Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2001 8:17:13 AM EDT
Does anyone know of any cases where citizens with CCW permits but who were denied the right to carry, such as in a business, when a crime happend and they got hurt, have sued the business?  If so what was the outcome of the case?
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 9:21:14 AM EDT
[#1]
The most famous one is Suzanne or Susanna Gratias-Hupp, her parents were killed in the killeen lubys massaccre and she was not allowed to carry her weapon because of a sign on the door. she's a texas lagislator now and makes laws about this kind of stuff.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 10:25:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Maybe twenty years ago, thw wife of one of the guys in my bullseye league (Utica NY) wanted to get a permit so she could shoot with us.  The local CoP refused her a permit on the grounds that "wimmim shouldn't be messin' with guns".  They threatened for a while, finally got a lawyer & filed suit.  She got her permit on the day the suit was filed.  NY (not NYC) has fairly specific criteria for refusing a permit.  

AFAIK she is still shooting with the league.

Norm
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 10:44:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Probably not. Most CCW statutes allow entities to restrict CCW on their own property (some say you are trespassing if you ignore them). I have no duty to allow a person to bring a lawfully possessed firearm on my property (whether or not I would let them is irrelevant). I wouldn't think a business would either.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 11:56:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I've heard of a couple of suits that were or have been filed but I haven't heard anything beyond that.

My work place is creating a policy on weapons and is considering banning all weapons even if you have a CCW permit.  I'm trying to come up with a good argument against that.

I've heard people say that if the company doesn't allow it, then they are responsible for your safety.  But other than people talking about it, I have no proof if that is true or not.  Anybody know?
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 12:01:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top