Down are usually beginner songs. The ring finger does not have to stay planted but most try because that is how Scruggs did it. The main thing is to practice striking the strings square with the picks to get good tone. Also focus on how even and clean the notes sound when striking the strings. Bad habits can hinder your advancement so you may want to find a local musician that can give you pointers. Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 11:15:52 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/15/2016 11:17:04 PM EST by desertmoon]
Some VERY creative pickin' here:

[img width=640,height=480]/media/mediaFiles/no-thumb.jpg[/img]Oh, for God's sake...how are we supposed to link videos NOW?
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 11:17:23 PM EST
Clawhammer or GTFO.

Bluegrass band members wear uniforms, such as blue polyester suits and gray Stetson hats. Old Time bands wear jeans, sandals, work shirts and caps from seed companies.
OT songs are about whiskey and food. BG is about God, mother, and the girl who did you wrong.
BG bands never smile. OT bands smile if you give them a drink.
Women in BG bands have big hair, women in old time bands have big jiggly bits that look nice under her cover alls.
BG bands sing one octave higher than their natural voices. OT bands tend to not have singers at all.
A OT banjo weighs 5 lbs with the towel stuffed in the open back, a BG banjo weights 40 lbs and needs spinal infusion surgery tomstand strait.
An OT banjo player never stands, we sit, mostly due to us drinking all the time.
Point is, if you learn how to wear all that fancy girly jewlry on your fingers and have a resignator on your banjo, you're blue grass. If you're blue grass, you're a cuck.

Don't be a cuck. I play clawhammer/old time. I am not a cuck.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 11:17:56 PM EST
Originally Posted By desertmoon:
Some VERY creative pickin' here:
View Quote
Oh, for God's sake...how are we supposed to link videos NOW?
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 11:55:42 PM EST
Originally Posted By Blu3Ridge:
Clawhammer or GTFO.

Bluegrass band members wear uniforms, such as blue polyester suits and gray Stetson hats. Old Time bands wear jeans, sandals, work shirts and caps from seed companies.
OT songs are about whiskey and food. BG is about God, mother, and the girl who did you wrong.
Women in BG bands have big hair, women in old time bands have big jiggly bits that look nice under her cover alls.
BG bands sing one octave higher than their natural voices. OT bands tend to not have singers at all.
A OT banjo weighs 5 lbs with the towel stuffed in the open back, a BG banjo weights 40 lbs and needs spinal infusion surgery tomstand strait.
An OT banjo player never stands, we sit, mostly due to us drinking all the time.
Point is, if you learn how to wear all that fancy girly jewlry on your fingers and have a resignator on your banjo, you're blue grass. If you're blue grass, you're a cuck.

View Quote

I mightn't say it quite so strongly but as an Old Time/frailing banjo player I have to agree

I remember a three-finger style player telling me and my mentor he found it amazing how we got so many notes out of such a simple technique
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 12:09:09 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/16/2016 12:19:26 AM EST by BBFCM]
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 1:12:53 PM EST
Originally Posted By Blu3Ridge:
Clawhammer or GTFO.

View Quote

Is it really an either/or thing? Why can I not get both?
Top Top