Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
11/20/2019 5:07:11 PM
Posted: 8/2/2009 6:09:01 AM EST
Was cruising Amazon yesterday and saw a Bushnell lazer boresighter kit that fits .22 up to .50 cal.

For $24.55 I figured I may as well take a chance and buy a new toy.

Anybody have one ?

Pros/cons ?

I'm putting this in GD because I cant find a topic on them in the othe forums.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:21:05 AM EST
May or may not work. I find old-fashioned bore sighting far more effective.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:24:43 AM EST
light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:25:35 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/2/2009 6:26:04 AM EST by postpostban]
I'd rather shoot $24.55 worth of ammo.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:26:23 AM EST
I find them to be a time saver, but I ALWAYS confirm/tweak a zero manually.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:29:29 AM EST
Originally Posted By Chokey:
light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation

What he said: laSer.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:31:12 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:34:49 AM EST
I saw one at Wal-mart and almost got it until I saw the little zip lock bag of cheesy plastic adapters that I would be expected to haul around with it.

They make you think its a drop in and go for all those different calibers but it isnt!
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:43:51 AM EST
Originally Posted By postpostban:
I'd rather shoot $24.55 worth of ammo.

That's about 1 box of decent .308.

The first thing I'm going to to when it gets here next week is put it in a drill chuck and see if the LASER dot goes around in a circle @ 50yds.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:14:30 AM EST
Instead of these, sight in your rifle the old fashioned way. Make sure the first, cold shot is where you aim. Now, move to the 25 yard range. Open the action and center the bore on a target. Without moving the rifle, look through the scope, then place a target dot on the aiming point. Verify the boresighting and aiming. Save this target and keep it with the rifle in case the scope ever gets damaged.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:21:53 AM EST
TAG for pics of your barrel blown up after you forget to take it out.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:30:13 AM EST
Originally Posted By cjk:
TAG for pics of your barrel blown up after you forget to take it out. http://www.fmft.net/Rifle%20zeroing%20laser%20bore%20sight%20blow­n%20barrel.jpg

NO THEY DIDN'T
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:30:21 AM EST
TAG for pics of your barrel blown up after you forget to take it out. http://www.fmft.net/Rifle%20zeroing%20laser%20bore%20sight%20blow­n%20barrel.jpg

You owe me a keyboard and a monitor.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:31:43 AM EST
I have one and have used it a little.

They are useful for getting you "on paper" in a hurry.

They are not useful for fine accuracy adjustments.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:37:34 AM EST
I have both a laser and optical one. the optical won't work on a ar as the sites are too high. The laser is great for getting you on paper,which is what the are designed for. I use it for checking the timing on barrels. you think your Ar has a canted front site? can be check really easy with a laser one. thats how I time my guns these days.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:39:07 AM EST
I use one and I think it saves me it's cost in ammo. I use a piece of reflective tape on a piece of metal and hang it at 100 yds. Works best if it's not bright sunlight, but it will put my first shot within 2" @ 100 yds if the rifle shoots good. Saves a lot of wasted time and ammo.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:40:25 AM EST
Originally Posted By omega62:

That's why I ordered it. I'm putting a scope on my Cetme and want to get it dialed in fairly close before I start dumping expensive ammo down range.

Plus I think it will help when I get my AR build finished, It's an oldschool KISS A2 with the carry handle, and I plan on scoping that as well.

I'm farsighted, and have a hard time (damb near impossible) looking through an aperature rear sight.

Wonder if it would work with any hanguns, I'm thinking of building a picatinny rail setup for my CZ-52 and adding a laser to that as well.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:43:38 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/2/2009 7:46:02 AM EST by Wash-Ar15]
Originally Posted By Ryderhard:
Originally Posted By omega62:

That's why I ordered it. I'm putting a scope on my Cetme and want to get it dialed in fairly close before I start dumping expensive ammo down range.

Plus I think it will help when I get my AR build finished, It's an oldschool KISS A2 with the carry handle, and I plan on scoping that as well.

I'm farsighted, and have a hard time (damb near impossible) looking through an aperature rear sight.

Wonder if it would work with any hanguns, I'm thinking of building a picatinny rail setup for my CZ-52 and adding a laser to that as well.

it will work on hand guns. You don't relly need to use it st 100yard. 30 feet is more than enough. tape a bulleseye on the wall and then site the scope. It will get you on paper.

BTW,i have 2 laser. the bushnell and a laserlyte.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:50:43 AM EST
Originally Posted By Ryderhard:

You owe me a keyboard and a monitor.

I'm wiping the coffee of mine now
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:07:22 AM EST
For the device to be useful, it needs to be calibrated to the barrel, like the military AIMSS laser bore sight system. Unfortunately, doing that is a bigger pain in the ass then zeroing your weapon. Any cheap one for $25 is probably next-to-useless.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:10:38 AM EST
Thanks. Saved me some money. Have thought about getting one of these for a while but guess not.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:17:32 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/2/2009 8:19:01 AM EST by Zhukov]
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:17:42 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/2/2009 8:22:50 AM EST by offctr]
I use one to get on the paper ––thats all they are for. You will not get fine zero or pinpoint accuracy from one you only get that by shooting and trying out different loads etc.
like Zukov said I have heard of several people that use em to confirm zero while out and about in the woods or after the rifle has been transported by say the airlines or such.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:18:32 AM EST
Originally Posted By TC6969:
I saw one at Wal-mart and almost got it until I saw the little zip lock bag of cheesy plastic adapters that I would be expected to haul around with it.

They make you think its a drop in and go for all those different calibers but it isnt!

The cheesy plastic adapters work fine. You slide it in the end of the barrel a little loose then twist it a few time to snug the fit. Mine is a cheapo too, but it's saved plenty of time, frustration, and money at the range. Mine only guaranteed to get me on paper at 100 yards, which was good enough for me.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:20:04 AM EST

Originally Posted By TC6969:

I have the WalMart one...has 4 adapters. One I keep screwed on (fits my AR and my GSG-5 just fine) and the other 3 I drop in the thin bag that houses the laser itself...
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:32:24 AM EST
I have a .223 by Osprey-Optics, and it's right on the money.

It's a real ammo saver. However, that doesn't guarantee the particular unit you buy isn't a QC winner. So, good luck with that.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:35:44 AM EST
As stated,
They are meant to "get you on paper" so not shooting rounds trying to adjust dials.

Once on paper, you "reconfirm" your scope settings and make the necessary adjustments to make the gun a "Tack Driver".

I once had a rifle that we couldn't figure out where it was shooting. Turns out it was set 16 inches high and 11 inches to the right, from the factory.
Without the boresighter, this would of been a pain. I got that scope sighted in, made final "confirming" adjustments, and have not changed a setting in 10 years.

I can bust clay pigeons (propped up on the ground) at 200 yards with it now.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:36:41 AM EST
I have found that they do not work all that great for bore sighting.

BUT...

They do help align gas blocks when doing an AR barrel change.

I mount up a rear BUIS, and mount up a front sight on the gas block rail.

Making sure the upper is level, I hang a plumb line a few feet away from the muzzle, and make sure the laser hits the plumb line.

Then, with the rear sight set at the center of it's windage adjustment, I can rotate the gas block around the barrel until it lines up with the plumb line. This way, I know the gas block is pretty close to being lined up perfectly. This method can be used to check for a canted front sight as well. Center your rear sight, level your upper, line up the laser with a plumb line, and look to see how far off your front sight post is to one side or another.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:46:00 AM EST
All bore sighting does is help you get on the paper on the first shot. It isn't going to let you hit the bulls eye on the first shot. You still have to sight it in the old fashioned way.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:48:17 AM EST
There are different types, and the type I have chambers like a cartridge. That's the good type as far as I'm concerned.

Another type that gets shoved in the muzzle end are not that great.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 9:06:26 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 9:11:13 AM EST
I have one , it will get you on paper.
it is worth the 25 bucks to me.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 9:17:21 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/2/2009 9:18:03 AM EST by Blake]
Originally Posted By Wash-Ar15:
The laser is great for getting you on paper,which is what the are designed for. I use it for checking the timing on barrels. you think your Ar has a canted front site? can be check really easy with a laser one. thats how I time my guns these days.

Exactly. I have always been "reasonably" (i.e., 6 inches) close at 100 yds. after laser sighting when I go to the range.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 9:21:41 AM EST
When you have a weapon that has commonly available ammo it is just as easy to do it the old way. I have a higher end laser tool that works great. Shooting 280 AI, 22-250 AI and a 6.5 x 284 gives you a whole new perspective on brass life. Sorry naysayers, put the time in reloading., fireforming, working up loads, reloading, range testing, reloading etc, and then tell me they suck. The tool is useful and saves a shit ton of money when you change optics, stocks, bedding, pressure points and powders. Like I said, it is a useful tool but no substiute for true field verification of zero or performance.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 9:58:12 AM EST
I tried several of the ones that you stick in the muzzle and they were worthless.

I finally got one of the Alpec kits that has a laser in a .223 sized cartridge and several other sleeves that are shaped like rounds. It goes in the chamber.

It's pricey, but it work great.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 10:11:36 AM EST
ones like bullitz work great .
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 10:32:59 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/2/2009 10:35:02 AM EST by Hedonist]
I feel like I need to relay this one experience I had recently.

My Colt 6920 had a TA01 mounted atop the carry handle, and was zeroe'd at 50 yards. The laser bore sight cowitnessed perfectly.

Then I bought the T51 adapter to mount the TA01 to the flat top rather than the carry handle. It brings the optic much closer to the bore axis and is really the correct way to do things.

Amazingly, after remounting the ACOG with the flat top adapter, then pacing off 50 yards - the laser bore sight was still in perfect crosshair alignment. I have yet to confirm at the range, but it is likely right on the money and speaks volumes for the quality of Colt and Trijicon manufacturing tolerences.

On another note - when I gave my son my Bushmaster (after the Colt purchase) I had removed the TA01 ACOG - but the weapon had never been iron sighted. We used the laser bore sight, and cranked both front and rear irons to agree with the laser dot. The irons had always been way off - for example the front sight needed 12 rotations with the rear in the proper mid position. Anyway, no ammo was wasted the first time he shot the laser sighted irons - it was right on the money.

The cartridge type laser bore sight I bought cost me $40 - and it was money well spent. Forget the muzzle mounted ones - they are just approximate-based but yes they probably get you near the paper.

Frankly, that laser is one of the best tools I've ever invested in. If you own a barrel wrench - you should also own a quality cartridge type laser bore sight. It saves money in ammo, aggravation, and could reduce the potential hazard of shooting a high powered weapon with dangerously innacurate sighting.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 10:42:34 AM EST
I use one of these.

Saves me ammo when I go sight in. They're handy especially if you have multiple optics.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 10:59:08 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/2/2009 11:05:31 AM EST by bloodsport2885]
Originally Posted By Boom_Stick:
I use one of these.

http://di1.shopping.com/images1/pi/47/a4/fb/31100444-300x300-0-0_Universal_Remote_Control_Universal_Laser_Bore_Sigh.jpg

Saves me ammo when I go sight in. They're handy especially if you have multiple optics.

I have the same one. Most of my rifles are within a few clicks of POI when I use it. Its especially good for if you build rifles. By comparing the mechanical zero to a preliminary boresight you can diagnose problems with overtight barrel nuts or canted front sights before wasting ammo.

You really start to save money with scope rifles or large calibers at long range. Just don't be a fudd and expect a boresight to be right on point of impact.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 11:13:13 AM EST
Originally Posted By Boom_Stick:
I use one of these.

http://di1.shopping.com/images1/pi/47/a4/fb/31100444-300x300-0-0_Universal_Remote_Control_Universal_Laser_Bore_Sigh.jpg

This is what I use as well. When I put the 8-32X50 on my 24" AR I put this in the barrel, and used the range finder I have to find a tree right at 100 yards away. I pointed the laser at the tree, and adjusted the scope over to it.

A couple days later I went to the range and my first two shots with the Black Hills 52 grain HP match were within an inch of the X. Both were just a touch low. I switched to Black Hills 50 grain VMax and it went about 2 1/2" low. Either way, being within 2 1/2" to start off sure as heck makes getting it sighted in easier/cheaper to do.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:28:13 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:35:47 PM EST
You are coming to the internet to ask about a $25 purchase. We really are in tough economical times, aren't we?
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:42:08 PM EST

Originally Posted By v-dawg:
You are coming to the internet to ask about a $25 purchase. We really are in tough economical times, aren't we?

Even if he spends more for a nicer model, it will pay off quickly in reduced ammo costs. Rent it to friends... $5 per use - just get it back immediately.

Remember though - these are perilous times we're in...
Top Top