Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2006 1:03:59 PM EDT
Heavy mathematical content - Stargate is explained mathematically under vm-Teleportation

www.fas.org/sgp/eprint/teleport.pdf

Requires Adobe PDF Reader
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:05:47 PM EDT
[#1]
thank you, looks like a good read.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:06:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:10:44 PM EDT
[#3]
One section covers quantum entanglement communication experiments - they were able to communicate between a receiver and transmitter over 600 meters with no signal loss whatsoever - perfect fidelity, even though there were objects between the two.  -Theoretically- you could use such a device for instantaneous communication between two points -no matter the distance between them-.  You could have one device here, the other 14 billion light years away, and have instantaneous communication.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:34:46 PM EDT
[#4]
tag
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:12:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Looks like a fun read.  I'll share it with my colleagues.

Any time I read about quantum communication, I am reminded that you must be VERY careful what your definition of "communication" is in that respect.  Some experimenters have claimed "communication" when the message was fully known before to both parties, and would not be discernable from ONLY the communication stream without previous knowledge of the message.

Perhaps this report includes something that goes beyond pre-known message transmission.

Jim
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:30:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:32:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Like I've been saying all along, Stargate:SG1 is just meant to desensitize us for when the USAF unveils the real SG project.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:35:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Damn, I've been going about it all wrong.

"We need to SPIN the slurpee cups, NOT crush them!  Oh, and stop using tape on our glasses and upgrade to leather pocket protectors!"
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:36:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Like I've been saying all along, Stargate:SG1 is just meant to desensitize us for when the USAF unveils the real SG project.

We can only hope.

Well, except for the part about the impending destruction of Earth at the hands of some malevolent alien force every other week or so.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:47:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We can only hope.

Well, except for the part about the impending destruction of Earth at the hands of some malevolent alien force every other week or so.

That is phase II of their revelation.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:50:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I remember reading in the book Hyperspace by physicist Michio Kachu that  group of physicists in California were given an end goal of a time machine and told to work backwards using General Relativity equations to see if it would be possible to construct, and they came up with a relatively simple solution that would be about the size of a small room; the only problems are the power requirements involved and it required the presence of what they called "exotic matter".  It is theoretically possible to build.  I believe that they published a book with their findings and the design plan.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:53:09 PM EDT
[#12]
It works because that is how the author wrote it.

RDA needs it to get the chicks, is the other reason.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:03:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I remember reading in the book Hyperspace by physicist Michio Kachu that  group of physicists in California .

I loved that book, despite the fact it sometimes, still, causes me to have somewhat sleepless nights.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:40:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Yeah, I can do a lot of really awesome shit, if you just grant me a limitless energy source.

When all I have to work with is a 12 volt car battery, my time machine is only going to go forward at 1 second per second.

Jim
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:46:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I remember reading in the book Hyperspace by physicist Michio Kachu that  group of physicists in California were given an end goal of a time machine and told to work backwards using General Relativity equations to see if it would be possible to construct, and they came up with a relatively simple solution that would be about the size of a small room; the only problems are the power requirements involved and it required the presence of what they called "exotic matter".  It is theoretically possible to build.  I believe that they published a book with their findings and the design plan.

If time travel was possible, they would have already developed it since all they would need to do is develop it at any time in the future, then bring it back and give it to themselves...
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:53:05 PM EDT
[#16]
The iris should be destroyed everytime it's closed and an event horizon occurs.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:54:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Yeah, I can do a lot of really awesome shit, if you just grant me a limitless energy source.

When all I have to work with is a 12 volt car battery, my time machine is only going to go forward at 1 second per second.

Jim

[Plays "Push it to the Limit"]

[/Plays "Push it to the Limit"]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:57:04 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

If time travel was possible, they would have already developed it since all they would need to do is develop it at any time in the future, then bring it back and give it to themselves...

Wouldn't work.

Let's say, PromptCritical, that 30 years from now you develop a working timemachine. You COULD go back in time and give yourself the time machine for what would be tomorrow.

However, in doing so, you would displace the timeline for when you created the timemachine (instead of 30 years from now, it becomes tomorrow) and thus it would cease to exist (since if you aren't there to invent it 30 years from now, it can't be built to be given to you tomorrow).

Savvy, now?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:58:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jim

content.ytmnd.com/content/6/5/f/65f4a1ec5a001a02396ac2d1baa8e31a.jpg

[NapoleonDynamite]Wouldn't it be great if we could go back to say.........1984?[NapoleonDynamite]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:04:51 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think that would boil down to ethics [edit: even if it were possible to do that]. I'd imagine time-travel would be more heavily controlled than any known weapons by the world bodies just because of that (Hell, I'd just send myself the numbers for all the lotteries of one day and play them. Then again, I think about the ethics of this and WOULDN'T DO IT)
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:07:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jim

content.ytmnd.com/content/6/5/f/65f4a1ec5a001a02396ac2d1baa8e31a.jpg

[NapoleonDynamite]Wouldn't it be great if we could go back to say.........1984?[NapoleonDynamite]

We coulda took state.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:16:36 AM EDT
[#22]
I am going to go back in time and tell myself to stop wearing baseball caps so I will still have my hair.

(to heck with the paradox it creates)
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:29:48 AM EDT
[#23]

Well, if I invent a time machine, I'm going to go back and invest $100 each in Wal Mart, Microsoft, and about a dozen other countries.  I will do this _before_ I set up a committee on ethics of time travel.

Jim
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:34:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Tag!!!!
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:03:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top